WEWS Rebrands with new logo

news89

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would have been a hell of a lot cheaper if they would have repurposed WPTV's logo even from the get-go. That is the original Circle 5, albeit thicker over time.

Now with this placeholder of a logo, they could always swap it out in a few months.....

Mr Bastard, you're talking about Scripps. They're keeping the logo for 6 years.

No Scripps won't sell. However, it be groovy if Scripps and Cox merge that would be the better move. Cox owns the broadcast side & Scripps owns the cable side.

Scripps spun off its cable side in 2008, and after shedding its newspapers a couple of years ago, they're purely a broadcast company at this point.

Scripps spun off its cable side in 2008, and after shedding its newspapers a couple of years ago, they're purely a broadcast company at this point.

I think it's more like the cable side spun off the broadcasting side really... the station group is a weak money maker compared to SNI...

I know everyone is on the edge of their seats to watch the WEWS logo and branding live in action.

Catch5 Everyone.

Some of the promos and weather graphics are still showing the old logo. And that time/temp bug shown during The Now seems to always be in the way of something, including Rob's face at the end of the show. Not very clean/smooth.

Some of the promos and weather graphics are still showing the old logo. And that time/temp bug shown during The Now seems to always be in the way of something, including Rob's face at the end of the show. Not very clean/smooth.

It's a trainwreck. I agree not clean or smooth with the change. This morning during the 10am news one weather graphics had old logo.

I know everyone is on the edge of their seats to watch the WEWS logo and branding live in action.

Catch5 Everyone.

The opens actually aren't that bad... it's the logo that looks like a freaking lottery ball.

Or... dare I say it...

696493-512x512.png

"NewsM&M Cleveland, on your side!"

Look. This took me 30 minutes to take the WPTV logo, remove the NBC peacock, and insert the ABC logo almost exactly where it is on WXYZ's logo. In freaking Photoshop.

IMG_1584b1.thumb.png.3182735e56a5e54c69ea7ec2b81c13cd.png

IMG_1584c.thumb.png.746368b0b65f00f7aa2f8cedd002a0b6.png

Whoever is in Scripps' CMD department ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Look. This took me 30 minutes to take the WPTV logo, remove the NBC peacock, and insert the ABC logo almost exactly where it is on WXYZ's logo. In freaking Photoshop.

[ATTACH=full]3378[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]3379[/ATTACH]

And that is STILL 100x better than WEWS' current logo, despite you using WPTV's logo. Just shows you that WPTV's "Circle 5" is more legendary.

And that is STILL 100x better than WEWS' current logo, despite you using WPTV's logo. Just shows you that WPTV's "Circle 5" is more legendary.

Both WEWS and WPTV adopted the exact same logo at similar times. WEWS in 1968, I believe WPTV in the early 70s... it's just that WPTV never dropped it in the first place.

That is a million times better than ANYTHING that has come out of WEWS and Scripps in the last 15 years! It's what they SHOULD have used back in 2007!!!!!!!

It's a trainwreck. I agree not clean or smooth with the change. This morning during the 10am news one weather graphics had old logo.

The "purge" is a lost art of television marketing. I don't think there are many places that are capable of having a plan of purging out ALL of their old elements and replacing them with the new ones. It's exacerbated by "sales pieces", the countless bugs, tickers, and snipes, and the fact that these decisions are made well ahead of the local marketing folks who have very little time, experience and know-how of pulling off such a herculean task. And there are the "rogue" teams who keep doing what they've been doing DESPITE the garbage they're given to work with!

And what you did was simple and easy. I don't understand why management made this shit so hard?

I wish KSTP would drop their current branding and go this route. Logo and all.

The "purge" is a lost art of television marketing. I don't think there are many places that are capable of having a plan of purging out ALL of their old elements and replacing them with the new ones. It's exacerbated by "sales pieces", the countless bugs, tickers, and snipes, and the fact that these decisions are made well ahead of the local marketing folks who have very little time, experience and know-how of pulling off such a herculean task. And there are the "rogue" teams who keep doing what they've been doing DESPITE the garbage they're given to work with!

To be fair, it's not so much a "lost art" as a goal.

Cases in point, fellow Scripps station WKBW. I am rather sure that there are still news vehicles @7 Broadcast Plaza and plying the roads of Western New York w/ decals of the Granite circle 7 on them. And even further back, during CapCities ownership, I offer this Station ID and news open:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=_yaP_e_-GHI;m=1;s=19

And even further back, There was this from KPIX:

NA-AZ979A_RAMEY_G_20090825161340.jpg

Note both the Group W 5 and the old KPIX 5 and the WBC logo next to the CBS eye on the camera.

I'd imagine the only GroupW station that pegged the purge perfectly was when KYW Radio and TV moved back to Philly.

Sorry for the semi threadjack.

And even further back, There was this from KPIX:

NA-AZ979A_RAMEY_G_20090825161340.jpg

Note both the Group W 5 and the old KPIX 5 and the WBC logo next to the CBS eye on the camera.

I'd imagine the only GroupW station that pegged the purge perfectly was when KYW Radio and TV moved back to Philly.

Sorry for the semi threadjack.

Not entirely. The marquee at the channel 3 studios - which used the old WBC wordmark - lasted until the 1965 reverse swap.

kywsign.jpg

(image obtained by good friend Tim Lones and his Cleveland Classic Media blog)

That marquee was reassembled by NBC, with the letters rearranged and a similar looking "C" added.

DonandtheWanderersCleveland1968_1.jpg

And it lasted until the station moved to their current studios on Lakeside in 2001.

I wish KSTP would drop their current branding and go this route. Logo and all.

I don't think Stanley S. Hubbard or the Hubbard Children will dump the groovy 5 away anytime soon.

They've had so many variations of it.

WEWS: The original circle 5 started in 1968-1998 so 30 years on the first go around; second time for the modify circle 5 2007-2016 another 9 years,

KSTP: The groovy 5 been around since 1969-present day. Even with the different variations of the groovy 5 at least KSTP has stayed consistent with their station brand & and logo and Eyewitness News moniker. WEWS, not so.

200?cb=20110815232119&format=webp 185?cb=20121023051443&format=webp200?cb=20110815232328&format=webp185?cb=20151109130418&format=webp

200?cb=20140320230737&format=webp200?cb=20110815232350&format=webplatest?cb=20110528075137&format=webp165?cb=20120913023307&format=webp220?cb=20151204191844&format=webp

1292223254212-dumpfm-mario-Obamaclap.gif

giphy.gif

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

msy.gif

giphy.gif

Well done. Much, much better.

Archived