DMA 193: The Delta News

NWA_TV_guy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kept scrolling down, got to John Brady, and said to myself, "He looks like the sort of guy who's seen it all, done it all, and knows where all the bodies are buried." Then his biography confirmed it.

They're not the ratings leader there, are they?

• 1 year later...

The Delta News launched a new television station, WFXW (Channel 15), licensed to Greenville, on July 29, 2019. It is an affiliate of Ion Television. It is controlled out of the offices of the Delta News on Washington Avenue in downtown Greenville.

• 7 months later...

Interestingly, The Delta News seems to be providing newscasts for other stations these days. It produces newscasts for KLAX in Alexandria, LA, featuring local reports out of Alexandria but anchor and weather in Greenville (video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72iYRQkD-Vs). It also seems to be providing at least weather, if not news as well, to a station in Eureka, CA (likely KIEM, also owned by Cox), based on recent uploads to its YouTube account (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggPsZ127Y3E). Ironically, Alexandria is a larger DMA.

I think the KLAX agreement began before the Cox purchase, but I'm not sure about the KIEM one. Makes me wonder what else Cox may have in store for these stations.

• 7 months later...

In 2021, the Greenville-Greenwood, MS Market will be without two stations, ION Television and The CW. The market will be without an ION affiliate due to the current station, WFXW (The former WXVT signal on Ch.15) being an O&O of Tri-State Christian Television. The ION contract was signed by former WFXW owner John Wagner on July 18, 2018 but due to the station being off the air at the time, the contract did not go into effect until July 29, 2019 and will end on July 29, 2021. Once this happens, TCT will NOT renew the contract and will replace it with TCT-SD or Light TV.  I do not want this market to wait another eight years for ION programming. Also in 2021, the market will still be without a CW affiliate. This market is always last at everything. The evidence is mounting because it took us until 2006 to get a FOX station (as a subchannel) and it took until 2010 to get NBC up and running (i.e. WNBD-LD). If the CW does not get here in late 2021 or early 2022, at this rate it will be 2060 before we finally get a CW affiliate in the MS Delta. I speak for the people that cannot afford cable and satellite and watch their shows via an antenna or a streaming service. I understand that WXVT did not have money to build a CW affiliate. Now they are owned by Cox Media Group, a company with a lot of money and resources. Fourteen-Fifteen years is long enough. They need to listen to their viewers and get them what they have wanted for years. I encourage everyone in this forum from the Greenville-Greenwood market to contact Delta News, The CW, ION, or even Cox Media Group and share this message to get this across to viewers with cable, satellite, or OTA.  

The CW: WXVT-LD 17.2

ION Television: WNBD-LD 33.2

Archived