DMA 193: The Delta News

NWA_TV_guy

WABG (ABC & FOX), WNBD-LD (NBC) and WXVT (CBS), all either owned and/or operated by Northwest Broadcasting, have consolidated under one branding (The Delta News) and, at this time, it seems that WXVT's news department is the only one of the group that's producing newscasts. The group's website, www.yourdeltanews.com, only displays a message that says the site is "under construction."

Don't expect big things to happen with this change in this market. This seems solely to be a move to cut expenses and, unfortunately, staff.

WIKIPEDIA: "Commonwealth Broadcasting Group agreed to sell WABG-TV, WNBD-LD, and WFXW-LD to Cala Broadcast Partners for $11.7 million on October 30, 2015. Cala is jointly owned by Brian Brady (who owns several other television stations, mostly under the Northwest Broadcasting name) and Jason Wolff (who owns radio and television stations through Frontier Radio Management).[6] Concurrently with this acquisition, Cala agreed to purchase WXVT from H3 Communications; a month later, it assigned its right to purchase that station to John Wagner.[7] The sale was completed on August 1, 2016."

delta.thumb.jpg.f78742e420f7ce2dcc071e261b462b23.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems like on the FOX affiliate... WABG 6.2 / FOX 10 Delta... the only newscast that's aired there is a repeat of the 5:00pm news at 5:30pm.

That's kind of lame. Can't even pre-tape a 9pm show sometime during the evening?

Didn't know WXVT is producing the newscasts now. Speaking of WXVT, I'm surprised that no one here or Wikipedia mentioned Breaking Greenville, TruTV's Making News-ish show (took place at both 'XVT and 'ABG) that aired last year.

...could be a reason to blow up the market now that the show took place...

Anyone still there who was on the show?

Last year, I posted in the Out and About thread that WABG's Justin Moore joined Buffalo's WKBW. He's now an MMJ there.

If the market was blown up, where would be the best fit - Jackson, Memphis or Tupelo/Columbus?

The Greenwood-Greenville market would probably wind up being split between the adjacent markets with Jackson getting the southern half and Memphis getting most of the northern half (including Cleveland, MS) with Tupelo/Columbus likely to pick up one or two counties in the process.

Didn't know WXVT is producing the newscasts now. Speaking of WXVT, I'm surprised that no one here or Wikipedia mentioned Breaking Greenville, TruTV's Making News-ish show (took place at both 'XVT and 'ABG) that aired last year.

I wonder how bad of a boy Steve Shill had to be to end up on that show...Shill was a WX guy at KNTV in the 80's and early 90's. From watching the show I get the feeling that Steve is growing pot and running a whisky still in his spare bedroom.

I wonder how bad of a boy Steve Shill had to be to end up on that show...Shill was a WX guy at KNTV in the 80's and early 90's. From watching the show I get the feeling that Steve is growing pot and running a whisky still in his spare bedroom.

I missed Schill from the days he was at WFLD. Those were the good ol' days at 32.

He is now at WCBI now as an anchor/reporter.

When I watched Breaking Greenville, I laughed my ass off when WABG's morbidly obese news director Pam Chatman called herself the "Oprah of the South". "Uh, who are you?!!" I guess this chick has never met Monica Kaufman-Pearson, she's the Oprah of the South. Chatman loves touting how she was the first black female news director in the state of Mississippi. Way to narrow down your barrier breaking Pam! I can't wait to see the first Hispanic male news director in the state of Mississippi. (It has probably happened already)

Pam-Chatman.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Right, because she was born in a small Mississippi town.

And by the way...Monica Pearson beat Oprah -- and Jane Pauley -- for the WSB anchor job in 1975!

That makes Oprah the Monica of the south...which places Jane just north of that.

Archived