AT&T buying Time Warner?

Georgie56

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just in from the AP and NYT: DOJ will appeal the ATT / Time Warner decision.

Well, if the DOJ would have blocked AT&T's acquisition of Time Warner, then the latter would have changed its name itself to WarnerMedia. If that appeal is a success and AT&T spins off WarnerMedia, then I am fine with that. If not, then I am fine with that as well.

Makm Delham has done a great job heading the antitrust division at the DOJ

But he's done a poor job when it comes to making decisions on media mergers, why does he insist on fighting AT&T/Time Warner?

Just in from the AP and NYT: DOJ will appeal the ATT / Time Warner decision.

A month after they said they wouldn't appeal it and the deal closed? I don't think it works that way.

A month after they said they wouldn't appeal it and the deal closed? I don't think it works that way.

What is it exactly the Government is after? Because AT&T announced it would raise prices or is it because of CNN? If' it's CNN the reason then even the Obama-appointed judges would side with AT&T

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Yeah. I spoke too soon. Delrahim is NOT going to appeal further.

Finally, Delrahim got the wake-up call and realized that fighting to stop AT&T-Time Warner acquisition was doing everybody (including both companies involved in the merger) no good.

And to no surprise, WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey has announced its new structure & leadership team in a memo this morning:

• Former NBC Entertainment president Bob Greenblatt has been appointed by Stankey, as the new chairman of the entertainment division, He will oversee HBO, TNT, TBS, TruTV & the soon-to-be launched streaming VOD service.
  • Stankey has also appointed CNN Worldwide CEO Jeff Zucker as the new chairman of the news & sports division. Along with overseeing CNN and its networks, he will also oversee Turner Sports, Bleacher Report and the AT&T RSNs.
  • The remaining Turner networks (that includes Cartoon Network & Turner Classic Movies) will be folded into the studio division of Warner Bros. The studio's head, Kevin Tsujihara will also oversee Otter Media, and "a new Global Kids & Young Adults business" within the division.

This comes as HBO CEO Richard Plepler & Turner Broadcasting president David Levy announced their departures last week.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:07 AM, CircleSeven said:

• The remaining Turner networks (that includes Cartoon Network & Turner Classic Movies) will be folded into the studio division of Warner Bros.

Does this mean that Teen Titans Go! is now a CN original? Also does this mean that the Miller era of CN is over?!?

On 3/5/2019 at 9:56 PM, HulkieD said:

She’s being eyed for a larger role at the new combined WB unit so I doubt it...

Well, let's hope she'll be kicked upstairs where she can't do a lot of damage. The next step is to remove Vishnu Atreya and put in a scheduler with competence.

7 minutes ago, Spectrum27 said:

Well, let's hope she'll be kicked upstairs where she can't do a lot of damage. The next step is to remove Vishnu Atreya and put in a scheduler with competence.

I honestly believe Miller has little (if any) to no fault in Cartoon Network's direction as a channel right now. She's just doing her job and all that's there is shows kids watch (as the ratings show). And the people complaining about it all mostly are really bitter, petty people from the previous generations who should stop watching and avoid the network altogether (for their own sake).

I definitely agree however that Atreya should be removed from his post because IMO he is 100% responsible for CN's mistakes -- his scheduling decisions and the results are attrocoius.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:07 AM, CircleSeven said:
  • Stankey has also appointed CNN Worldwide CEO Jeff Zucker as the new chairman of the news & sports division. Along with overseeing CNN and its networks, he will also oversee Turner Sports, Bleacher Report and the AT&T RSNs.

How does this man keep getting promotions?

He shouldn't be allowed to manage a Cinnabon, let alone more television networks.

46 minutes ago, Weeters said:

How does this man keep getting promotions?

He shouldn't be allowed to manage a Cinnabon, let alone more television networks.

It's called "failing up", pretty much standard operating procedure in the media these days.

On 3/7/2019 at 3:17 PM, Eyewitness News-man said:

I honestly believe Miller has little (if any) to no fault in Cartoon Network's direction as a channel right now. She's just doing her job and all that's there is shows kids watch (as the ratings show). And the people complaining about it all mostly are really bitter, petty people from the previous generations who should stop watching and avoid the network altogether (for their own sake).

I definitely agree however that Atreya should be removed from his post because IMO he is 100% responsible for CN's mistakes -- his scheduling decisions and the results are attrocoius.

This discussion about entertainment programming should be moved to the Breakroom.

4 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

This discussion about entertainment programming should be moved to the Breakroom.

Okay, and... Why are you telling me this? 

You do know I'm not the only one discussing (or even the one moderating) the entertainment aspect here, right?

39 minutes ago, Eyewitness News-man said:

Okay, and... Why are you telling me this? 

You do know I'm not the only one discussing (or even the one moderating) the entertainment aspect here, right?

I was just replying to the last post on the subject. Sorry if you felt singled out.

On 3/7/2019 at 5:17 PM, Eyewitness News-man said:

Atreya is one of the worst hires CN has made. At least Stuart Snyder learned from the live-action fiasco that plagued the network.

For the record, Adult Swim exists for a reason.

Archived