2016 Election Coverage

TheRolyPoly

Yeah, all press releases had Charlie being on. He had a lot to say during a sit-down with George during GMA's 40 for 40 special last year. As for his aging, he has been off the air for 7 years, though I contend that he must've been wearing a very nice hairpiece in the later years. No one loses their hair like that in such a short amount of time so late in life. Of course, all that's a discussion for another day. Nice to have him back, either way.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like NBC is declaring a projected winner faster than the other networks this year. For example, even though they are probably right about SC being Donald Trump, all the other networks as of yet hasn't declare him a winner.

It seems like NBC is declaring a projected winner faster than the other networks this year. For example, even though they are probably right about SC being Donald Trump, all the other networks as of yet hasn't declare him a winner.

They're way ahead of most other networks with the 8 ET calls as well. NBC has 75/66 Clinton vs CBS 44/51 Trump as an example.

WPVI is doing local coverage on their website, with Jim Gardner anchoring. Just a few minutes in and I'm already impressed. Jim is better than some network anchors. (I'm particularly thinking of one who I won't name, but his name begins with the letter "Wolf Blitzer".)

Some Baltimore results tickers:

WBAL's is unnecessarily huge:

[MEDIA=imgur]CuzouBG[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=imgur]9uDO5uT[/MEDIA]

Some jib action:

[MEDIA=imgur]SBVkwag[/MEDIA]

WJZ's graphics:

[MEDIA=imgur]LPwEll0[/MEDIA]

They surprisingly made their ticker match CBS':

[MEDIA=imgur]LCuR7OJ[/MEDIA]

WMAR's is spartan:

gYpbeBY.jpg

WBFF is looking like they're running an SD feed of Fox's coverage

MavUvJP.jpg

They're way ahead of most other networks with the 8 ET calls as well. NBC has 75/66 Clinton vs CBS 44/51 Trump as an example.

PBS is relying on the Associated Press for their electoral vote count.

And as we speak, even Global in Canada has the election covered along with CBC (both on their YouTube pages).

As I type this and I don't know if this has been mentioned, C-SPAN2 is rebroadcasting CBC's coverage of the U. S. election between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Checking out the coverage, the CBC is doing a good job covering this important election here in the states.

The national coverage is great, but the local coverage here is a different story. I like WTWO, but tonight their coverage is nothing but craziness. I feel like a college station could do better. The anchors will be talking about one race, and they'll air a graphic for a different race, the anchors also just stop reading in the middle of a story and awkwardly starat the camera for like 30 seconds and then say they're now simulcasting on both WTWO and WAWV while the intro airs again, live shots are lost while on air, and just a whole bunch of other heticness. WTHI's coverage isn't bad, but they're only airing 2 minute updates once every hour.

I captured some of STL's election coverage openings: KTVI's 9 and 10PM, KPLR's 4PM (I think, it was a stream replay and they don't show lower thirds online for some odd reason), and KMOV's 10PM.

(Sorry for the bar at the top on some of them, takes way to long to select the region on the screen recorder so I just popped out the video into a small window and captured that with the title bar. Also couldn't get KSDK because website issues and KDNL doesn't do any.)

[GALLERY=media, 936]You Decide 2016 at 9PM | FOX 2 KTVI | News Open by bgiesing posted Nov 8, 2016 at 10:43 PM[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 938]You Decide 2016 at 10PM | FOX 2 KTVI | News Open by bgiesing posted Nov 8, 2016 at 10:49 PM[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 935]Election on 11 2016 | News 11 KPLR | News Open by bgiesing posted Nov 8, 2016 at 8:53 PM[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 937]Campaign 2016 | News 4 KMOV | News Open by bgiesing posted Nov 8, 2016 at 10:45 PM[/GALLERY]

KCRA's coverage via KQCA had half their election cut off due to technical difficulties. KXTV has no Election Ticker or graphics except cards so they only used ABC's graphics instead. KOVR opened with no fanfare and went straight to their coverage and back to CBS with the KOVR logo inside their ticker since KOVR is a CBS O&O. KTXL had to cut from their coverage to FOX news. KCSO used NBC coverage in Spanish (Telemundo)

NBC's election studio seems very small when compared to ABC's and especially FOX's. The low ceiling effect makes it look almost claustrophobic.

I wonder how much KUSI would die to pay to get that desk with the star in the middle. It screams KUSI with a retro twist of the LA Olympics logo.

I found it really odd that FOX Seattle (KCPQ) didn't air FOX network coverage (they're going local the whole night), and FOX 25 Boston (WHDH) had network coverage for a couple of hours before going local as well.

I found it really odd that FOX Seattle (KCPQ) didn't air FOX network coverage (they're going local the whole night), and FOX 25 Boston (WHDH) had network coverage for a couple of hours before going local as well.

WFXT you mean.

WSVN stayed local throughout primetime.

I captured some of STL's election coverage openings: KTVI's 9 and 10PM, KPLR's 4PM (I think, it was a stream replay and they don't show lower thirds online for some odd reason), and KMOV's 10PM.

(Sorry for the bar at the top on some of them, takes way to long to select the region on the screen recorder so I just popped out the video into a small window and captured that with the title bar. Also couldn't get KSDK because website issues and KDNL doesn't do any.)

[GALLERY=media, 936]You Decide 2016 at 9PM | FOX 2 KTVI | News Open by bgiesing posted Nov 8, 2016 at 10:43 PM[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 938]You Decide 2016 at 10PM | FOX 2 KTVI | News Open by bgiesing posted Nov 8, 2016 at 10:49 PM[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 935]Election on 11 2016 | News 11 KPLR | News Open by bgiesing posted Nov 8, 2016 at 8:53 PM[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 937]Campaign 2016 | News 4 KMOV | News Open by bgiesing posted Nov 8, 2016 at 10:45 PM[/GALLERY]

KMOV has been using that font they're using on the ticker for a lot of other things lately. I think that ti's a sign that a new overall graphics package is coming soon.

KMOV has been using that font they're using on the ticker for a lot of other things lately. I think that ti's a sign that a new overall graphics package is coming soon.

Well the ticker is almost the exact same as the CBS national one so maybe it's because CBS provided an election template for local stations to use. So this could be for the election, not necessarily that KMOV will rebrand.

To add to the videos I shared above, KTVI did a "Special Early Edition" this morning (instead of the 11pm repeat) so here's that open also.

[GALLERY=media, 939]You Decide 2016: Special Early Edition at 3:30am | FOX 2 KTVI | News Open by bgiesing posted Nov 9, 2016 at 3:43 AM[/GALLERY]

does fox require its affiliates to air network election coverage? i always thought they did

I would say that a messy election resulted in messy coverage throughout the networks.

CBS's looked like a buffet table with Scott Pelley, Bob Schieffer, and the This Morning gang, though it was an improvement from 2012's when they did theirs from the usual Evening News studio.

I only saw small snippets of ABC, so I can't say anything about them. CNN? They were solid as always.

But this time, NBC was my go-to place, and there wouldn't be an Election Night without Tom Brokaw (who worked his 11th Presidential election in some capacity). Their presentation was top-notch; as for calls, they had an advantage over the others (ABC, CBS, CNN, and PBS all relied on the Associated Press for their projections). I would admit that NBC made great use of their fourth-floor studio with their famous electoral map virtually injected into the Rockefeller Center skating rink.

By the way...I went to bed at 1:00 am in the hopes that Hillary Clinton would come from behind, but woke up to the news that it was already over the second Pennsylvania -- and thus, the election -- went to Trump.

Has a network interrupted programming because someone conceded? the closest would be 1960 and 2004.

You also have to remember that it wasn't an ordinary concession speech. She didn't give the speech until the next day (read, 10am or whatever later that day) rather than when the results became apparent, which is highly unusual.

presdient obama will have his post-election news conference at 3:15 eastern this afternoon, any chance the brodcast networks offer this as an optional special report the way fox does

I'm guessing they'll carry it. They usually carry the big press conferences.

Archived