WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

So, what happens if there's breaking news between midnight and 3:00am? Which station gets the NBC feed?

WHDH, I would guess.

Some weird memory remnant suggests that the broadcast day actually begins at 0600, which is why I'm kind of surprised that the changeover occurs at 0300.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the infamous September 1995 affiliation/ownership swap between CBS and NBC took place, it was effective as soon as SNL ended for the night. (Literally, WTVJ 4 and WCIX 6 swapped licenses to become WFOR 4 and WTVJ 6 at 1:01AM.)

If a breaking story were to happen overnight, I'd assume that WHDH would run NBC for as long as they could until the broadcasting day begins, then they'd have to give it up.

So, if WHDH gets to air the breaking news coverage, do they have to drop it right at 3:00am (or whenever) and let WBTS take the feed at that exact moment, or will someone at NBC decide to err on the side of public service and let both stations have the feed?

(Look, we're talking about the night 2016 ends. Anything's possible.)

So, if WHDH gets to air the breaking news coverage, do they have to drop it right at 3:00am (or whenever) and let WBTS take the feed at that exact moment, or will someone at NBC decide to err on the side of public service and let both stations have the feed?

(Look, we're talking about the night 2016 ends. Anything's possible.)

Oh please...

It's not like the President or some world leader is gonna send some rouge tweet.. in the middle of the night,.. causing some kind of international incident...

oops...

Never mind.

Oh please...

It's not like the President or some world leader is gonna send some rouge tweet.. in the middle of the night,.. causing some kind of international incident...

oops...

Never mind.

But he's not President, yet...

Wonder what will happen when the Secret Service comes in on Jan. 20th and confiscates his personal phones and tablets??? (IIRC, it happened with Barry nearly 8 years ago -lost his iPhone...)

Now that he has won the clitoral vote... the Secret Service can replace his blackberries.

He actually uses an Android.

And I'll believe the "secret service will confiscate his phone" when I actually see it. His private security goons will override them.

We'll be lucky if he doesn't instigate a thermonuclear war over the next few months.

Wonder what will happen when the Secret Service comes in on Jan. 20th and confiscates his personal phones and tablets??? (IIRC, it happened with Barry nearly 8 years ago -lost his iPhone...)

I thought Barry lost his Blackberry. That was the smart phone of choice at the time and the only one that could be made secure until a few years ago.

Back on topic, it seems like that Spectrum is the only major holdout of note at this point minus a couple small systems (Fibrecast in NH, Duncan in VT) on the fringe of the market. TDS and Metrocast in New Hampshire and Southern Vermont Cable and Vermont Telephone in Vermont have signed on too. And even then, most of Spectrum's customers have access to an alternate source of NBC.

Those in the towns of Pepperell, Dunstable, Groton, and Harvard are screwed for now though.

I thought Barry lost his Blackberry. That was the smart phone of choice at the time and the only one that could be made secure until a few years ago.

The Blackberry was pretty limited to only being able to send and receive emails from a small group of people. Those who got the email address had to be briefed by White House lawyers. Additionally functions such as forward were disabled.

He actually uses an Android.

And I'll believe the "secret service will confiscate his phone" when I actually see it. His private security goons will override them.

We'll be lucky if he doesn't instigate a thermonuclear war over the next few months.

President Obama got a smartphone this year but it was extremely limited. He couldn't make calls, take pictures, text or listen to music. It might as well be a brick.

I believe that the same security considerations will apply to Trump. Hopefully he realizes from the getgo that he'll need to use government issued devices/protocols to tweet or have someone manage his account full time.

From what I've heard through different sources PEOTUS Trump sometimes dictates his tweets. But there were several analysis which showed that different types of tweets come from different devices. His late night angry tweets come from an Android while the upbeat positive ones come from an iPhone.

We also got to remember this is the same man who isn't a fan of computers and has his aides handle his emails.

Also, calling President Obama "Barry" is disrespectful. He stopped using the nickname and as president should be respected.

Finally we should get back to the topic at hand: discussing the new NBC station WBTS.

Finally we should get back to the topic at hand: discussing the new NBC station WBTS.

Honestly, there's not that left much to say until NBC Boston formally launches operations on Saturday night at 6pm.

To their credit, Comcast-NBC managed to get NBC Boston on both a desirable VHF ID (the LPTV channel 8) and on a full-power signal (WMFP 60.5).

Only two things that are still a question mark are: 1) when the purchase of WMFP as the in-city replacement for WNEU will take place, and 2) if any and all technical issues are managed to get resolved right before launch. But Comcast-NBC pulled a rabbit out of their hat at the most critical moment.

Only two things that are still a question mark are: 1) when the purchase of WMFP (or another station) as the in-city replacement for WNEU will take place, and 2) if any and all technical issues are managed to get resolved right before launch. But Comcast-NBC pulled a rabbit out of their hat at the most critical moment.

Fixed.

Looks like the new mic flags are ready........

[MEDIA=twitter]813976207217790976[/MEDIA]

EDIT: No wait. They're dual.

[MEDIA=twitter]813890365514256384[/MEDIA]

And finally, Sinclair's WJAR has recently made an FAQ relating to NBC Boston for the folks down South.

And here's Boston Globe's latest piece on Ansin's post-NBC's plans.

I won't say never with Ed Ansin and WHDH/WLVI, but he may be committed to weathering the storm.

I don't think Ansin would want WMFP, or yet alone a third station (if they were legally allowed to), hehe. Even if Ed were to get one of his buddies to shell and LMA/SSA WMFP for him, why would he want another 24 hour Family Feud channel? :D

Hopefully NBC Boston will broadcast in 5.1 sound for all network programming. Currently the countdown channel is only in 2.0 sound.

I'm also wondering how the FCC's audio description requirements will be enforced, especially with this setup; I'm sure they will get their SAP on the first day on WBTS-LD (especially to allow the Spanish audio feed of SNF to air on SAP), but with Boston basically being the nucleus of the access community for closed captioning and DVS thanks to WGBH, they pretty much have to launch with them, though WMFP-DT5 and WNEU-DT2 might not to start.

WHDH will be happy to let that all that go sadly; they still have to maintain text-to-speech with weather warnings but otherwise the switchboard will be getting much fewer 'why is someone describing what's happening, I'm not a ******' calls.

I don't think Ansin would want WMFP, or yet alone a third station (if they were legally allowed to), hehe. Even if Ed were to get one of his buddies to shell and LMA/SSA WMFP for him, why would he want another 24 hour Family Feud channel? :D

I was referring to Ed ultimately crying uncle and selling out to NBC for a fraction of his perceived worth of WHDH.

Ed should have consolidated the program inventory of WLVI onto WHDH, and dispersed of the lesser signal. Theoretically, that would have taken place in the spectrum auction, but that has been extremely underwhelming, to say the least.

It still could happen, but that would only come via a sale. And a bruised ego.

Ed should have consolidated the program inventory of WLVI onto WHDH, and dispersed of the lesser signal.

Yup. Of course, it could still happen, especially if WHDH doesn't do well as a news-intensive indie.

WBTS is showing up on RCN cable in HD on channel 603 between WGBH on 602 and WBZ on 604, though they are not presently appearing on a low position SD channel (between 2-WGBH and 22-WUTF).

According to NBC Boston it's supposed to be 10. We'll see how the rollout goes over the next few days. For me I know I'm going to reflexively go to WHDH for a little while until I get used to it.

Is WBTS getting a new set or are they using the one NECN previously used? I know sets cost money but it would seem a bit odd that they are doing all these improvements and additions to use the same set.

From what I've heard, it's mostly new. Guess we'll see Sunday morning.

Also makes me wonder how long until NECN folds altogether. It's only carried on Comcast systems now and is very Boston-centric these days.

Well technically that's not true because I have Verizon and they still carry NECN. But I do agree with your larger point that it feels redundant in a time where local news in the market is so competitive.

Somewhere I read that NECN is going to focus on all of New England while WBTS will focus on Greater Boston (ie like the other three broadcast channels).

Archived