2016 Election Coverage

TheRolyPoly

I just thought I start this up because I couldn't find a thread for this so... Election Day coverage and here's what I found from initial TV listings by checking TitanTV and everything's in Eastern Time:

CBS:

It starts at either 7:00 or 8:00pm depending on the affiliate and goes on until 11:00pm.

There will be local news at 11:00pm for those who wish for it, otherwise, CBS' coverage keeps on going until 2:00am.

NBC:

Again starts at 7:00 or 8:00pm depending on the affiliate and goes till 11:00pm.

11:00pm local news

They come back from 11:35pm-2:00am.

FOX:

They'll have the least amount of hours since most of it will be on their cable outlet, FNC. FOX will only be on from either 7:00 or 8:00pm depending on the affiliate until 10:00pm and then of course, local news will pick it up afterwards.

ABC:

They will start at 7:00pm everywhere and will go until 11:00pm.

11:00pm local news are available for affiliates who wish to have it.

Coverage rolls back again from 11:35pm-2:00am

Afterwards, a special expanded edition of Nightline takes over from 2:00-4:00am.

PBS:

Their Newshour coverage goes on from 8:00pm-12:00am.

Spanish coverage:

Univision:

7:00-11:00pm

11:00-11:35 or 11:00pm-12:00am local news for those who wish to do it

11:35pm or 12:00 until 2:00 or 3:00am, depending on the affiliate.

Telemundo:

7:00pm-3:00am. Nothing more to say.

That's over-the-air.

CNN's schedule on Tuesday November 8th, according to Screener (formerly Zap2it):

3:00-5:00 AM: Early Start with John Berman and Christine Romans

5:00-9:00 AM: New Day

9:00 AM-4:00 PM: Election Day in America

4:00-5:00 PM: The Lead with Jake Tapper

5:00 PM-3:00 AM: Election Day in America

CNBC:

After Mad Money at 6:00, coverage rolls from 7:00pm-2:00am.

FOX Business:

A special two-hour afternoon edition of Varney and Company from 4:00-6:00pm.

A special two-hour Lou Dobbs TONIGHT from 6:00-8:00pm.

A special five-hour rolling coverage of Elections with Cavuto: Coast to Coast from 8:00pm-1:00am.

FOX News, MSNBC, One America and Bloomberg schedules look normal, according to Screener.

C-SPAN will have coverage from 7:00pm-2:00am.

Canada:

CBC News Network will have a special expanded edition of "Power and Politics" from 5:00-8:00pm, then America Votes from 8:00pm-12:00am (yes, Peter Mansbridge - The Walter Cronkite of Canada - will anchor) with "The National" at midnight and "After the Vote" coverage from 1:00-6:00am.

CBC Television will simulcast CBC NN from 9:00pm-2:00am. It seems like CBC will be the only broadcaster in Canada with extensive coverage of the US elections.

ICI Radio-Canada Television will have somewhat coverage from 11:30pm-1:30am in French.

CTV News Channel will be normal as well as CTV Television, BNN, CP24 in Toronto and other CTV News-related properties.

No coverage from Global Television or on Global News: BC1 in Vancouver.

CPAC will have a one-hour special at 8:00pm, the timeslot normally used for its flagship show Primetime Politics.

No coverage either from TVA, the leading francophone television network in Quebec.

So that will kinda give you an idea of coverage in the United States and in Canada, come Tuesday November 8th. Just thought I put this out there for anyone interested.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canada:

CTV News Channel will be normal as well as CTV Television, BNN, CP24 in Toronto and other CTV News-related properties.

No coverage from Global Television or on Global News: BC1 in Vancouver.

I would assume CTV and Global will have election updates on their main networks, with full coverage on CTV News Channel and perhaps a late edition of CTV National News. Each network will probably have reporters in New York (at Clinton's and Trump's headquarters there) and Washington.

Across the pond...here are the BBC's and Sky's plans (nothing from ITV yet).

Here my schedule says NBC and CBS go straight through skipping the 11PM newscasts. I imagine they'll do breaks similar to the AM shows like in years past. The 11PM hour is around the time they generally call the elections.

As for the independents: WJXT's coverage runs from 7:00-10:00 pm, but may go longer depending on the outcome. WGN will have an three-hour election special at 6:00 pm Central (one hour before the polls close in Illinois), followed by their news.

Out West, KRON won't hit until 8:00 pm Pacific; by then, the polls will have closed in California and a winner may be declared. KCAL, by the way, will have regular programming.

As for the independents: WJXT's coverage runs from 7:00-10:00 pm, but may go longer depending on the outcome. WGN will have an three-hour election special at 6:00 pm Central (one hour before the polls close in Illinois), followed by their news.

Out West, KRON won't hit until 8:00 pm Pacific; by then, the polls will have closed in California and a winner may be declared. KCAL, by the way, will have regular programming.

So will KUSI. I checked them and yes, its regular programming for them. But anything can change.

So will KUSI. I checked them and yes, its regular programming for them. But anything can change.

KUSI normally goes from 8pm-Midnight on election night. This year having a 5pm newscast, they may go from 5pm-Midnight, or maybe 5-7pm and again from 8-midnight.

Ah okay. TV listings didn't show that and I went by that.

I don't normally watch KUSI, but i'll keep an eye out for any promos touting their election night coverage.

KBEX Will run it's "Benson Binge" beginning at 6pm followed by the 11pm WhattaNews Hour featuring Gaff Walker and Betsy Nubluwa.

1a -6a The West Wing Marathon (with Dutch Subtitles) Episode: Buyers Remorse

KBEX-3

In Color & Analog

I am sure MSNBC and FOX will have their schedule updated soon with election coverage. I am surprised NBC/MSNBC hasn't sent out a press release yet about coverage plans. I show WBAL will have 11pm 30 minute newscast. My old local channels KNDO & KING always had a full newscast for local races. If something major happened they would run a Special Report.

KBEX Will run it's "Benson Binge" beginning at 6pm followed by the 11pm WhattaNews Hour featuring Gaff Walker and Betsy Nubluwa.

KBEX-3

In Color & Analog

What? West Wing Marathon (with Dutch Subtitles)????? can you at least run the 700 club in Dutch Subtitles about from let's say

1am-6am, at 6:00 am run a 30 minute newscast and again from 7-8am in Spanish.

will big FOX continue its coverage past 10pm eastern for affiliates that want it?

Fox for the last few election cycles has offered coverage for affiliates beginning at 7 ET and running through at least Midnight ET, usually anchored by Shepard Smith (separate from FNC's coverage). I can't imagine they aren't planning the same. Of course what is carried by each affiliate will likely vary, except during primetime hours.

Here my schedule says NBC and CBS go straight through skipping the 11PM newscasts. I imagine they'll do breaks similar to the AM shows like in years past. The 11PM hour is around the time they generally call the elections.

That's Rovi's terrible listings being terrible as usual (TiVo switching to them this year with the buyout has been a nightmare, and they still show Univision, FNC and MSNBC with regular programming on that night). You can easily assume the usual 50/50 split of local/national coverage in that hour (no late night to worry about outside The Daily Show and Colbert with S&P getting the night off on Showtime). I know though at least some stations are doing local coverage online post poll-closing with the national on-air, like WBAY in Green Bay. And it's easily assumed that Fox isn't just going to shut things down at 10pm ET; don't forget that this is basically rolling coverage on Fox to cover the Mountain and Pacific time zones, so it'll go to 1am at least.

For those who get BBC World News on their system, they're also doing election coverage from 4pm on.

It appears CBS will be using the This Morning studio for the big night:

[MEDIA=twitter]791683200720498688[/MEDIA]

But I'm sure the networks will soon put out press releases about their election night plans in great detail.

It appears CBS will be using the This Morning studio for the big night:

[MEDIA=twitter]791683200720498688[/MEDIA]

But I'm sure the networks will soon put out press releases about their election night plans in great detail.

Thanks for posting that picture. I was wondering how the wings were removed during CBS This Morning. I did t realize they slid out from the desk. Also based on the image it looks like the desk rotates.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of mix CBSN will going to have, whether it's a simulcast or becoming a place for the more wonky of data and results to be disseminated, along with Overnight; you have to assume that'll just be a CBSN simulcast rather than mostly canned stuff since ABC is taking WNN off the air for the night for an all-night "Nightline" extension.

KBEX-3

In Color & Analog

My #sources tell me a new set is in the works...they sent me this EXCLUSIVE!!!! photo of rehearsals.

wnep_42.jpg

would the broadcast networks switch to alternate programming if the election is called very early (as in, before 10pm)?

Doubtful. There are still many other important races to cover, seeing as many states have senators, representatives, and/or governors up for re-election. I could maybe see some of the larger affiliates taking coverage locally if the POTUS election were called early, but that's about it.

In Charlotte it appears WSOC is going to air their syndicated shows in the 7pm hour and go to ABC at 8pm. Most other ABC affiliates show a 7pm start. Likewise WCNC the NBC affiliate has scheduled an hour of news at 11pm vs the usual half hour. WBTV currently has their schedule listing all CBS Coverage with no local news at 11pm but time will tell.

All of the Greenville/Spartanburg affiliates will start at 7pm with breaks at 11pm for late local news.

[QUOTE="David Salter JR, post: 167792, member: 3352"]would the broadcast networks switch to alternate programming if the election is called very early (as in, before 10pm)?[/QUOTE] I don't think that'll happen as @TriangleTriadMediaNews previously mentioned, there's also races for governors, senators, representatives and others that are up on this election, including sheriffs because I know there's a sheriff race in Arizona and even amendments up for grabs because there are like 4 amendment yes or no races up in Florida. Not every state is dealing with their own elections, but I know there's more than just a presidential race up for grabs.

Archived