WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

This is true. The last time I went to Providence/New Bedford was in 2014 and it was when Media General owned WJAR and LIN (remember them?) owned WPRI and WNAC. When I left, it was like just weeks later when WJAR became Sinclair with its new graphics while WPRI/WNAC was now a part of Nexstar.

Man, not to go too off topic, but my market has become a market of three evils between Citapuke (WLNE), Sincrap (WJAR) and Nexcheap (WPRI/WNAC).

It started with the Media General/LIN merger when they kept WPRI/WNAC and sent WJAR to Sinclair.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know about their online out of market live streaming efforts? I can’t find any page.

Also at this point imagine how long their TOTH legal IDs must be now.

Longtime reader, first time poster from the Boston area.

Their streaming efforts would be the same as all the other NBC O&Os in the other markets nationally.

For their TOTH legal ID, from when I watched this station, 4 out of 5 times when one should show, I saw absolutely nothing, and the few times I saw anything, it was in the smallest font allowed most likely, and off to the side of the screen.

We're only hours away from WYCN's switch to NBC Boston, yet there's no re-scan message on NBC Boston's website. There's an advisory posted on WYCN's website.

Has WMFP 60.5 signed off yet? Maybe that’s why there’s no advisory yet on NBC’s end, because a re-scan for that is inevitable.

This has taken yet another odd turn. WYCN apparently shut down this morning, but has not shown up on WGBX's signal. Posted today is an FCC request for a notification waiver to allow the channel sharing to proceed, even though there have been some delays in the sale "hopefully for only a few days".

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f9160e1af430161007728be622a

[quote name='rkolsen']Thanks. I kept getting a test page when searching for their live stream. Of course it doesn’t help that it isn’t highlighted on their website or app. Are all newscasts streamed or just NBC Boston Today?[/QUOTE] All newscasts. I tried it yesterday. Thanks to @CircleSeven by the way.

[quote name='USNewsie']All newscasts. I tried it yesterday. Thanks to @CircleSeven by the way.[/QUOTE] All NBC O&O's stream all weekday newscasts, with a link on their homepage. I just checked, for NBCBoston, there is a computer icon near the top, which shows the newscast being streamed live. You do not need to live within the coverage area to access it.

TitanTV, no doubt unaware of the delay with the channel sharing, is now listing NBC on 15.1 and Cozi on 15.2, both labeled "WYCN-CD."

I'm still curious to see the actual bandwidth and resolution.

As I said earlier in this thread, when the sale and sharing agreement was originally announced, that one the current streams currently on the WGBX stick moves to WFXZ, which has completed their move to the WGBH stick. Here's hoping that this is completed by February 4, Super Bowl LII.

As I said earlier in this thread, when the sale and sharing agreement was originally announced, that one the current streams currently on the WGBX stick moves to WFXZ, which has completed their move to the WGBH stick.

Yeah, but what resolution would NBC Boston and Cozi be in? 1080i? 720p? 480p? I'm assuming that this is 720p for both channels on that limited a spectrum.

Here's hoping that this is completed by February 4, Super Bowl LII.

Because the last thing we need are upset arrogant Patriots fans.

TitanTV, no doubt unaware of the delay with the channel sharing, is now listing NBC on 15.1 and Cozi on 15.2, both labeled "WYCN-CD."

I'm still curious to see the actual bandwidth and resolution.

Yeah, but what resolution would NBC Boston and Cozi be in? 1080i? 720p? 480p? I'm assuming that this is 720p for both channels on that limited a spectrum.

Because the last thing we need are upset arrogant Patriots fans.

Right now, without 15-x added, WGBX main is full HD 1080i 16x9. Their 2 subchannels, PBS Kids and Create, are 480p 16x9. So they can fit NBC/Boston on there in 720p (or maybe 1080i) and still squeeze Cozi in. On 60-5 (WMFP) NBC/Boston is 720p, but on WBTS-LD, its 1080i.

[quote name='USNewsie']All newscasts. I tried it yesterday. Thanks to @CircleSeven by the way.[/QUOTE] No luck for me. [quote name='NowBergen']All NBC O&O's stream all weekday newscasts, with a link on their homepage. I just checked, for NBCBoston, there is a computer icon near the top, which shows the newscast being streamed live. You do not need to live within the coverage area to access it.[/QUOTE] Keeps giving me an error.

WYCN is on air on 15.1 (NBC Boston) and 15.2 (Cozi) channel sharing on WGBX.

The sharing was added sometime after 4 PM. They squeezed them all in:

WGBX (main) 44-1 and WYCN-CD (NBC/Boston) 15-1 are both full 1080i

Cozi 15-2, Create 44-3, and PBS Kids 44-4 all at 480p

NBC/Boston is still on 60-5 (sharing on WMFP) - so right now, in the part of the Boston market mid-way between Needham and the NH border - NBC/Boston is available on 4 different channels on 4 separate transmitters: 8-1, 15-1, 60-2, and 60-5, not to mention cable 10 and 810....

With help, an email to NBC 10 Boston, I was finally able to locate the online streams of NBC 10 Boston's newscasts! Try these links:

NBC 10 Boston Today

NBC 10 Boston Now

NBC 10 Boston News at 4

NBC 10 Boston News at 5

NBC 10 Boston News at 6

NBC 10 Boston News at 7

NBC 10 Boston News at 11

Thank you so much. When I tried the computer icon on the website I kept getting an error for the NBC TVE service about it not being available in our area (xfinity logged on automatically).

Edit: None of the links are working for me. When I go to their live page I get:

2018-01-18.thumb.png.1afb4c0dcbf7607d65a5728b778547ba.png

The sharing was added sometime after 4 PM. They squeezed them all in:

WGBX (main) 44-1 and WYCN-CD (NBC/Boston) 15-1 are both full 1080i

Cozi 15-2, Create 44-3, and PBS Kids 44-4 all at 480p

NBC/Boston is still on 60-5 (sharing on WMFP) - so right now, in the part of the Boston market mid-way between Needham and the NH border - NBC/Boston is available on 4 different channels on 4 separate transmitters: 8-1, 15-1, 60-2, and 60-5, not to mention cable 10 and 810....

It's kinda funny that people, myself included, doubted that Comcast could find any frequency for NBC Boston after Ed Ansin spurred them. And they wound up with four, including a de facto full-market signal coming from Needham and covering the whole market... in 1080i. On a reasonable PSIP frequency of 15.

(And that's not counting the pending move of WNEU's tower to the Needham farm.)

It's kinda funny that people, myself included, doubted that Comcast could find any frequency for NBC Boston after Ed Ansin spurred them. And they wound up with four, including a de facto full-market signal coming from Needham and covering the whole market... in 1080i. On a reasonable PSIP frequency of 15.

(And that's not counting the pending move of WNEU's tower to the Needham farm.)

And while not statistically very important - it probably hasn't escaped Ansin's detailed notice that WGBX's master antenna location on the "CBS" tower is about 300 feet higher than WHDH's - which gives it a coverage area 10% larger - and that is also where WNEU is headed...

Thank you so much. When I tried the computer icon on the website I kept getting an error for the NBC TVE service about it not being available in our area (xfinity logged on automatically).

Edit: None of the links are working for me. When I go to their live page I get:

[ATTACH=full]5238[/ATTACH]

When I used the computer icon, it is the NBC streaming site connected to your cable service, so it brought up News4NY. Wnen I clicked your links above, I got NBC Boston.

NBC Boston has now updated the “Channel Finder” page on their website to reflect that the station is now (also) over-the-air on Channel 15:

https://www.nbcboston.com/contact-us/tv-listings/boston-channel-finder-400035841.html

They also posted a press release to their website, including a video where Phil Lipof announces “you can watch NBC10 Boston over the air on Channel 15.1”. Commence mass confusion!

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/NBC10-Boston-Announces-New-Over-the-Air-Channel-470114823.html

Archived