WEWS Rebrands with new logo

news89

A side note on KSTP....

Had it not been for the MTM show, would they have used the exact same font for their "Eyewitness News"?

And years later, they actually revived "Lou Grant" as a fictional news director!

Even WMC had a similar "Groovy 5" during their Scripps days. Scripps changed the logo in the 90s and Bert Ellis ripped off WSB when he bought them.

At least no one's done away with the steamboat whistle...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look. This took me 30 minutes to take the WPTV logo, remove the NBC peacock, and insert the ABC logo almost exactly where it is on WXYZ's logo. In freaking Photoshop.

[ATTACH=full]3378[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]3379[/ATTACH]

Whoever is in Scripps' CMD department ought to be ashamed of themselves.

That logo is 1 zillion times better than their 2003 "Boxed 5" logo, their 1998-2003 logo, and their current yucky logo all together, may I say, a great absolute job, well done indeed.

Somewhere WEWS management had to decide between keeping the current logo; paying for a decent upgrade or deciding "I'll just fire up Microsoft Paint and try something out myself".

Clearly they chose option 3. Mucho mistake.

I don't think Stanley S. Hubbard or the Hubbard Children will dump the groovy 5 away anytime soon.

They've had so many variations of it.

WEWS: The original circle 5 started in 1968-1998 so 30 years on the first go around; second time for the modify circle 5 2007-2016 another 9 years,

KSTP: The groovy 5 been around since 1969-present day. Even with the different variations of the groovy 5 at least KSTP has stayed consistent with their station brand & and logo and Eyewitness News moniker. WEWS, not so.

200?cb=20110815232119&format=webp 185?cb=20121023051443&format=webp200?cb=20110815232328&format=webp185?cb=20151109130418&format=webp

200?cb=20140320230737&format=webp200?cb=20110815232350&format=webplatest?cb=20110528075137&format=webp165?cb=20120913023307&format=webp220?cb=20151204191844&format=webp

Looking at KSTP's logo, it's like looking at an eyeball with an eyebrow on top (even though it wasn't intended to be viewed as such). That's how unique it is.

Even WMC had a similar "Groovy 5" during their Scripps days. Scripps changed the logo in the 90s and Bert Ellis ripped off WSB when he bought them.

At least no one's done away with the steamboat whistle...

The steamboat whistle went away at WMC with the previous Raycom graphics and rebranding a couple years ago, and yet the boat itself is still part of the full logo.

so what 5 is worse. WEWS' or WPTZ's ?

WPTZ_5_logo.png

That logo is basic, harmless and boring as hell.

WEWS has a heritage, long-standing logo that easily could have been used, but decided to reinvent the wheel in an attempt to be cute. And the result was a basic, harmless and boring as hell logo.

So... WEWS's logo is worse.

That logo is basic, harmless and boring as hell.

WEWS has a heritage, long-standing logo that easily could have been used, but decided to reinvent the wheel in an attempt to be cute. And the result was a basic, harmless and boring as hell logo.

So... WEWS's logo is worse.

Throw in that Hearst quit caring about its small markets years ago when they decided to drag their heels in making them HD and at least WPTZ is somewhat forgivable. Losing ground to Nexstar's debacle of a pair in the market but forgivable.

WEWS had no excuses.

A side note on KSTP....

Had it not been for the MTM show, would they have used the exact same font for their "Eyewitness News"?

And years later, they actually revived "Lou Grant" as a fictional news director!

Did KSTP run MTM reruns at all? Otherwise it strikes me as a bit odd considering that WCCO vis-a-vis CBS aired the show... unless the show left a lasting impression on the market at large. (Not inconceivable, as WTVJ's John Fox-designed, Art Deco-derived set and news opens in 1988 were clearly influenced by Miami Vice.)

Also, prior to ripping off WSB, WMC actually used the MTM font - Peignot - for their L3s.

Archived