WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

The 8 (8.1) only applies to the current over the air signal of low power WBTS-LD 8.1. 8 can never be used on a full power station in Boston due to slight overlap with the Portland, ME market (their intent is to get WBTS on a full power station). Without repeating all of the gory details, they will eventually have to use either 15.1 or 60.x over the air. Phasing out the mention of 8 now is logical.

As I've said, how long before Sinclair (WJAR) throws a hissy fit and causes WBTS to revert back to "NBC Boston" or "NBC 15?"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks. They looked familiar but I couldn’t tell

So WVIT was simulcasting First Night Boston. That’s a bit surprising as I would imagine most of their viewers would associate with New York.

Also when NECN simulcasts NBC Boston’s newscasts is it a straight simulcast with the same graphics and all or does NECN have a seperate package? I ask because I noticed that NECN’s lower thirds don’t go all the way across. The bugs probably easy as that’s likely inserted at master control.

WCSH and WLBZ also simulcasted First Night Boston starting at 11:30P. Perhaps not surprising since WCSH hosts NECN's Portland bureau and airs some of its content.

They won’t, NBC will just yank the affiliation and WBTS/WHDH their ass.

Or just make an offer Sinclair can't refuse. Truth be told they could then use the money to buy Citadel, fix the Lincoln market, and actually make WLNE into something if even just a WSYX clone.

That's only a possibility if Comcast doesn't care about catching hell from Rhode Island politicians from yanking the only NBC affiliation in the state. Regardless of the right-wing stance WJAR now has, that would still be in unbelievably bad form.

Usage of an existing brand and the potential of creating serious viewer confusion in WJAR's home market.

Facepalm. How is this infringing on the Providence market? I'd have serious doubts that WBTS was added to any cable systems inside the Providence DMA that already carry WJAR, regardless of how many Boston stations are carried through significantly viewed status. Checking the Comcast lineup in New Bedford—on the Massachusetts side of the Providence DMA—they have WBZ, WCVB, WHDH and WFXT in addition to the Providence stations (including WJAR). WBTS will never qualify for significantly viewed status since it never existed in the days when people could point their antennas toward whatever city they wanted to pick up and the networks want to get rid of SV anyway.

It's even more black and white on satellite, since even though DIRECTV claims to offer "neighboring local channels," they rarely do. Checked Attleboro, MA and if you're a DIRECTV subscriber, you're only getting Providence stuff. Better stick an antenna on your house if you want Boston networks, and it's going to have to be a big one to pick up WBTS' crap signal.

It isn't until you get actually into the Boston DMA that you start seeing WBTS on the channel lineup—I checked Comcast's lineup from the Foxboro headend (yes, I'm a bit bored today) and they do carry WBTS on Channel 10. Guess what Comcast Foxboro doesn't carry? WJAR, or any other Providence station.

Usage of an existing brand and the potential of creating serious viewer confusion in WJAR's home market.

The network can do whatever they want. Both Boston and Providence DMA's are heavily cabled anyhow so for most folks there will be no confusion. Outside of Bristol County which is in the Providence/New Bedford DMA (note DMAs are not determined by state lines) Mass systems that still carry WJAR do so on different channels from 10. I would think as has happened in most locations, that only the Boston affiliate is carried. Despite the conservative leaning changes to WJAR's news product, it is still highly rated and is one of NBC's oldest affiliates. I doubt either Sinclair or NBC would see this as a necessary fight.

Facepalm. How is this infringing on the Providence market? I'd have serious doubts that WBTS was added to any cable systems inside the Providence DMA that already carry WJAR, regardless of how many Boston stations are carried through significantly viewed status. Checking the Comcast lineup in New Bedford—on the Massachusetts side of the Providence DMA—they have WBZ, WCVB, WHDH and WFXT in addition to the Providence stations (including WJAR). WBTS will never qualify for significantly viewed status since it never existed in the days when people could point their antennas toward whatever city they wanted to pick up and the networks want to get rid of SV anyway.

It's even more black and white on satellite, since even though DIRECTV claims to offer "neighboring local channels," they rarely do. Checked Attleboro, MA and if you're a DIRECTV subscriber, you're only getting Providence stuff. Better stick an antenna on your house if you want Boston networks, and it's going to have to be a big one to pick up WBTS' crap signal.

It isn't until you get actually into the Boston DMA that you start seeing WBTS on the channel lineup—I checked Comcast's lineup from the Foxboro headend (yes, I'm a bit bored today) and they do carry WBTS on Channel 10. Guess what Comcast Foxboro doesn't carry? WJAR, or any other Providence station.

WJAR must have been very recently dropped as every source I've checked has it on channel 99 which it has been for quite some time. IIRC, in Foxboro and nearby towns (Walpole, Norwood, Sharon, et Al) WJAR is the only commercial Providence station with significantly viewed status which explains how they survived after WLNE, WPRI, and WNAC were culled throughout the 2000s.

The network can do whatever they want. Both Boston and Providence DMA's are heavily cabled anyhow so for most folks there will be no confusion. Outside of Bristol County which is in the Providence/New Bedford DMA (note DMAs are not determined by state lines) Mass systems that still carry WJAR do so on different channels from 10. I would think as has happened in most locations, that only the Boston affiliate is carried. Despite the conservative leaning changes to WJAR's news product, it is still highly rated and is one of NBC's oldest affiliates. I doubt either Sinclair or NBC would see this as a necessary fight.

If there's any feud between Sinclair and NBC, it would come from whether Sinclair is bitter about NBC yanking their programming from KENV. Also, NBC may need to enlist Sinclair's assistance as Telemundo outlet WRIW-CD still needs a share partner

Sinclair also own and/or operates the following other NBC affiliates in addition to WJAR:

WPMI - Mobile, AL, via Deerfield

WNBW - Gainesville, FL, via MPS Media

WTWC - Tallahassee, FL, which I believe was Sinclair's only NBC affiliate at the beginning of the decade

WEYI - Flint, MI, via HSH

WPBN & WTOM - Northern Michigan

NBC Montana stations, just acquired from Bonten

KSNV - Las Vegas, NV

KRNV - Reno, NV

WSTM - Syracuse, NY

WTOV - Stubenville, OH

WNWO - Toledo, OH, which I believe Sinclair has "trashed"

KMTR - Eugene, OR, via Roberts

WJAC - Johnstown, PA

WOAI - San Antonio TX

WCYB - Tri Cities, TN/VA, just acquired from Bonten

I believe that several of these station are irreplaceable to NBC.

Let bygones be bygones.

Does anyone know how long, if at all, it took Hearst, KCRA, to get on to NBC for using "NBC 3" for KNTV back in 2002?

Nine months. And the change to "NBC11" happened when NBC assumed control of KNTV from Granite outright.

WNWO was trash even before Sinclair took over but they somehow managed to find a deeper bottom than Barrington.

WNWO has always been the third station in what is a two station market.

Sinclair simply gave up.

It always felt like an orphan of sorts to me whenever I went to that viewing area. Not only does it have to compete with better-loved and better-backed WTOL and WTVG, it also has to contend with WDIV.

Does anyone know how long, if at all, it took Hearst, KCRA, to get on to NBC for using "NBC 3" for KNTV back in 2002?

Hearst didn't do anything about it, and it only lasted about eight months before NBC rebranded KNTV to "NBC11." The "NBC 3" brand and logo was a Granite Broadcasting decision. By the time the NBC agreed to buy KNTV in late 2001, Granite had already put up billboards with that logo and repainted a couple live trucks so they were stuck with it. In fall 2002, NBC 3 was gone and

WNWO has always been the third station in what is a two station market.

Sinclair simply gave up.

I've heard one suggestion that WTVG-DT2 (CW) and WNWO (NBC) sould switch affailations when they're able to do so.

Comcast carries WJAR on Ch. 99 in Foxboro. Many towns south of Boston in Norfolk/Plymouth counties, and all of the Cape/Martha’s Vineyard/Nantucket get both WBTS and WJAR on cable. But WBTS is on Ch. 10, with WJAR on a channel in the high 90s.

WJAR must have been very recently dropped as every source I've checked has it on channel 99 which it has been for quite some time. IIRC, in Foxboro and nearby towns (Walpole, Norwood, Sharon, et Al) WJAR is the only commercial Providence station with significantly viewed status which explains how they survived after WLNE, WPRI, and WNAC were culled throughout the 2000s.

According to the FCC’s “significantly viewed” list, none of the Providence stations have SV status in Norfolk county. Cable/satellite providers can carry OTA stations if they get consent from the broadcaster, even if out of market. However, the “in-market” stations can request that the out-of-market ones get removed. I doubt any of the Boston stations have requested the Providence ones get dropped outside of Bristol County, but I’m sure the Providence stations have gotten the Boston stations dropped in RI. Chs. 4/5/7 all have SV status in northern RI but aren’t carried on cable anywhere in the Ocean state.

Comcast carries WJAR on Ch. 99 in Foxboro. Many towns south of Boston in Norfolk/Plymouth counties, and all of the Cape/Martha’s Vineyard/Nantucket get both WBTS and WJAR on cable. But WBTS is on Ch. 10, with WJAR on a channel in the high 90s.

According to the FCC’s “significantly viewed” list, none of the Providence stations have SV status in Norfolk county. Cable/satellite providers can carry OTA stations if they get consent from the broadcaster, even if out of market. However, the “in-market” stations can request that the out-of-market ones get removed. I doubt any of the Boston stations have requested the Providence ones get dropped outside of Bristol County, but I’m sure the Providence stations have gotten the Boston stations dropped in RI. Chs. 4/5/7 all have SV status in northern RI but aren’t carried on cable anywhere in the Ocean state.

Reminder, most of Bristol County is not in the Boston DMA. They are in the Providence/New Bedford DMA. In fact, WLNE is officially licensed in New Bedford but operates from Providence. The station IDs identify this and in that part of Mass, WJAR is the primary NBC affiliate. As far back as I remember, WJAR has always operated a SE Mass Bureau, under Outlet, NBC, Media General and Sincrap ownership. They also had news sharing agreements with WHDH and vice versa. I don't live in RI anymore and when I visit I can no longer stand their news product but I would assume they have a similar agreement with WBTS.

Sinclair also owns WTOV in Steubenville, OH

WTOV9 has been the ratings leader in the market for many years now. Even with the Sinclair graphics and music and the must-run segments, they're running all over WTRF in the ratings.

Sorry if this is off topic at all. Just thought I should throw this in here...

Reminder, most of Bristol County is not in the Boston DMA. They are in the Providence/New Bedford DMA. In fact, WLNE is officially licensed in New Bedford but operates from Providence. The station IDs identify this and in that part of Mass, WJAR is the primary NBC affiliate. As far back as I remember, WJAR has always operated a SE Mass Bureau, under Outlet, NBC, Media General and Sincrap ownership. They also had news sharing agreements with WHDH and vice versa. I don't live in RI anymore and when I visit I can no longer stand their news product but I would assume they have a similar agreement with WBTS.

This is true. The last time I went to Providence/New Bedford was in 2014 and it was when Media General owned WJAR and LIN (remember them?) owned WPRI and WNAC. When I left, it was like just weeks later when WJAR became Sinclair with its new graphics while WPRI/WNAC was now a part of Nexstar.

Man, not to go too off topic, but my market has become a market of three evils between Citapuke (WLNE), Sincrap (WJAR) and Nexcheap (WPRI/WNAC).

Archived