WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

Based on Cox's love for FOX, I'd say you could see WFXT going NBC if it is indeed a failure. Would open up WHDH to finally get FOX like WSVN.

There is a zero percent chance of NBC giving the affiliation to any other station. Boston is a huge NFL town, and NBC has the rights to several Patriots games every year. Comcast (owner of NBC) is also the main cable provider in Boston. Do you think Comcast pays retransmission fees to its NBC O&Os? If they do, it's the equivalent of you moving a $20 bill from your right pocket, into your left pocket. Pure profit for Comcast NBCUniversal. With that in mind, do you really think NBC will ever be on any signal other than WBTS in Boston? Even if local news draws 0.0s in the ratings, network programming still pulls in viewers. Comcast has set up a no-lose situation with WBTS in which they profit either way. Sure, they'd make more if WBTS news did well in the ratings, but they're not losing money if nobody watches their local news.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NBC is staying as O&O here. If the opportunity presents itself, could NBC upgrade their offerings to a better station remaining as a O&O? Possibly, however I doubt that will happen. Right now, for the next 4 seasons at least, I would expect the majority of the Patriots games to air on WBZ (Majority of Preseason/Sunday afternoon CBS games), however NBC will have a handful (2-3 season, unless Patriots have immediate turnaround in the standings), and when the Patriots are on Sunday night, those games would be huge for NBC in Boston. The key is that as a NBC O&O, NBC could air network programming without worrying about preemptions, which is the key reason why NBC created this station. Would NBC wish their local news was higher? Sure, I even would wish that this station rated like #3 in the market, I knew that it wouldn't rank #1 with WCVB and even WBZ being more established, and knew that longtime viewers wouldn't switch from those stations, however they should of gone for the viewers of former affiliate WHDH, as well as the WFXT viewers that aren't happy with how Cox has been running the station. If anyone thought that this station would just jump right in and be the #1 station in Boston, you would of been nuts, I expected #3 or so from start, and I am fully supportive of NBC having their O&O here. They should do well, average at best, and the room for them to improve is plenty. Keep doing it well.

It makes me laugh that some of you are judging the success or failure of WBTS on news ratings alone. NBC is now pocketing every local ad dollar that WHDH previously got when they aired NBC shows.

Even if they have to cancel local news, the station is already a success for them.

That's the beauty of WBTS/WNEU/NECN: Comcast controls the signals and most of the major distribution methods of said signals. No middleman. No lost money. That was Comcast's end game in Boston, to eliminate Ansin as a gatekeeper of NBC programming.

WBTS/WNEU/WYCN/WMFP/NECN.

With all those call signs I’d like to see their TOTH IDs and if they even bother listing them on station promos as each has a different city of license.

Unless NBC is running four seperate master control channels for the station.

WBTS/WNEU/WYCN/WMFP/NECN.

WMFP is already superfluous and unnecessary. So is WBTS, but WBTS is still fulfilling it's original intent as a translator for WNEU.

By the time WNEU moves to Needham, that will be the primary NBC/Telemundo affiliate, with WYCN 15.X as the "translator" of sorts.

With the Patriots in the Super Bowl this Sunday, their NFL record 10th appearance, here's a scorecard of Boston stations that have televised each of those games:

WBTS 10-NBC (1): LII

WBZ 4-NBC (1): XX

WBZ 4-CBS (1): XXXVIII

WFXT 25-FOX (5): XXXI, XXXVI, XXXIX, XLII, LI

WHDH 7-NBC (2): XLVI, XLIX

WCVB 5-ABC (0)

With all those call signs I’d like to see their TOTH IDs and if they even bother listing them on station promos as each has a different city of license.

Translators are only required to be identified twice a day, at 9AM and 3PM.

Also, as I understand it, it is possible to program each individual translator's electronics to trigger an ID only for its own individual channel.

Translators are only required to be identified twice a day, at 9AM and 3PM.

Also, as I understand it, it is possible to program each individual translator's electronics to trigger an ID only for its own individual channel.

True. But many stations burn theirs in with the newscast graphics. Like with WZDC - which hasn’t commenced channel sharing with WRC(but is carried on a subchannel) lists WZDC-CD 25.1 WASHINGTON WRC-TV 4.3 WASHINGTON.

• 2 weeks later...
According to newenglandone, it appears that Christa Delcamp will join NBC 10 Boston to possibly being paired with Latoyia Edwards in the morning.

What is the anchor lineup like after all the recent changes?

At this point, I’m pretty sure it’s something like this:

4-7am: Latoyia Edwards and Christa Delcamp

Noon: Brian Shactman and Joy Lim Nakrin(?)

4p: Audrey Asistio and Shannon Mulaire

5p: Chris Emma and JC Monahan

6p/11p: Phil Lipof and Shannon Mulaire

7p: Phil Lipof and JC Monahan

Weekend mornings are Jeff Saperstone and Susan Tran, weekend evenings are Frank Holland and Kristy Lee.

At this point, I’m pretty sure it’s something like this:

4-7am: Latoyia Edwards and Christa Delcamp

Noon: Brian Shactman and Joy Lim Nakrin(?)

4p: Audrey Asistio and Shannon Mulaire

5p: Chris Emma and JC Monahan

6p/11p: Phil Lipof and Shannon Mulaire

7p: Phil Lipof and JC Monahan

Weekend mornings are Jeff Saperstone and Susan Tran, weekend evenings are Frank Holland and Kristy Lee.

What happened to Nick Emmons, Melody Mendez, and Desiree Wiley?

What happened to Nick Emmons, Melody Mendez, and Desiree Wiley?

Nick was moved off NBC10 after Latoyia took over the morning newscast. He anchors afternoons on NECN. Desiree was taken off weekend AMs and demoted to reporter....however FTVLive says she’s leaving soon to move to Nashville with her husband. As for Melody, it appears she’s no longer on the morning news, so we’ll see where she lands.

Nick was moved off NBC10 after Latoyia took over the morning newscast. He anchors afternoons on NECN. Desiree was taken off weekend AMs and demoted to reporter....however FTVLive says she’s leaving soon to move to Nashville with her husband. As for Melody, it appears she’s no longer on the morning news, so we’ll see where she lands.

Dunno seems like a lot of change in the first year for a station trying to build from scratch. I still question whether this was a smart move by NBC. Only time will tell.

WMFP is already superfluous and unnecessary. So is WBTS, but WBTS is still fulfilling it's original intent as a translator for WNEU.

By the time WNEU moves to Needham, that will be the primary NBC/Telemundo affiliate, with WYCN 15.X as the "translator" of sorts.

The FCC today granted the application to move WNEU from New Hampshire to Needham.

• 1 month later...

WMFP's 90 day extension to remain on the air expires in early April. The PDF doc on the FCC site is corrupted, making the exact date unavailable. NBC Boston seems to be once again determined to confuse viewers though. They aren't running a crawl on 60-5, and the web site has only this oddity:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/Important-Message-for-Over-the-Air-Viewers-of-NBC10-Boston-477765763.html

Odd because the video is old - from the addition of 15-1, and only the text below it is current. Maybe after April 1 they will temporarily have something on 60-5 telling viewers to rescan?

WMFP's 90 day extension to remain on the air expires in early April. The PDF doc on the FCC site is corrupted, making the exact date unavailable. NBC Boston seems to be once again determined to confuse viewers though. They aren't running a crawl on 60-5, and the web site has only this oddity:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/Important-Message-for-Over-the-Air-Viewers-of-NBC10-Boston-477765763.html

Odd because the video is old - from the addition of 15-1, and only the text below it is current. Maybe after April 1 they will temporarily have something on 60-5 telling viewers to rescan?

The thing is they’re supposed to run a notice telling viewers. I feel like it’s supposed to be 30 days out.

NBC 10 has been moving their anchors around so much lately. I have no idea who anchors what anymore. I've seen Melody Mendez at 4, Joy Lim Nakrin at noon, less of Audrey Asistio (Thank God. Can't stand her.), and Nick Emmons is on NECN (which he really should be on NBC 10 in the evenings. He is an underused talent.)

Does anyone know who the anchor teams are now?

The thing is they’re supposed to run a notice telling viewers. I feel like it’s supposed to be 30 days out.

The corrupted file on the FCC site for the 90 day extension is named "WMFP_Jan_23_Waiver_Request.pdf", so that would put the shutdown date at April 22. NBC Boston could pull the programming from 60-5 on April 1, put a slide there and be pretty close.

Many TV's will have added 15-1 (and 15-2) already without re-scanning. Just tuning to WGBX once, will cause some of the ATSC chipsets to update all the subchannels.

They aren't running a crawl on 60-5, and the web site has only this oddity:

I saw a crawl during Superstore last night. What's really funny is that it read "if you watch NBC 10 Boston on 60.5, please rescan your TV to find NBC 10 Boston on 15.1". They're still using the "10" branding when it's advertising Channel 15. Seriously, just go back to "NBC Boston". It sounds much nicer and doesn't confuse viewers with WJAR.

Does anyone know who the anchor teams are now?

Not a complete list, but here is what I do know:

Mornings (4 - 7 AM): Christa Delcamp, Latoyia Edwards

5 PM: JC Monahan, Chris Emma

6 PM: Phil Lipof, Shannon Mulaire

7 PM: Phil Lipof, JC Monahan

11 PM: Phil Lipof, Shannon Mulaire

Not sure about Noon and 4 PM.

I saw a crawl during Superstore last night. What's really funny is that it read "if you watch NBC 10 Boston on 60.5, please rescan your TV to find NBC 10 Boston on 15.1". They're still using the "10" branding when it's advertising Channel 15. Seriously, just go back to "NBC Boston". It sounds much nicer and doesn't confuse viewers with WJAR.

Or just embrace the 15 and go all-in. :)

Archived