WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone commented in one of the many WBTS posts on YouTube that NBC Boston's news music package is LA Groove v3, which will be rolled out to the other O&Os.

It sounds more like something from inthegroove to be honest. Listen closely to it and some of the Hearst themes...

Also -- to all the kids here talking about WFXT folding there is no emoticon of an eye roll big enough to use here...

I'd be wary of the opinions of former TV executives; there's generally a reason why they are no longer in the business, and local TV has undergone massive changes in just the last few years.

Plus you can only analyze the short-term so much before it deteriorates into white noise.

Unless your a news fan, I don't know why you would turn to WHDH anymore. The only good syndicated programs they have is Family Feud and Extra. It doesn't have much to lure viewers in to keep them tuned in for newscasts. Why didn't they move The CW from WLVI to their station? At least that would offer something to promote with programming.

Unless your a news fan, I don't know why you would turn to WHDH anymore. The only good syndicated programs they have is Family Feud and Extra. It doesn't have much to lure viewers in to keep them tuned in for newscasts. Why didn't they move The CW from WLVI to their station? At least that would offer something to promote with programming.

Flip them around so that WHDH becomes a CW affiliate and make WLVI the equivalent of WSBK again.

Yes, why do they think we need another NBC bug when there is already one on the screen...smh...[ATTACH=full]3573[/ATTACH]

They need to reinforce their brand. Sure people are tuned in now - but it could be unintentional. Some people may watch when their DVR records a show (if the season pass isn't tied to a channel) or sees a program on the onscreen guide. They did the same thing when I tuned into different newscasts constantly reinforcing the new brand.

WHDH, CHCH America.

The only difference is that WHDH could've avoided this by getting some better syndicated shows. WJXT, KTVK, and even KRON when they turned indie balanced out more news with some decent syndie fare. I think that WHDH is relying way too much on people turning from WBTS (which has decent news, BTW) and that will be it's downfall, with 74 hours of news reduced to just 17.5 hours.

Combining the program inventories for both WHDH and WLVI is inevitable. It's only a matter of whether Sunbeam hands in the WLVI license for spectrum bait, or simply disperses of the license to a third party.

It only couldn't happen right away because of the spectrum auction. Same reason why NBC didn't buy WMFP outright... we all know that will ultimately happen.

WHDH, CHCH America.

The only difference is that WHDH could've avoided this by getting some better syndicated shows. WJXT, KTVK, and even KRON when they turned indie balanced out more news with some decent syndie fare. I think that WHDH is relying way too much on people turning from WBTS (which has decent news, BTW) and that will be it's downfall, with 74 hours of news reduced to just 17.5 hours.

CHCH's ownership screwed over the union employees by putting CHCH under a separate license and had THAT file for bankruptcy.

I don't really have much sympathy for Channel Zero, as they run specialty cable channels. They had and have zero idea how to operate a conventional television station.

Not sure how this worked out but according to WNBC Lauren Scala's Instagram story feed she hosted The Hub Live today from New York. Was the show a split edition or just NY only - maybe for the golden globes ?

Not sure how this worked out but according to WNBC Lauren Scala's Instagram story feed she hosted The Hub Live today from New York. Was the show a split edition or just NY only - maybe for the golden globes ?

The Hub is beamed to Boston from WNBC, it isn't produced by NBC Boston.

The Hub is beamed to Boston from WNBC, it isn't produced by NBC Boston.

Ah. I've never seen NY Live but is it essentially the same show and how do they handle the local segments? I realize they're taped but being a show from NY may make it difficult for anchors to relate.

Ah. I've never seen NY Live but is it essentially the same show and how do they handle the local segments? I realize they're taped but being a show from NY may make it difficult for anchors to relate.

If hubbed programming is good and convincing enough for the vast majority of iHeartMedia radio stations, it's probably good enough for NBC on TV.

NBC Boston for some reason showed an ID before going to NBC programming. not sure why they still do this because usually other networks like CBS just shows a bumper about a show then goes to their network programming.

NBC Boston for some reason showed an ID before going to NBC programming. not sure why they still do this because usually other networks like CBS just shows a bumper about a show then goes to their network programming.

Might be a NBC thing, but I've seen a few other NBC affiliates and O&Os show the station bug for 5 seconds then going to the network bug.

Might be a NBC thing, but I've seen a few other NBC affiliates and O&Os show the station bug for 5 seconds then going to the network bug.

oh yeah i remember now. mine for example just has a 5 second bumper about how my NBC affiliate KCRA is Sacramento's #1 news followed by a spinning award for news excellence.

NBC Boston needs a Number next to their bug to show where their main station is like "NBC 8 Boston". a lot of people say its confusing to where they are on. perhaps at least show an ID showing where they can be watched. KNTV does it.

I believe there's space for a bumper before primetime. Here in Baltimore it's just a quick message doing an ID and including a sponsor.

NBC Boston needs a Number next to their bug to show where their main station is like "NBC 8 Boston". a lot of people say its confusing to where they are on. perhaps at least show an ID showing where they can be watched. KNTV does it.

Like a full screen graphic or legal TOTH IDs that are text/small image overlayed on top of programming.

Archived