2016 Election Coverage

TheRolyPoly

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was compiling the following list of election coverage plans on non-US broadcasters for my own use, but I figured I'd share here as well. I always enjoy watching presidential election coverage from an international perspective, even when I can't understand the language the coverage is in.

All times listed are Eastern. Any description involving "evening," "night," etc. also refers to those time periods from an Eastern Time Zone perspective, and not necessarily in reference to the actual time of day in the indicated countries.

I generally didn't include dedicated news channels because it's nearly a given that they will have some kind of special coverage.

PSB = Public-service broadcaster -- in many countries, especially in Europe, public broadcasters are the most likely to have special coverage.

Australia

• PSB ABC has special coverage from 6 PM to at least 2 AM. However, there will be an interruption at 10 PM to cover Question Time in the Australian House of Representatives (US Election coverage continues uninterrupted on the news channel ABC News 24).
  • Nine has special coverage from 7 PM to at least 11 PM.
  • PSB SBS has special coverage from 6:55 PM to at least 12:30 AM. Coverage plans include simulcasting PBS.
  • Seven has special coverage from 6 PM to at least 1 AM.
  • Ten has special coverage from 6 PM to at least 11 PM.

Austria

• PSB ORF begins special coverage at 5:55 PM on ORF eins. At 6:20 PM, the coverage moves over to ORF 2 and continues through the evening.
  • Puls 4 has special coverage starting at 8:40 PM and continuing through the evening.

Belgium

• In Flanders, PSB VRT has special coverage starting at 4:35 PM and continuing through the evening on its "Canvas" channel. Preceding the live coverage will be an encore airing of the third presidential debate.
  • In Wallonia, PSB RTBF has special coverage on la une starting at 6 PM and continuing through the evening. The coverage is a collaboration between RTS of Switzerland and TV5Monde of France.

Czech Republic

• PSB Česká televize has special coverage starting at 6:30 PM and continuing through the evening and night on its news channel ČT24. From Midnight to 3 AM, primary channel ČT1 will also have special coverage.

Denmark

• PSB DR will basically have wall-to-wall election coverage on DR2 all day on Tuesday until early Wednesday evening. Part of the coverage plans includes airing the Stephen Colbert Election Special.
  • After dedicating much of Tuesday to election-themed documentaries, PSB TV 2 will go live with special coverage from 3:40 PM to 2 AM on its main channel. Meanwhile, TV 2 Zulu will have an election-themed comedy and entertainment special starting at 4:20 PM and continuing through the evening.

Finland

• PSB Yle starts off coverage with a documentary at 6:45 PM on TV 1 and then goes live at 7:45 PM for the rest of the evening and night.

France

• Canal+ airs a program called Election americaine: Showtime! from 4:50 PM to 5:45 PM. Then, from 6:45 PM to 7:15 PM the satirical puppets of Les Guignols have an election special.
  • PSB France Télévisions airs a special edition of Grand Soir 3 live from New York on France 3 from 5:05 PM to 5:50 PM. Then, France 2 airs a number of special news reports and bulletins from 12:25 AM to 3:25 AM.

• TMC (technically from Monaco) airs a special broadcast of the infotainment show Quotidien (Daily) starting at 5:35 PM and continuing through the evening.

Germany

• PSB 3sat simulcasts coverage from ORF 2 in Austria from 6:20 PM to 1 AM (3sat is a cooperative effort of the Austrian, German, and Swiss public broadcasters and airs programming from all three countries).

• PSB ARD has special coverage starting at 4:45 PM and continuing through the evening on Das Erste, the country's primary public television channel.

• PSB Phoneix has special coverage starting at 6 PM and continuing through the evening and night.

• Prosieben has special updates planned throughout the evening, but no continuous live coverage
  • RTL has a special scheduled from 5 PM to 6 PM and then a special edition of Guten Morgen Deutschland (Good Morning Germany) beginning at 10 PM.
  • Sat.1 has a special scheduled from 9:05 PM to 9:15 PM and then a special edition of Sat.1-Frühstücks-fernsehen (Sat.1 Breakfast Television) beginning at 10:55 PM.
  • PSB ZDF has special coverage starting at 5:15 PM and continuing through the evening.

Greece

• PSB ERT has special coverage from 6 PM to 11 PM on ERT 1.

Iceland

• PSB RÚV has special coverage from 6:40 PM to 12:40 AM. Only the first 20 minutes of the coverage will be from Iceland; starting at 7 PM coverage will turn to a simulcast of CBS for the remainder of the evening.

Ireland

• PSB RTÉ has special coverage on RTÉ One from 6:25 PM to 10:30 PM and then a simulcast of CBS for the remainder of the evening.

Israel

• Channel 2 has special coverage from 5:50 PM to 11 PM.
  • PSB IBA has a special on Channel 1 from 4 PM to 6:30 PM. The coverage then picks up again at 11 PM and continues into the night.

Italy

• Canale 5 has a TG5 news special from 8:30 PM to 11 PM.
  • PSB Rai has a special edition of the late night talk show Porta a Porta (Door-to-Door) starting at 7:35 PM on Rai 1 and continuing through the evening. Over on Rai 3, a TG3 news special airs from 6 PM to 8:30 PM, with a simulcast of the news channel RaiNews24 taking over for the rest of the evening and night.

• TV8 has special coverage from 9:35 PM to at least 10 PM.

Mexico

• Azteca Trece has special coverage from 10 PM to 12:30 AM.
  • Proyecto 40 has an hour of coverage from 7 PM to 8 PM and then three more from 9 PM to Midnight.

The Netherlands

• PSB NPO has special coverage on NPO 1 starting at 6 PM and continuing through the evening and night.

New Zealand

• TV3 has special coverage from 11 PM to Midnight.
  • TVNZ 1 has special coverage from 10:25 PM to Midnight.

Norway

• PSB NRK has special coverage on NRK1 starting at 5:15 PM and continuing through the evening.

Poland

• PSB TVP has special coverage on TVP Info starting at 6 PM and continuing through the evening.

Portugal

• PSB RTP has special coverage on RTP1 from 8:30 PM to 11 PM.

Romania

• PSB TVR has special coverage on TVR 1 starting at 5 PM and continuing through the evening.

Slovakia

• PSB RTVS has special coverage on Jednotka (One) between 2 AM and 3 AM. Additional special reports will air during the day on Wednesday.

Slovenia

• PSB RTV Slovenija has an hour of special coverage on TV SLO1 between 5:05 PM and 6:05 PM followed by another block of coverage beginning at 10:30 PM and continuing through the rest of the evening.

South Korea

• PSB KBS has special coverage on KBS1 from 6:55 PM to 1 AM.
  • MBC has special coverage first between 7 PM and 7:50 PM and then from 11:20 PM to Midnight.
  • SBS has special coverage first between 7:10 PM and 8:25 PM and then from 9:30 PM to Midnight.

Spain

• Antena 3 has special coverage beginning at 6:45 PM and continuing through the evening.
  • laSexta has special coverage beginning at 7 PM and continuing through the evening.

Sweden

• Kanal 5 holds an election night party that kicks off at 5 PM and continues through the evening.
  • PSB SVT has special coverage on SVT1 beginning at 4:30 PM and continuing through the evening and night.
  • TV3 has special coverage beginning at 6:15 PM and continuing through the evening.
  • TV4 has special coverage beginning at 5 PM and continuing through the evening.

Switzerland

• Switzerland's PSB SRG SSR consists of separate broadcasters for each of the country's four official languages. The Italian division is RSI, the Romansh division is RTR, the French division is RTS, and the German division is SRF. All but RTR have their own TV channels.

• RSI has special coverage on RSI La 1 from 7 PM to 11 PM.

• RTS has special coverage on RTS Un from 11 PM to 2:15 AM. The coverage is a collaboration between RTBF of Belgium and TV5Monde of France.
    • SRF has special coverage on SRF1 from 6:55 PM to at least 11 PM.

United Kingdom

• PSB BBC has special coverage on BBC One from 6:15 PM to 1 AM.
  • PSB ITV has special coverage on ITV from 5:40 PM to 1 AM.

Possible sneak peak at MSNBC's election Graphics or they are just playing around with different configurations.

I was noticing that tonight too; looks good for the package (though I could do without yet another news org using that same font ran into the ground by TEGNA and Sinclair). And yes, Rovi finally did switch the listings on the news channels so that it's election coverage Tuesday night rather than the regular schedule.

In Mexico, Multimedios (which is also on US cable and has a heavy border viewership) is sure to have election coverage during their regular 8-10pm newscast.

I was compiling the following list of election coverage plans on non-US broadcasters for my own use, but I figured I'd share here as well.

Holy crap that's pretty complete. I bet a few elex producers would like to rip that off.

Are you sure you are not WSVN Fan's" long lost Euro-Brother"?

Nice job to both of you. Thanks for the list.

At first I thought Eat News was kidding. He's not. The Weather Channel is playing nine hours of scenic video tomorrow starting at 3pm/ET.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/weather-channel-promises-absolutely-zero-election-coverage-on-election-day/309913

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2016/11/01/election-night-weather-channel/93127818/

NBC's election studio seems very small when compared to ABC's and especially FOX's. The low ceiling effect makes it look almost claustrophobic.

It's in a skyscraper with limited space...you work with what you can get. ABC has a big Times Square building (at least it's not coming from the small studio where most of ABC's news products now come from), and Fox lucked out with a big glass space to do what they like with. And NBC/Comcast for sure is heavily bound by NRHP guidelines with 30 Rock; no opening up of additional floors can really be done.

It's in a skyscraper with limited space...you work with what you can get. ABC has a big Times Square building (at least it's not coming from the small studio where most of ABC's news products now come from), and Fox lucked out with a big glass space to do what they like with. And NBC/Comcast for sure is heavily bound by NRHP guidelines with 30 Rock; no opening up of additional floors can really be done.

They could reclaim some of the old radio studio space around 3C and 3K, but that would require a lot of work and structural modifications and would only result in roughly a clone of each.

Photos of the newsroom indicate most of the room is lit for TV, so I have a feeling we'll be seeing them use the whole newsroom as the "studio" come tomorrow night.

The Weather Channel will be offering a 9 hour block of USA Scenic video.

Yes....

Pretty pictures to calm and sooth.....

Because on the 9th....all hell breaks loose.

And that's why I've kept our lobby TV at work on The Weather Channel for the last month. No arguing over CNN vs MSNBC vs FoxNews vs...

Breakroom - all bets are off...

J

You would think after 2012 when they were on the plaza they would do it again...

I can almost guarantee you that the Plaza studio was eliminated due to safety concerns this year. This campaign has riled up a lot of nutjobs, and it only takes one...

At first I thought Eat News was kidding. He's not. The Weather Channel is playing nine hours of scenic video tomorrow starting at 3pm/ET.

That makes more sense than what BBC America is doing: Twelve hours of...CSI: Miami.

I'm really surprised that MSNBC didn't debut a new studio and is keeping the same (small) one they've been using all election season

I wonder why they don't have the LED tiles in the desk like they did in 2014.

I also wonder if the network and MSNBC will be using VR/AR to show the results like in 2008 and to a lesser extent 2012. They'd need another space unless they're going to use the rink.

The rink's map shown thus far on MSNBC appears to be virtual. There was something neat about the old fashioned map and watching the states results being applied to the rink.

On a technical note does anyone have a guess at the resolution of the video walls. I played around with the Planar / Leyard website and just to get 1920x1080 would require a wall over 60' wide.

When Nightly went to break they had a shot of the rink and then looked up towards the tower. They had lines running on different sides of the building akin to their new Nightly News open. The open was edited as well to show the lighting of the Plaza.

Going into the final commercial break for WNT, David mentioned George, Diane(Not surprised) and Charlie????? Is that even possible? He wasn't there 4 years ago.

Yes, Charlie Gibson is there. He already appeared early in ABC's 7 ET hour. He has noticeably aged I must say.

Archived