WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jack Hanna would definitely not be happy.

I would be kinda pissed because E/I is how we indoctrinate the small humans and preach global warming, saving the whales and FISHES (whales suck anyway) and us sharks.

Without E/I there would be no "save the planet" and all the production houses in Canada will go broke.

Yes, Jack Hanna and his critters will be very sad, but those critters are overworked and non-union performers so that's ok.

And what about all those great "Teen Newscast" that look 10 times better than anything KRON.

Thank God and Neptune that E/I is probably not on the radar in the first 4 years...cuz if you start messing with my E/I....you be messing with my moral compass.

Forget Jack Hanna! Litton would be PISSED!!!!!

And I'll be glad. Its about time that affiliates get their on-air time back on Saturday mornings. This can also help Sunday mornings for those who have to push E/I back due to other commitments.

In other words, I hope they end those E/I restrictions once and for all.

And I'll be glad. Its about time that affiliates get their on-air time back on Saturday mornings. This can also help Sunday mornings for those who have to push E/I back due to other commitments.

Couldn't agree with you more!

I find it interesting that their on air branding (for now) is "Countdown NBC Boston".

I don't know what else they could call themselves. They have to establish the "NBC Boston" brand without any preceding brands to build off of.

Outside of using NECN to build up their news department, WBTS is for all intents and purposes a start-up operation.

I don't know what else they could call themselves. They have to establish the "NBC Boston" brand without any preceding brands to build off of.

Outside of using NECN to build up their news department, WBTS is for all intents and purposes a start-up operation.

You know how long it's gonna take for people receiving it OTA to adjust? I read an article once that WHDH still gets calls from elderly viewers asking where 60 Minutes is, 21 years later.

why haven't the broadcasters challenged the legality of E/I yet, the supreme court in my opinion would rule it unconstituitional

why haven't the broadcasters challenged the legality of E/I yet, the supreme court in my opinion would rule it unconstitutional

Because Litton, DHX and other syndicators have come along, bought out the burden and turned it into a 'make something out of nothing' opportunity. They lease out the time for a price and let Litton worry about the work. I think E/I can still work, but they have to kill the +13 audience loophole that allows more advertising and host-selling and have turned the requirements into a gauntlet of 'talking down' nature doc shows and game shows on the cheap, with preschoolers basically having to become beggars for Sprout and Nick Jr. to get non-PBS kids programming. And no...no bringing back cartoons (which posters on other boards would prefer); we're past the point of no return with broadcast and today's animation producers would loathe network S&P in every way.

Because Litton, DHX and other syndicators have come along, bought out the burden and turned it into a 'make something out of nothing' opportunity. They lease out the time for a price and let Litton worry about the work. I think E/I can still work, but they have to kill the +13 audience loophole that allows more advertising and host-selling and have turned the requirements into a gauntlet of 'talking down' nature doc shows and game shows on the cheap, with preschoolers basically having to become beggars for Sprout and Nick Jr. to get non-PBS kids programming. And no...no bringing back cartoons (which posters on other boards would prefer); we're past the point of no return with broadcast and today's animation producers would loathe network S&P in every way.

The other issue is the mandated three hours a week of programming, no matter what. Some stations have been creative with that: here in Cleveland, WKYC put E/I shows daily at 12:30 and on Saturday at 11 for a few years** while WJW places the Fox-distributed XPloration Station from 11:30-2:30 or as wraparounds on late Saturday/Sunday afternoons.

** Currently, and in the past, WKYC has had to juggle the E/I shows around while running text crawls indicating when the shows will air next week. Often WKYC will have to preempt the last 30 minutes of "Saturday Today" and push the last hour of "Channel 3 News Today" to 8:30am-9:30am, while in theory it's meant to run from 9am-10am. E/I also forced them to discontinue their Saturday noon newscast a few years back, which debuted shortly after Multimedia took majority control of the station.

Wait, I thought Saturday Today ran 90 minutes nationally if BPL was coming on later at 12:30. That's actually a local opt-out? I ask because WFMJ runs its newscasts 8:30-9:30 and E/I 9:30-12:30 if BPL comes on later that day, as well.

It runs full two hours but they have the opt out time after 90

Seems like it's standard operating procedure among NBC affiliates to have that 9:30am-12:30pm E/I window. Did NBC always have an 8:30am opt-out for Saturday Today or was that instituted recently?

Seems like it's standard operating procedure among NBC affiliates to have that 9:30am-12:30pm E/I window. Did NBC always have an 8:30am opt-out for Saturday Today or was that instituted recently?

Yeah but most don't opt out.

Archived