L.A. Mayor's Lover (KVEA Anchor) Place on Leave

CalItalian

The Los Angeles Times changed the title of the online of this story to "Girlfriend" from "Lover" which was in the print edition. Typical of this extreme PC paper.

She should be fired immediatly along with her direct supervisors at NBC Universal Telemundo KVEA 52 if they knew which I suspect. How can you report this on the air as a "scandal' - quoting exactly as she reported it on the air - and be considered credible? It's also been reported that she was previously going out with Fabio Nunez - the Democrat speaker of the California Assembly and one of the mayor's best friends - when she was reporting on him as well. Not that the Spanish language media knows meaning of the word "ethics" means but this is a new low.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-telemundo6jul06,0,4143827.story?coll=la-home-center

This is becoming a great tit-for-tat battle between the L.A. Mayor and City Attorney, both Hispanic and seaking higher office and hate each other, who have been leaking out negative info. on each other to the media over the last few weeks. More evidence that Los Angeles has become a third-world banana republic.

Ratings were double that of normal for her 6 PM newscast the day this story broke on Tuesday, July 3.

Woo-sah! Miss Salinas sure wasn't thinking, wasn't she? You can't screw someone you're covering. Damn putting her on paid leave...she should be suspended without pay or fired. Her journalistic ethics have straight up went out the door.

If she was smart enough, she should have asked for another beat. Then again, if she was to have been asked by the news director why she wanted the change, would she be upfront and said it's because she's involved with the mayor? :-\

This sort of reminds me of when current CBS News reporter Michelle Miller got involved with former New Orleans mayor Marc Morial while she was covering City Hall for WWL-TV. Unlike Miss Salinas, the then-Ms. Miller had the sense to go let her bosses know about the relationship and got re-assigned (she later married Morial).

What kind of folks are the L.A. stations hiring?

Cheap, un-educated talent, that have no idea about ethics. I really don't think she will be fired because it is bringing in all this publicity to Telemundo 52. Albeit negative publicity, I think the managers will ride this one as far as they can.

Guest Junk Junk

This sort of reminds me of when current CBS News reporter Michelle Miller got involved with former New Orleans mayor Marc Morial while she was covering City Hall for WWL-TV. Unlike Miss Salinas, the then-Ms. Miller had the sense to go let her bosses know about the relationship and got re-assigned (she later married Morial).

It's also similar to the situation with former WSB anchor-babe Marion Brooks (now at WMAQ). She had an undisclosed fling with then-mayor Bill Campbell and continued to file a number of reports working the city hall beat. I don't know what Ms. Brooks has been up to lately, but Billy-boy is serving time in the federal penitentiary now...

There need to be a blood bath at NBC 4/ Telemundo 52/ Canal 22 news departments starting with Salinas, her news director, the VP of news of Channel4 who oversees all of the news operations at 3000 W Alameda (not only of this scandal with Mirthala Salinas but low ratings and morale at the stations). New management usually does house cleaning Linda Sullivan need to use a big broom and clean house starting all who know and didn't do a thing about the scandal, then move on NBC 4 anchor team shuffle or

try to do something to bring back viewers (an aside NBC need better programing I mean 4 hours of Today it will work especially that if the new host of the Price of Right doesn't make the grade but weaken the Today show franchise[and other affiliates want their own programming or syndicated shows]. But prime time sucks I digress.)

Anyway, hurry Ms. Sullivan November is 3 1/2 months away. And GE doesn't need its stock value in the tank.

There need to be a blood bath at NBC 4/ Telemundo 52/ Canal 22 news departments starting with Salinas, her news director, the VP of news of Channel4 who oversees all of the news operations at 3000 W Alameda (not only of this scandal with Mirthala Salinas but low ratings and morale at the stations). New management usually does house cleaning Linda Sullivan need to use a big broom and clean house starting all who know and didn't do a thing about the scandal, then move on NBC 4 anchor team shuffle or

try to do something to bring back viewers (an aside NBC need better programing I mean 4 hours of Today it will work especially that if the new host of the Price of Right doesn't make the grade but weaken the Today show franchise[and other affiliates want their own programming or syndicated shows]. But prime time sucks I digress.)

Anyway, hurry Ms. Sullivan November is 3 1/2 months away. And GE doesn't need its stock value in the tank.

I wouldn't call it a blood bath. I would call it restructuring. And The Channel 4 News 11PM's newscast is only .2 points behind CBS 2 News at 11. 4.3/4.5 is the number. KNBC has a very stable news organization. The problem is on primetime, not news. I doubt she is going to demote The Great Paul Moyer or Colleen Williams from their chairs. The shake-up has to be in T52 and Ch.22. Linda has the experience and she'll do a great job reshaping KNBC. KCBS should look out. And especially KABC. They can't count their chickens yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the woman here comes off looking like a ho. But remember people, it takes 2 to tango. The mayor did take a major step forward by admitting he was wrong. However, Salinas should know better, and should be thanking her lucky stars that her ass wasn't thrown out the door at her station. Will see how this one plays out. If she comes back and plays by the rules - then fine.

But if she starts dating another prominent figure that she covers on a REGULAR basis, then she'll be label a, "Story Ho!"

Sorry honey, there's plenty of fish in the see, don't see why you feel it's necessary to **it where you eat?

oh, that's easy to answer...aspiring actors and actresses. In essence, LA TV News is another great way to break into Hollywood, which is why we now see more attractive younger movie-star types who come from other parts of the country and world than hard-working journos. The same can also be said of many other stations in the country as well, though there may be a few who do give a damn about doing the right thing.

Archived