At&t sports networks Root Sports

D Dwayne

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Former Member 207

From clips I've seen from their various MLB telecasts (Astros, Rockies, Mariners, Pirates) that they've started to de-empathize the "Root Sports" name anyway. "Root Sports" isn't the worst name for a sports network, but "AT&T" is obviously a much bigger brand name, and it's all part of them putting all the DirecTV and Uverse content under one umbrella. I've imagine the new branding will take place sometime closer to MLB Spring Training.

From clips I've seen from their various MLB telecasts (Astros, Rockies, Mariners, Pirates) that they've started to de-empathize the "Root Sports" name anyway. "Root Sports" isn't the worst name for a sports network, but "AT&T" is obviously a much bigger brand name, and it's all part of them putting all the DirecTV and Uverse content under one umbrella. I've imagine the new branding will take place sometime closer to MLB Spring Training.

I hope they become similar to CSN with the local shows.

Does anyone have any ideas of how AT&T plans to rebrand Root Sports as At&t Sportsnet? I found this.

http://www.makeitfine.com/att-sportsnet/

Hello, D Dwayne. Well, it has been over a half-year since every Root Sports network--with the exception of Root Sports Northwest, 60% owned by the Seattle Mariners Baseball Club and 40%-owned by AT&T Sports Networks--used the AT&T Sports Networks brand as on-air bugs during programming. Anyhow, thank you very much indeed for posting and sharing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT&T_Sports_Networks

Root Sports' original gfx package was superb. It was a very clean, modern package that looked fantastic. Then they started to mess around with it, starting with last year's scorebox modification, and suddenly you were left with clashing elements and a cluttered mess. Here's hoping that they start fresh next baseball season, with a good package.

Root Sports' original gfx package was superb. It was a very clean, modern package that looked fantastic. Then they started to mess around with it, starting with last year's scorebox modification, and suddenly you were left with clashing elements and a cluttered mess. Here's hoping that they start fresh next baseball season, with a good package.

Yeah hopefully so. I'm hoping that At&t takes the network in a different direction more so like a CSN.

Does anyone have any ideas of how AT&T plans to rebrand Root Sports as At&t Sportsnet? I found this.

http://www.makeitfine.com/att-sportsnet/

That looks to be an old concept. For starters it has the previous version of the AT&T globe. They inverted the blue and white on the globe a year ago. I'm also assuming it's a discarded concept as well. It's very rare a company would post work for a done for a client online unless it is in use or, the client decided not to use it.

I believe they explored the possibility of rebranding prior to closing on the DirecTV acquisition. I'm guessing that is where the concept came from. But, by all accounts they plan to stick with the Root Sports branding. This was reported in several articles when the "DirecTV Sports Networsk" on screen graphic changed to "AT&T Sports Networks" earlier this year.

It looks like are following Comcast's lead and punting on a planned rebrand of their RSNs. There were multiple reports Comcast was going to rebrand their RSNs under the NBC Sports brand but, changed their mind and stuck with Comcast Sportsnet. Yet, they renamed the RSN group "NBC Sports Regional Networks".

What I think you are likely if see (if anything) is co-branding with the AT&T globe. It appears they've already started going down this route with Audience and Root Sports so, I'd just expect more of the same.

I hope they become similar to CSN with the local shows.

Yeah hopefully so. I'm hoping that At&t takes the network in a different direction more so like a CSN.

Root Sports operates with a slightly different business model (read: smaller budget.) So, you aren't going to see a bunch of "magazine" style shows. It's pre/post game shows and the games themselves. And, Daytime gets filled with Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen. That's pretty much it, the rest is syndicated programming or paid programming. I don't expect that to change.

It looks like are following Comcast's lead and punting on a planned rebrand of their RSNs. There were multiple reports Comcast was going to rebrand their RSNs under the NBC Sports brand but, changed their mind and stuck with Comcast Sportsnet. Yet, they renamed the RSN group "NBC Sports Regional Networks".

I don't think they exactly punted. It seems that NBC/Comcast has been quietly dropping, or at least downplaying, the "Comcast SportsNet" name in favor of just "CSN" - the logo being the peacock next to italic arial black "CSN". That logo replaced the full Comcast SportsNet logo on their newsroom set a few weeks ago. Talent's been referring to the network as "CSN" more and more, too.

I don't think they exactly punted. It seems that NBC/Comcast has been quietly dropping, or at least downplaying, the "Comcast SportsNet" name in favor of just "CSN" - the logo being the peacock next to italic arial black "CSN". That logo replaced the full Comcast SportsNet logo on their newsroom set a few weeks ago. Talent's been referring to the network as "CSN" more and more, too.

Good point. The full "ComcastSportsNet" name will probably be phased out by the beginning of baseball season in 2017, if not sooner.

That looks to be an old concept. For starters it has the previous version of the AT&T globe. They inverted the blue and white on the globe a year ago. I'm also assuming it's a discarded concept as well. It's very rare a company would post work for a done for a client online unless it is in use or, the client decided not to use it.

I believe they explored the possibility of rebranding prior to closing on the DirecTV acquisition. I'm guessing that is where the concept came from. But, by all accounts they plan to stick with the Root Sports branding. This was reported in several articles when the "DirecTV Sports Networsk" on screen graphic changed to "AT&T Sports Networks" earlier this year.

What I think you are likely if see (if anything) is co-branding with the AT&T globe. It appears they've already started going down this route with Audience and Root Sports so, I'd just expect more of the same.

Root Sports operates with a slightly different business model (read: smaller budget.) So, you aren't going to see a bunch of "magazine" style shows. It's pre/post game shows and the games themselves. And, Daytime gets filled with Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen. That's pretty much it, the rest is syndicated programming or paid programming. I don't expect that to change.

At&t said they planned to stay with the ROOT brand for now but I think they will eventually drop the ROOT name.

• 5 months later...
I wonder if root plans to role out new graphics for opening day.

Doubtful. In previous years, anything new was rolled out in Spring Training. It would be very hard to roll out a new graphics package and not have any issues on Opening Day. That's why you work the bugs out in ST so you're ready to go on opening day.

Doubtful. In previous years, anything new was rolled out in Spring Training. It would be very hard to roll out a new graphics package and not have any issues on Opening Day. That's why you work the bugs out in ST so you're ready to go on opening day.

Man that channel sucks compared to CSN

Man that channel sucks compared to CSN

For real. One look at who owns the network and it will explain why. It does make me wonder if they put off any new graphics package while they decide whether they'll stick with ROOT Sports or AT&T Sports Network. I know it's been mentioned in this thread before that they plan on sticking with the name, but it just seems a bit dumb to not use a household name like AT&T in their branding.

For real. One look at who owns the network and it will explain why. It does make me wonder if they put off any new graphics package while they decide whether they'll stick with ROOT Sports or AT&T Sports Network. I know it's been mentioned in this thread before that they plan on sticking with the name, but it just seems a bit dumb to not use a household name like AT&T in their branding.

I think they are transitioning to At&t Sportsnet but they need to work on some original programming the channel sucks!

I think they are transitioning to At&t Sportsnet but they need to work on some original programming the channel sucks!

Well, unless AT&T decides to pour money into the operations, then programming wise they'll stay the same.

Thundershock MN details the Root sports operations pretty well:

Back to branding, Comcast decided to keep the Comcast Sportsnet moniker when they took over NBC. Over the years, they started to phase the name out by going to CSN and now in the Bay Area, they'll be fully transitioning to NBC Sports Bay Area/California. Perhaps, AT&T might follow the same concept?

Well, unless AT&T decides to pour money into the operations, then programming wise they'll stay the same.

Thundershock MN details the Root sports operations pretty well:

Back to branding, Comcast decided to keep the Comcast Sportsnet moniker when they took over NBC. Over the years, they started to phase the name out by going to CSN and now in the Bay Area, they'll be fully transitioning to NBC Sports Bay Area/California. Perhaps, AT&T might follow the same concept?

Or they could sell to NBC Sports lol

• 2 months later...
Confirmed: Root Sports to become AT&T SportsNet

New graphics, new logo coming 7/14.

According to their press release. The Northwest will retain the "Root Sports" name. Most likely to avoid confusion with Comcast Sportsnet which is also available up there.

http://pittsburgh.rootsports.com/2017/06/12/att-sports-networks-will-rebrand-root-sports-in-summer-2017/

In addition, a new graphic package will accompany this rebrand. Finally!

According to their press release. The Northwest will retain the "Root Sports" name. Most likely to avoid confusion with Comcast Sportsnet which is also available up there.

http://pittsburgh.rootsports.com/2017/06/12/att-sports-networks-will-rebrand-root-sports-in-summer-2017/

In addition, a new graphic package will accompany this rebrand. Finally!

I don't think it has anything to do with CSN being in the NW, but rather that the Seattle Mariners own a 60% stake of RSNW.

Archived