WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

NBC Boston has now updated the “Channel Finder” page on their website to reflect that the station is now (also) over-the-air on Channel 15:

https://www.nbcboston.com/contact-us/tv-listings/boston-channel-finder-400035841.html

They also posted a press release to their website, including a video where Phil Lipof announces “you can watch NBC10 Boston over the air on Channel 15.1”. Commence mass confusion!

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/NBC10-Boston-Announces-New-Over-the-Air-Channel-470114823.html

To Comcast’s credit, they will be starting a promotional campaign to highlight 15.1 as the new primary home of NBC Boston (and they left out 60.5, so the lease with WMFP appears to be winding down).

But again, IMO, they are missing the boat in not visibly promoting 15 in the station branding. Even a temporary “NBC 10/15 Boston” (not unlike KNSD pre-2008) would work to highlight cable and OTA.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To Comcast’s credit, they will be starting a promotional campaign to highlight 15.1 as the new primary home of NBC Boston (and they left out 60.5, so the lease with WMFP appears to be winding down).

But again, IMO, they are missing the boat in not visibly promoting 15 in the station branding. Even a temporary “NBC 10/15 Boston” (not unlike KNSD pre-2008) would work to highlight cable and OTA.

When is there too much in branding TV?

At what point do we assume the viewer is too stupid or smart enough to figure out how to find a favorite station?

NBC 10/15 Boston ...

dot com...#NBC1015.com instafart bla bla bla...facepunk@google...

What part is the "part" that really matters now?

The calls... or the website... or the channel assignments? All or it or none of it?

Remember when the artist known as Prince changed his name to a symbol, cuz I think it's all heading in that direction. A symbol and a cute little signature tone or jingle.

I'm sorry...

But as an American /Korean /Mexican I tend to ask a lot of questions.

I understand if you can't answer due to the goverment shutdown.

I have extra water and batteries...and we are ready if there are looters.

Or just go all-in on 15. "NBC 15 Boston -- Now on channel 15, even on cable!"

Seriously, the SD feed is on channel 26 up here, while 15 is available.

This is going to be a sight to see if the Pats advance to the Super Bowl tomorrow.

The NFL has already crowned them champions so why not. One of the most arrogant and insufferable fanbases in all of professional sports...

Comcast/Xfinity in Londonderry, NH. 26 used to be WGBX's SD feed, until NHPTV and WGBH joined at the hip.

Meanwhile, Comcast in Gloucester and Rockport carry the station on cable channel 6.

If Comcast owns NBC, and NBC Boston is branding itself as “NBC 10 Boston”, why would Comcast NOT put this station on cable channel 10 in select Comcast markets?

Meanwhile, Comcast in Gloucester and Rockport carry the station on cable channel 6.

If Comcast owns NBC, and NBC Boston is branding itself as “NBC 10 Boston”, why would Comcast NOT put this station on cable channel 10 in select Comcast markets?

KNTV is still on Comcast Channel 3 in San Jose & throughout most of the Bay Area despite being NBC 11 for years now and KNTV traditionally being on Channel 11 prior to NBC's purchase of them.

That may be the plan, but you would be amazed at all the stupid little technical or contractual stuff that can get in the way during a project this size.

Little stupid stuff Like...

"We promised bla bla we would protect channel 10 until year 2045"....

"The new demodulator won't fit in the old racks"...

"These are 24 volts and those are 12 volts...now we need transformers...and they won't fit in the new racks"...

"They get interference and pixals in Bo-Bo Township on Ch-10...so we need to rewire the entire county with the special Yumbo cable with those gold connectors that are so rad."

All kinds of stupid stuff compounding after years and years of "other company" mistakes and past foul-ups and contract blunders.

Or maybe they just don't feel like it.

Likely contractual obligations. What’s on channel 10 those systems? Sometimes systems will sell a channel position to a cable network - I think that’s a reason why QVC and HSN seem to be in the same “neighborhood” as many local stations, C-SPAN and the sports networks.

"They get interference and pixals in Bo-Bo Township on Ch-10...so we need to rewire the entire county with the special Yumbo cable with those gold connectors that are so rad."

I was on the FCC website late on a Saturday night (what else would a 20 something be doing?) and was looking at FCC Cable System profiles. Systems are required to have have documents showing how signal leakage and interference is detected throughout their entire system. Comcast actually flies a plane back and forth in a grid with an RF receiver.

I was on the FCC website late on a Saturday night (what else would a 20 something be doing?) and was looking at FCC Cable System profiles. Systems are required to have have documents showing how signal leakage and interference is detected throughout their entire system. Comcast actually flies a plane back and forth in a grid with an RF receiver.

They also have hundreds of trucks equipped with leak detectors.

Way back when....

The interference was awful into the aero bands and VHF bands. Those older systems took years and years to clean up.

One of the worst cable tv systems was San Jose (Gill cable) that used 2 cables...and all of them leaked.

That SJ system was notorious and I'm sure there are plenty references on google just waiting for some "20 something" to peruse.

We don't want you to join a gang of video-thugs that roam the streets making predictions and smoking grass.

KNTV is still on Comcast Channel 3 in San Jose & throughout most of the Bay Area despite being NBC 11 for years now and KNTV traditionally being on Channel 11 prior to NBC's purchase of them.

My understanding was KNTV had long been on Channel 3 prior to its affiliation with NBC and subsequent purchase by NBC. Hence the decision to brand as NBC 3 for a period of time. Also, KNTV has not been known as NBC 11 since 2009. I think part of the problem was it was confusing to be known as NBC 11 while being on channel 3. Hence the branding change to NBC Bay Area.

My understanding was KNTV had long been on Channel 3 prior to its affiliation with NBC and subsequent purchase by NBC. Hence the decision to brand as NBC 3 for a period of time. Also, KNTV has not been known as NBC 11 since 2009. I think part of the problem was it was confusing to be known as NBC 11 while being on channel 3. Hence the branding change to NBC Bay Area.
See the photo in this 2002 article. KNTV used both Channels 3 & 11 on air at the same time. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/KNTV-s-poor-reception-Many-Bay-Area-viewers-2887035.php

The NFL has already crowned them champions so why not. One of the most arrogant and insufferable fanbases in all of professional sports...

As a Patriots fan, I must say that you're just jealous because the Patriots keep winning while your team cannot win draft picks.

See the photo in this 2002 article. KNTV used both Channels 3 & 11 on air at the same time. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/KNTV-s-poor-reception-Many-Bay-Area-viewers-2887035.php

Right... but they were known as NBC 3 at the time and were found on Channel 3 on most cable lineups. They were only OTA on 11.

Anyway, this situation is different than Boston’s because Comcast inherited the situation in the Bay Area, whereas they could’ve taken the initiative from the beginning in Boston and put the channel on 10 on those cable lineups.

Likely contractual obligations. What’s on channel 10 those systems?

In my case, it's WLVI. Probably not a station Comcast is going to want to bump in favor of WBTS.

For the record, here's channels 11-19:

11 NHPTV Explore (schedule-matched with WGBX)

12 WSBK

13 WYDN (Daystar)

14 Telemundo

17 WMFP (SBN...SonLife?)

19 NECN

15, 16, and 18 are all silent.

In my case, it's WLVI. Probably not a station Comcast is going to want to bump in favor of WBTS.

For the record, here's channels 11-19:

11 NHPTV Explore (schedule-matched with WGBX)

12 WSBK

13 WYDN (Daystar)

14 Telemundo

17 WMFP (SBN...SonLife?)

19 NECN

15, 16, and 18 are all silent.

Well if channel 5 and 7 are on those channels I could see why they’d place it in between. But the real thing should be the HD channel number.

Well if channel 5 and 7 are on those channels I could see why they’d place it in between. But the real thing should be the HD channel number.

Not sure if Comcast has started doing integrated HD. If you carry HD feed of channel or network and have HD STB you get HD feed of it and SD for SD only STB.

Thank goodness WYCN is now simulcasting NBC/using WGBX antenna equipment, because NBC through their Boston O&O will be able to feature the Patriots locally in the Super Bowl. This would of gotten very interesting had WYCN had not yet started simulcasting NBC yet.

Archived