AT&T buying Time Warner?

Georgie56

As much as I hope this merger doesn't happen it's all but a done deal AT&T the evil empire will divest whatever DOJ wants to get this merger done just my opinion. But AT&T is way too big as I have said many times like the 80's when the government forced AT&T to get rid of baby bells were back to the 80's AT&T way too big.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As much as I hope this merger doesn't happen it's all but a done deal AT&T the evil empire will divest whatever DOJ wants to get this merger done just my opinion. But AT&T is way too big as I have said many times like the 80's when the government forced AT&T to get rid of baby bells were back to the 80's AT&T way too big.

The difference between then and now is that AT&T is no longer a monopoly with the telephone system.

Sure AT&T is big...but they don't currently have a monopoly on telco, video, or programming because there are tons of other options now.

In the 80's AT&T and the Bell System owned everything telco...and had a decent hold on the remote video / microwave and coax longlines. More on the long lines and microwaves at http://long-lines.net/index.html

From Reuters, an AT&T official says that he's not sure if this deal would be completed by the end of the year.

“All approvals have been received but for the DOJ,” AT&T’s Chief Financial Officer John Stephens told a conference in New York.

“We are in active discussions with the DOJ. I cannot comment on those discussions,” he said. “But with those discussions I can now say that the timing of the closing of the deal is now uncertain.”

As you know, the parties are in ongoing discussions with the DOJ on how to proceed with this deal. The article says the DOJ is pushing the union for "structural remedies".

Of course they're hoping for a settlement so it would place conditions. But the DOJ could still send this deal to the judge to get it blocked.

Now this is fucked up. I guess their "structural remedies" is divest CNN.

The Financial Times says that DOJ is demanding AT&T to divest CNN to get the greenlight.

If this deal goes to court, I would fight it. No one should divest a cable news channel to please someone who despise it.

Yeeeeeeah this is beginning to sound like the DOJ is getting orders...from above, shall we say?

The Financial Times says that DOJ is demanding AT&T to divest CNN to get the greenlight.

If this deal goes to court, I would fight it. No one should divest a cable news channel to please someone who despise it.

AT&T wants this deal done yesterday. CNN means nothing to them in getting the deal done.

Clarification: The DOJ wants them to divest either ALL of Turner - including CNN - or DirecTV. And both assets are HUGE deals for their respective companies.

I agree - Our Leader wants this deal dead in the water because he hates CNN. Nothing more, nothing less.

Clarification: The DOJ wants them to divest either ALL of Turner - including CNN - or DirecTV. And both assets are HUGE deals for their respective companies.

Some reports are indicating it's a choice--CNN, Turner, or DirecTV. While not as chilling if that's the case, the fact it's even being suggested is incredible. It would be like demanding NBC unload MS for Comcast to buy it. Or 21CF having to spin off FNC if Disney wanted the whole company.

AT&T wants this deal done yesterday. CNN means nothing to them in getting the deal done.

If that's true, you're going to see a CBS-owned CNN pretty quick.

Some reports are indicating it's a choice--CNN, Turner, or DirecTV. While not as chilling if that's the case, the fact it's even being suggested is incredible. It would be like demanding NBC unload MS for Comcast to buy it. Or 21CF having to spin off FNC if Disney wanted the whole company.

Which was my thought. And if this is coming from "above" it would change absolutely nothing. CNN would maintain its current course. One can argue a case against media consolidation (which would mean putting Sinclair/Tribune under the same scrutiny, ha) but to just divest CNN when there is no apparent anti-trust or anti-competitive aspect sounds more like revenge.

What does not help was Trump crying last week how much he wants to be in control of DOJ vs. their independence, take part in DOJ activities bcause that is the "fun stuff." That statement, in hindsight, is even more damning today since it may have been a tipoff he wasn't just trying to stop the Russion interference investigation. The court battles over this will be interesting to watch.

Which was my thought. And if this is coming from "above" it would change absolutely nothing. CNN would maintain its current course. One can argue a case against media consolidation (which would mean putting Sinclair/Tribune under the same scrutiny, ha) but to just divest CNN when there is no apparent anti-trust or anti-competitive aspect sounds more like revenge.

What does not help was Trump crying last week how much he wants to be in control of DOJ vs. their independence, take part in DOJ activities bcause that is the "fun stuff." That statement, in hindsight, is even more damning today since it may have been a tipoff he wasn't just trying to stop the Russion interference investigation. The court battles over this will be interesting to watch.

Plenty on both sides of the aisle have been complaining about this deal.

"Consumer groups, some TV networks and some conservative groups have criticized the deal, saying it would hurt consumers by allowing AT&T to discriminate against TV networks it doesn't own or raise prices on other cable and satellite TV companies for its programming. Several Democratic lawmakers have also pushed back against the combination."

Personally, this entire ordeal is quite confusing. Trump's administration had been seemingly encouraging major mergers like this, yet at the same time, they'll deny them if they involve anything Trump doesn't like.

They're both in character for realizing the impact of the consolidation, and out of character for only doing so to feed Trump's ego.

I'm thinking they want Sinclair to own CNN - could they disqualify other bidders?

And of there's also major repercussions for Cartoon Network, the Boomerang app and especially TCM- their backlogs of titles from Hanna-Barbera, WB and MGM would be taken away, as WB's long since absorbed the assets of H-B and Turner Entertainment. Not to mention the special relationship between WB Animation and CN would be screwed- though it's kind of already been screwed by Vishnu Atreya (the guy in charge of scheduling- he's the one to blame for CN turning into the "All-Teen Titans Go" Network- this type of strategy worked when he was in charge of CN Asia, but he still hasn't been clued in yet that it don't work here apparently).

What "special relationship"? Don't WBA and CN hate each other?

I'd be amenable to Turner being separated from the rest if WB somehow put together their own substitutes for TCM and Boomerang (though CN being separated from H-B is depressing for

reasons)

What "special relationship"? Don't WBA and CN hate each other?

I'd be amenable to Turner being separated from the rest if WB somehow put together their own substitutes for TCM and Boomerang (though CN being separated from H-B is depressing for

reasons)

They don't hate each other as far as I know- it's TTG that's screwing things up.

Which means AT&T would have to shed Turner Broadcasting because you can't seperate CNN from the Turner networks

While Turner is a separate legal entity within TimeWarner, it's become so deeply intertwined with TimeWarner as a whole that a forced spin-off or divesture is borderline impossible. (Let alone finding a buyer for Turner who can afford it.)

For all intents and purposes, the DOJ issued a non-denial denial of the merger. I cannot see how it survives now.

I'm thinking they want Sinclair to own CNN

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Sinclair becomes interested in buying CNN (and possibly Turner as a whole) should it become available. They'd get to have their right-wing cable news channel without having to build it. Three of them, even, if you count HLN and CNN International.

Archived