WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

You know, any time someone comes on here and very loudly proclaims to be a TV station employee, they almost never are. Unfortunately, you gave yourself away with this post and the new user account purporting to be an NBC employee (with a invalid NBCUni.com email address) that was registered from your IP and caught in the "unconfirmed users" group. That also revealed several other banned users from that IP. Oopsie!

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=wKFeRIwAFuI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There were some major red flags with this poster in the

San Diego WSD88 Radar failure thread.

It was pretty obvious to some of us, that this person had NO CLUE about the NBC radar and KNBC helo operations and practices....shit that just about any NBC/KNBC LA News employee would have knowledge of.

I played nice anyway....

Just say the word Weeters...and next time NewsBuffy goes near a beach...I will eat him...or her...or "it". I would offer to bring you a "Head on a stick"...but the head is the yummy part, and is akin to one of your tasty human "corn dogs".

That's too bad. I liked NewsBuffy and I could have a better conversation with him than with most other people on here, but I'll leave it at that

So does NBC getting approval to shift WBTS's VC to 8 set a precedent for other "disadvantaged" stations to move to more desirable channel numbers?

I think this was a waiver/exception granted by the FCC. I don't know that they cried "disadvantaged" to do it though.

One interesting effect from the NBC affiliation switch is how other stations in the market will promote themselves.

WBZ's entry plays up its heritage in the New England community: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/12/15/new-wbz-tv-legacy-promo-whos-who/

I think the short answer that the other three will all play up the heritage/local aspect. WBZ prides itself on being first, WCVB will say they're the highest rated and the first to put the focus back on local interest (i.e. Chronicle, etc.), WHDH already does with the "always have been, always will be" tag, and WFXT prides itself on the number of hours of local news they show.

So does NBC getting approval to shift WBTS's VC to 8 set a precedent for other "disadvantaged" stations to move to more desirable channel numbers?

Comcast-NBC got lucky because WBTS is a low-power signal and away enough from WMTW to avoid any significant overlap.

I don't think that you'll see this occur again anytime soon.

Is it worthwhile for Comcast to keep WBTS on channel 46.1 (8.1) if their signal on WMFP 18.5 (62.5) has a wider circumference?

My sense is that the long-term plan is to get WBTS onto one, full-power channel, whichever one it is.

Is it worthwhile for Comcast to keep WBTS on channel 46.1 (8.1) if their signal on WMFP 18.5 (62.5) has a wider circumference?

Even presuming the following takes place:

** Comcast-NBC buys WMFP at post-spectrum auction prices

** WNEU's IP and PSIP IDs of 60.X are transferred onto the current WMFP

** The current WNEU assumes WMFP's PSIP IDs of 62.X and the WMFP calls

Why not keep WBTS as an in-market relay for kicks and giggles? It technically is being recognized as the official market affiliate for NBC, with 60.2 and 60.5 as the multicast repeaters.

Welcome to Alabama's ABC 33/40 on WBMA-LD, WCFT and WJSU

That's what we're doing here. Just like 1996, its happening again in 2017. (except two are on digital subchannels and not on main channels)

Welcome to NBC Boston on WBTS-LD, WNEU and WMFP

That's what we're doing here. Just like 1996, its happening again in 2017. (except two are on digital subchannels and not on main channels)

works for the patriots on Thursday nights.

It's well-suited for an era and market where channel positition is less and less important, in a time where WFXT, marked as Fox 25 for well over two decades is on channel 6 or 8 depending on the cable system.

It's well-suited for an era and market where channel positition is less and less important, in a time where WFXT, marked as Fox 25 for well over two decades is on channel 6 or 8 depending on the cable system.

Or 25. :)

(Well, the SD version.)

Even presuming the following takes place:

** Comcast-NBC buys WMFP at post-spectrum auction prices

** WNEU's IP and PSIP IDs of 60.X are transferred onto the current WMFP

** The current WNEU assumes WMFP's PSIP IDs of 62.X and the WMFP calls

Why not keep WBTS as an in-market relay for kicks and giggles? It technically is being recognized as the official market affiliate for NBC, with 60.2 and 60.5 as the multicast repeaters.

Also, 8 is a more advantageous, easy-to-remember channel number.

Is there any possibility after the repacking, that the FCC might do away with virtual channels and just have real frequencies, since stations are generally moving further away from their analog numbers?

Actually, the opposite is true. PSIP channel IDs account for frequencies no longer in actual usage, plus they were in place so that the analog-to-digital conversion would be less complicated for Joe Q. Public.

It might ultimately be in the best interests of TV stations to eventually adopt branding not unlike Canadian TV. As Global, CTV, City and the CBC own the vast majority of their respective affiliates, they are typically branded by network, occasionally with locale. (Exclusions being the infamous E! netlet where the affiliates branded their newscasts by the call letters, and Jim Pattinson's current string of City affiliates in British Columbia.) But point being, the proliferation of cable TV made channel number branding in Canada pointless by the late 1980s.

Even though ABC 33/40 has/had enough traction in the Birmingham market, S!nclair probably should have rebranded it "ABC Birmingham" or "ABC WBMA" upon taking over the IP. But what do I know.

TitanTV indicates that WHDH will carry Carson Daly's countdown at 11:30 as their final NBC program of note. WBTS's coverage of Boston's New Year's Eve celebration starts at 6pm.

By comparison, on December 31, 1988, NBC aired the Orange Bowl parade in prime time... but on WSVN. NBC-owned WTVJ ran a local pre-parade show with the same talent leading into their final three hours of CBS programming ever. (WSVN did a local countdown show with Bob Soper.)

By comparison, on December 31, 1988, NBC aired the Orange Bowl parade in prime time... but on WSVN. NBC-owned WTVJ ran a local pre-parade show with the same talent leading into their final three hours of CBS programming ever. (WSVN did a local countdown show with Bob Soper.)

And WSVN didn't show the segment containing WTVJ's float. I recorded WSVN's coverage (and attended the parade), and there's a skyline view of Miami with generic crowd noise during the time WTVJ's float aired on network television.

Wonder if Carson Dallas will "welcome" NBC Boston during the telecast (airing on WHDH)...

J

Archived