DMA 193: The Delta News

NWA_TV_guy

When I watched Breaking Greenville, I laughed my ass off when WABG's morbidly obese news director Pam Chatman called herself the "Oprah of the South". "Uh, who are you?!!" I guess this chick has never met Monica Kaufman-Pearson, she's the Oprah of the South. Chatman loves touting how she was the first black female news director in the state of Mississippi. Way to narrow down your barrier breaking Pam! I can't wait to see the first Hispanic male news director in the state of Mississippi. (It has probably happened already)

Pam-Chatman.jpg

Just saying....

vbg.png.768fac655c50e17c98b2d0f40f4eb6bc.png

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Okay, Their website has a tweaked URL deltanews.tv. The message says that website is under construction.

They must've launched this website days ago because last week, I clicked on the former URL (yourdeltanews.com) it was completly blank.

On top of the site, it said this:

You've reached the website for Cala Broadcast Partners LLC, owner and operator of WABG (ABC), WNBD-D1 (CBS), WNBD-D2 (NBC) and WABG-D2 (FOX) serving the Mississippi Delta.

This site is currently under construction.

So did they move CBS to WNBD 33.1 & moved NBC to 33.2? Or is this a misprint? And what happens to WXVT's signal? There's no silent STAs filed on WXVT. I say this because a user from another forum said that WNBD is carrying CBS on a subchannel but my heavy assumption was that CBS was carried on 33.2. But the site says otherwise.

What was also said on the site was its office was at WXVT's building, and it will move to WABG's facility once renovation is completed.

• 3 months later...
As per RabbitEars. it appears that the "new" WXVT-LD will be serving as a repeater of WNBD as each station is apparently carrying CBS & NBC.

I was looking at the contours of both LPs. Both stations are on different towers. WNBD's contour is heavily directional serving Greenville & Greenwood proper, and portions to the southeast. While WXVT's signal is non-directional, and serves some of the northern sections that's not reached by WNBD.

• 8 months later...
Surprised there's no 9pm show on the Fox affiliate.

There's a 9 p.m. newscast on the FOX affiliate. Also, here's the new look for The Delta News posted below. Their website (deltanews.tv) is finally up and running as well.

Is it just me, or are they shooting stories on iPhones??

It's you...

Cuz it's market 193...

There aint' no Apple store within 500 miles...

So they are probably shooting on Wallmart pre-pay TracPhones.

BTW

When is your friend A.J. gonna get a job?

I miss him.

It's you...

Cuz it's market 193...

There aint' no Apple store within 500 miles...

So they are probably shooting on Wallmart pre-pay TracPhones.

BTW

When is your friend A.J. gonna get a job?

I miss him.

The closest Apple Store to Greenville, MS is located at Renaissance at Colony Park in Ridgeland, MS.

Also, we have to remember that stations in the small rural DMAs are run in smaller budgets as their major source of revenue comes from crooked car dealers.

So wait a minute, aren't there like anti-trust laws or FCC violations for running all four network stations in one market? I mean that screams monopoly and lack of choices for news. I don't care if its Market 193 and they barely scrape by for content, how is this allowed?

So wait a minute, aren't there like anti-trust laws or FCC violations for running all four network stations in one market? I mean that screams monopoly and lack of choices for news. I don't care if its Market 193 and they barely scrape by for content, how is this allowed?

You should see Yuma,AZ.

They also have a Cracker Barrel and Golden Corral... in case you get bored with TV.

ABC/Fox are a full-power station, NBC and CBS are low-power stations. Granted CBS was once full-power and the red flags came up when saga sold the original WXVT to the children of the person who bought WABG when Bahakel cashed out, but it isn't all that different than any similar sized market where Gray has patched together a full power and a bunch of subchannels and low-power stations. In fact, if Brady ever ends up spinning off stations this cluster has Gray written all over it.

Is it ethical? Debatable. But the loopholes especially in a market that small/sparse can easily be abused.

What is the alternative, piping in adjacent markets on cable? There is no market for any other companies to come in.

glad he found a job !

Check this out...from his station bio...

"His career started in North Dakota as a reporter and you may have recognized him from an appearance on "David Letterman", "NBC Today Show" and "Live with Kelly and Michael".

Why was he on those TV shows?????

Ell..Ohhh..Freakin..Ell !

Work it baby...Work it!

So wait a minute, aren't there like anti-trust laws or FCC violations for running all four network stations in one market? I mean that screams monopoly and lack of choices for news.

Everything besides ABC and Fox is on two other low-power stations. There's no low-power limit on ownership. That's the major problem I have with these 'pop-up' affiliates in small markets; you know anyone would love to have the Jackson and/or Memphis stations with actual news departments and quality controls, but then you have these people come in, the networks give them an affiliate license even if their history is 'TBN translator and then a few years with Retro TV with nobody watching', and do it horribly.

Archived