WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*Cough*

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/whdh-says-its-not-going-away-quietly-with-ratings-wins/183637

Yeah, I know, day one. Etc. Two things stand out:

1) The thing a lot of you forgot in all this: HDH is consistently tops or #2 in "the demo" and has been for YEARS. That doesn't just evaporate overnight, and I don't expect it to here. They'll probably be in a comfortable spot for a couple books, at least.

2) BTS already won a timeslot at 6pm. And after being 5th at 5PM no less. Definitely wasn't expecting that so soon.

Maybe Boston can support five news outlets?

Ed Ansin has beaten the odds before. Nothing to say it can't happen again.

2) BTS already won a timeslot at 6pm. And after being 5th at 5PM no less. Definitely wasn't expecting that so soon.

Maybe Boston can support five news outlets?

Given that WBTS was dead last in all other time slots (including 10p) that 6pm win looks like a statistical outlier.

Given that WBTS was dead last in all other time slots (including 10p) that 6pm win looks like a statistical outlier.

And possibly is due to Nightly News more than anything, although Today came in at dead last.

Morning drive could become WHDH's domain, especially with Cox unnecessarily messing with WFXT the way they did.

First newscast on NBC Boston - NBC Boston Weekend Today (Sunday morning 1/1/17 at 5:30am)

What I got away from that clip was first ever newscast, first ever word: "tragedy." Also, why in the hell are they NOT doing precipitation percentages in whole, tens digits? Why in the hell are they doing "88%, 19%, 29%"? What? Is that supposed to convey increased accuracy or something to the viewer? It doesn't, it's stupid, and that's not how it works. The National Weather Service doesn't do it. Even AccuWeather doesn't do it. That's ridiculous. Plus, he's...framed weird. Maybe it's the unnecessary upper third, but he looks really crammed, like he's zoomed in too far and standing too close to the camera. He's practically framed bellybutton-up.

I wonder how it felt knowing literally no one watched you from 5-6am.

Plus, he's...framed weird. Maybe it's the unnecessary upper third, but he looks really crammed, like he's zoomed in too far and standing too close to the camera. He's practically framed bellybutton-up.

The studio is incredibly small and so is the chroma key.

While this image was taken while the studio was used by NECN they layout remained the same. You can see the green screen in this tweet and it looks like there's not much room to work with.

[MEDIA=twitter]718364127492775936[/MEDIA]

Looks like NBC Boston will debut a new forecast system dubbed the "NBCU Forecast System". I assume based on the name means it will be available nationwide.

[MEDIA=twitter]816664267407687680[/MEDIA]

The angle they're using for the weather maps are going to take a while to get used to. A straight east-west Mercator projection is basically what you see for most state views and it's natural because you think 'weather systems usually come through Albany and Springfield' before they hit Boston. Having a northwest view might get in Boston and Merrimack a bit easier, but it's not a natural map angle by any means.

Look like there a new #1 station daily in Beantown?

Monday Channel 7 won

Tuesday both Channels 4 & 5 claim victory?

Who going to be #1 Wednesday, Thursday & Friday will it be FOX 25?

whdhjan2ratings.jpg

bostonratingsbattle_wcvb.jpg

bostonratingsbattle_wbz.jpg

How to spin the same numbers, by every local news station ever.

[QUt. Their newscasts aren't flashy like WHDH and Shannon, Phil and Pete make a great team.

I wonder how it felt knowing literally no one watched you from 5-6am.

At first I'm sure he felt denial....followed by a shameful and dirty feeling...followed by an overall feeling of helplessness...depression and finally the thought of an exit bag.

Should have went into sales.

It's probably obvious that NBC Boston isn't expecting to win any timeslots/demos in the next year or so... I'm wondering how far ahead are they looking until they determine that what NBC has on their local lineup isn't working...

It's only been 4 days, people. Stop making the numbers such a big deal. WBTS is a LONG-term project for NBC. They know what they got themselves into when they launched the station, so I doubt they're panicking about the ratings.

It's only been 4 days, people. Stop making the numbers such a big deal. WBTS is a LONG-term project for NBC. They know what they got themselves into when they launched the station, so I doubt they're panicking about the ratings.

Yup. Ditto with WHDH.

But if I'm at WFXT, I would be VERY worried. They have no excuses, and if the rumored rebranding away from "Fox 25" simply crashes and burns on impact...

Yup. Ditto with WHDH.

But if I'm at WFXT, I would be VERY worried. They have no excuses, and if the rumored rebranding away from "Fox 25" simply crashes and burns on impact...

Ansin may end up with WFXT (or at least its non-license assets) sooner rather than later.

Nobody is under any illusion that these preliminary numbers are where the stations will end up in the long run. That said, WFXT has a lot to worry about - and all stations should be concerned about the impact on WBTS's debut on ad rates. There's a lot of new inventory out there, and it's become a buyer's market.

Nobody's under any illusion that these preliminary numbers are where the stations will end up in the long run. That said, WFXT has a lot to worry about - and all stations should be concerned about the impact on WBTS's debut on ad rates. There's a lot of new inventory out there, and it's become a buyer's market.

It's still encouraging that in many time slots so far that they're not dead last or are tied. I wonder how Prime and late night are doing?

I'm hesitant to judge this early on, but nothing stands out very much about WBTS to me. I don't dislike anyone on the evening team, but they're lacking the type of charismatic personality that David Wade and Ed Harding bring to channels 4 and 5 respectively. Even if you look at channel 7 the comfort level and rapport between Adam Williams and Kim Khazei feels far less forced than what's on NBC Boston. As I mentioned earlier, I am hesitant because I know that they've only been anchoring together for a month or two so perhaps things will improve with more time.

As for the set, I'm not very impressed. The blues mixed with the wood sort of reminds me of BZ’s set update, albeit far smaller and less interesting. I do appreciate the fact that they tried something unique (to Boston) with live video for the backdrop, but can anyone honestly say that looks better than just using a still picture of the Waterfront or Copley Square skyline? To me the Zakim Bridge is not all that dynamic to look at.

I'm also sort of surprised that they didn't choose to use LA Groove. Maybe this is a new version of it? Whatever the case it sounds like bland, cheap production music.

On the upside the graphics, particularly for weather are terrific. It also seems like they’ve been sending a lot of reporters out which I hope will continue to be the case even after the station has started to establish itself. I wonder if they’ll eventually launch a Sunday night sports show like all the other Boston channels run after the 11pm news.

On a side note, pretty clever timing on this promo by WBZ:

I'm also sort of surprised that they didn't choose to use LA Groove. Maybe this is a new version of it? Whatever the case it sounds like bland, cheap production music.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdyGug4ljbA

Someone commented in one of the many WBTS posts on YouTube that NBC Boston's news music package is LA Groove v3, which will be rolled out to the other O&Os.

Another opinion piece from the Globe. This time Leung's take and input from former TV executives about both NBC Boston & WHDH.

I'd be wary of the opinions of former TV executives; there's generally a reason why they are no longer in the business, and local TV has undergone massive changes in just the last few years.

Archived