nynewsguy

Should WABC welcome Sam back?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should WABC welcome Sam back?

No crap. I just mean that, even though Shirleen is pregnant (which would be well out of view), you'd think they'd reshoot everyone for a new open. If they did, then why not use it?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 24994J said:

No crap. I just mean that, even though Shirleen is pregnant (which would be well out of view), you'd think they'd reshoot everyone for a new open. If they did, then why not use it?

Could it be they need to edit it still? Unless they’re waiting until after Shirleen comes back. 

I'm hypothesizing as we don't yet have ratings numbers, but let us not forget the positive downstream effect this is likely to have for ABC.  Sam's return will probably generate a bump in viewership for EWN This Morning, and some of these additional viewers will keep the dial tuned to Channel 7 for GMA.  So, GMA is bound to experience a small bump in viewers as well.

Now that you mention that I would think that’s a big part of why WABC was willing to pay Sam likely a good deal of money to return and appear on mornings. A bump in the ratings for GMA from DMA # 1 would be a big deal. None of the other morning shows as anyone as well know as Sam. Now let’s hope no one tries to scoop up Matt Lauer for ratings.

What I would be really curious to know is if Sam came in the picture after Bill was no longer in the picture or if Bill was and was offered a demotion to weekends so Sam can take over mornings and that’s why he left on such bad terms. 

1 hour ago, nydem2015 said:

Now that you mention that I would think that’s a big part of why WABC was willing to pay Sam likely a good deal of money to return and appear on mornings. A bump in the ratings for GMA from DMA # 1 would be a big deal. None of the other morning shows as anyone as well know as Sam. Now let’s hope no one tries to scoop up Matt Lauer for ratings.

What I would be really curious to know is if Sam came in the picture after Bill was no longer in the picture or if Bill was and was offered a demotion to weekends so Sam can take over mornings and that’s why he left on such bad terms. 

You can rest assured no one will be scooping up Matt Lauer.

I would hope not. Now here’s a question. Would WNBC be smart to throw some money at Al Roker to get him to do the weather for TINY before he does the today show? Who knows if he would even be interested in doing that. 

5 hours ago, mountainave said:

I'm hypothesizing as we don't yet have ratings numbers, but let us not forget the positive downstream effect this is likely to have for ABC.  Sam's return will probably generate a bump in viewership for EWN This Morning, and some of these additional viewers will keep the dial tuned to Channel 7 for GMA.  So, GMA is bound to experience a small bump in viewers as well.

I wouldn’t bet on it. Sam was on GMA for 7 years after his WABC stint and the show was still a distant second behind Today with little viewer growth. One DMA doesn’t have an impact on a national broadcast.

On 6/4/2019 at 12:38 PM, mountainave said:

The problem with this theory is that it ignores the fact that EWN This Morning and Bill Evans were already very popular in the morning, already funneling a significant audience to GMA. I don’t think Sam Champion will produce a significant ratings increase. Instead, and probably more importantly, he will protect the current position and help prevent a ratings slip. In this case, no significant numbers change could be viewed as a success.

1 hour ago, kshow said:

Only been back for 4 days and he’s already off... interesting. 

He is off on Fridays. He mentioned on social media, in responses to followers, that he and his husband will be in Miami Fridays thru Sundays. 

2 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

He is off on Fridays. He mentioned on social media, in responses to followers, that he and his husband will be in Miami Fridays thru Sundays. 

Sounds like a part-time position he took then for just four days a week of morning weather with Fridays being off.

4 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Does Champion own a house/condo in Miami?

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Sounds like a part-time position he took then for just four days a week of morning weather with Fridays being off.

Many folks now work, and prefer  "4-10's"  in broadcasting...

4 days a week...

10 hours per day...

"Full-Time " status so they get the union bennies being over 32 hours per week....anything under 32 hours per week is considered part-time according to the dept of labor.

Broadcasters like it because it solves some scheduling issues.

9 minutes ago, Eat News said:

Many folks now work, and prefer  "4-10's"  in broadcasting...

4 days a week...

10 hours per day...

Which definitely makes sense, considering his broadcast schedule.

One of the benefits of being a draw is having the luxury to be able to only work 4 days a week. It seems like a took a while for a contact to be agreed to by both parties. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why. If that’s the case it means that WABC needed Sam more then Sam needed WABC.

Didn't one of us mention that someone on WPVI does this very same thing? So its not uncommon.. Especially now that Sam is much older it would make sense that they do this so they don't stretch him thin.

Ever work 4 10's before? The difference between working 8 hours a day and 10 in a broadcast position is negligible unless you're in the field running around. It might as well be 4 8's for the way it feels.

4 hours ago, Vlad said:

Didn't one of us mention that someone on WPVI does this very same thing? So its not uncommon.. Especially now that Sam is much older it would make sense that they do this so they don't stretch him thin.

I mentioned that David Murphy usually has Fridays at noon off, but he still works Friday mornings.

I don’t see what all the fuss about Sam is. He comes off as a divo. I’m sure he is getting paid handsomely, so why shouldn’t he at least have to work Friday morning?

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

I mentioned that David Murphy usually has Fridays at noon off, but he still works Friday mornings.

I don’t see what all the fuss about Sam is. He comes off as a divo. I’m sure he is getting paid handsomely, so why shouldn’t he at least have to work Friday morning?

Because he probably has to wash, and pack  his man hammocks on Friday mornings, so they are tidy and fresh for his weekend in Miami.

image.png.796389bb5779a5ce7205da4db0b78062.png

"Ya gotta look sharp!"

(Joe Jackson)

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

Good question. I’m guessing WABC was really desperate to get Sam. Considering that supposedly Sam and WABC were in discussions for Sams return in 2016 and that it took months to hire Sam after Bill left/was let go despite that he was available my presumption is that the negotiations were difficult and that WABC felt they needed Sam. I understand that although perhaps they would be better off in the long term if they had Jeff or Amy in the mornings. I don’t see Sam wanting to do this for long. Supposedly his first run at WABC when it was just Sam, Bill and Lee that one day when Bill was away on vacation Lee who was supposed to fill in got sick and that Sam was pretty much forced to fill in as he didn’t want to wake up to fill in on mornings and that even so he refused to stick around to do GMA cut ins or the noon newscast and Lee ended up getting in by 7 despite being sick.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived