At&t sports networks Root Sports

D Dwayne

I don't think it has anything to do with CSN being in the NW, but rather that the Seattle Mariners own a 60% stake of RSNW.

Right, much how the Yankees and Mets each own stakes in YES and SNY- derailing any plans by Fox and Comcast to rebrand those RSNs under their names (Spectrum/TWC also owns a piece of SNY, further complicating it). (If Fox could get away with it, they would- it'd mean Fox Sports New York would return after the original one became MSG Plus around 2006-07; as a bit of trivia, FSN programming was carried on WPXN channel 31 pre-PAX/ION- back then it was WBIS-TV/S+, owned by Dow Jones and ITT and carried a blend of business news and sports; FSN lacked an affiliate, so they carried Fox Sports News and other FSN programs until the Paxson acquisition happened (WBIS' hybrid format failed hard).)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, much how the Yankees and Mets each own stakes in YES and SNY- derailing any plans by Fox and Comcast to rebrand those RSNs under their names (Spectrum/TWC also owns a piece of SNY, further complicating it). (If Fox could get away with it, they would- it'd mean Fox Sports New York would return after the original one became MSG Plus around 2006-07; as a bit of trivia, FSN programming was carried on WPXN channel 31 pre-PAX/ION- back then it was WBIS-TV/S+, owned by Dow Jones and ITT and carried a blend of business news and sports; FSN lacked an affiliate, so they carried Fox Sports News and other FSN programs until the Paxson acquisition happened (WBIS' hybrid format failed hard).)

Technically, FOX owns a majority stake in YES--as of last year I believe. I do think that there must have been some kind of agreement/demand by the Yankees that FOX not rename the network as FS New York. If i'm not mistaken, informally it's known as FOX Sports YES

And I really hope they keep the theme music. The baseball version is fantastic. Very underrated.

On a side note: Most MLB that renegotiated their tv contracts in the last few years have made deals to acquire a stake in the RSN's that carry their teams.

Yeah the intros are different but it's the same themes.

I'm not sure if all sports share the same music package with each getting their own cut, or if they each have their own package but share the same signature.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that Turner Sports will be combined with that of AT&T SportsNet and shorten it to "SportsNet" and Turner will get the graphics that the RSNs will receive by next year's NBA Playoffs.

Could AT&T/Turner decide to launch a National Sports Channel to compte with ESPN, NBCSN and FS1? I think any effort to launch a national sports channel won't take place for another 4-5 years if not longer

I'm wondering if At&t will add any original programming now.

Not till AT&T gets their hands on Turner (including Turner Sports) before they get original programming on the RSNs.

If/when they do they may add a 30 minute nightly sports show that won't neccesarily compete with SportsCenter but for fans in Pittsburgh, the Rocky Mountain and Southwest regions it would be an alternative to SportsCenter but I don't know whether it would happen or not, it may not even occur at all.

Just have to wait and see

Not till AT&T gets their hands on Turner (including Turner Sports) before they get original programming on the RSNs.

If/when they do they may add a 30 minute nightly sports show that won't neccesarily compete with SportsCenter but for fans in Pittsburgh, the Rocky Mountain and Southwest regions it would be an alternative to SportsCenter but I don't know whether it would happen or not, it may not even occur at all.

Just have to wait and see

Given that both FOX's and NBC's RSNs are moving away from nightly highlight shows, I doubt they'd want to adopt something that's a dying breed.

Given that both FOX's and NBC's RSNs are moving away from nightly highlight shows, I doubt they'd want to adopt something that's a dying breed.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised because nowadays you don't have to wait till SportsCenter came on to recieve your highlights whcih as soon as that comes out I'll be using the ESPN app for highlights and just watch ESPN for College games and maybe Monday Night Football and that's about it.

If they were to add more original programming, they'll go with [more] team specific shows. These shows tend to be cheaper to produce, and will have heavy emphasis on social media.

The SF Giants/NBC Sports BA just debuted a new show called "Giants Outsiders" , Which is heavy on social media.

The Padres have a show called "Padres POV", basically it's a cheap 30 minute show hosted by the secondary sideline reporter and she does segments/interviews with current players. Not much investment in the show since a majority of the time she carries around a go-pro to shoot, or does her own MMJ work. If the need for a photog pops up, then they'll assign one person.

If they were to add more original programming, they'll go with [more] team specific shows. These shows tend to be cheaper to produce, and will have heavy emphasis on social media.

The SF Giants/NBC Sports BA just debuted a new show called "Giants Outsiders" , Which is heavy on social media.

The Padres have a show called "Padres POV", basically it's a cheap 30 minute show hosted by the secondary sideline reporter and she does segments/interviews with current players. Not much investment in the show since a majority of the time she carries around a go-pro to shoot, or does her own MMJ work. If the need for a photog pops up, then they'll assign one person.

CSN Philly has had shows like that for the four teams they carry for quite awhile now and they run them multiple times a day to fill programing.

• 2 weeks later...

The opens are fantastic. The graphics are clean and very crisp. Root Sports NorthWest kept the same branding as was previously mentioned--they also got the new graphics. The biggest difference is that the R from Root Sports is placed where the AT&T globe is currently entrenched.

They also got a new music package to go along with the new graphics.

Archived