WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

Since the 10 refers to NBC Boston's primary cable position and not any OTA position, is it probable that the 10 will be the primary identifier regardless of the over the air location? Since the market has more than 95% cable & satellite penetration, that could be the thinking. It would be a total reversal of the one time tradition of identifying with a channel number, then leaving it up to cable viewers to figure out where they are. Since NBC Boston has no channel number history, they might feel this is their best option to identify who and where they are. Wherever they eventually land over the air might be irrelevant to them. If 95% of the market has cable, then they'll use that address and let the other 5% figure it out.

The possible issue they could eventually face would be if one or more major cable providers juggled line-ups and moved them to another channel. However cash and carriage agreements could prevent that.

ICYMI: KNSD in San Diego refers to itself as NBC 7, its cable position although they use PSIP 39 OTA, yet San Diego also has a high cable penetration rate.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ICYMI: KNSD in San Diego refers to itself as NBC 7, its cable position although they use PSIP 39 OTA, yet San Diego also has a high cable penetration rate.

That being said, 15 is not a horrible number. It’s not like, say, NBC 60 or CBS 62.

NBC 15 Boston would definitely have been workable as a unified brand. Yeah, it’s universally (heh) on cable 10, mostly for technical reasons described earlier, but... 15 resolves any OTA branding issues for those without cable and would create a unique brand for the station.

This actually reminds me of the failed “NBC 3” brand attempted by Granite once KNTV 11 took the San Francisco NBC affiliation... a stone’s throw from KCRA 3. Within a few months, NBC bought KNTV outright, and “NBC 3” became “NBC 11.”

That being said, 15 is not a horrible number. It’s not like, say, NBC 60 or CBS 62.

NBC 15 Boston would definitely have been workable as a unified brand. Yeah, it’s universally (heh) on cable 10, mostly for technical reasons described earlier, but... 15 resolves any OTA branding issues for those without cable and would create a unique brand for the station.

This actually reminds me of the failed “NBC 3” brand attempted by Granite once KNTV 11 took the San Francisco NBC affiliation... a stone’s throw from KCRA 3. Within a few months, NBC bought KNTV outright, and “NBC 3” became “NBC 11.”

I wonder how long the "NBC 10" brand will last. I have enclosed a link to the signal contours of WYCN, WJAR, and, to a lesser extent, WCBB. http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=2007415&map=N&contour=Y&lppc=N&int=N&pop=N&incpop=&excpop=&z1=N&nrqz=N&lprw=N&head=Y&asrn=&extras=2001794,+1297494&cir=&circen=

Also, I believe back in the day, WVIT was branded as "NBC 30" before becoming "NBC Connecticut," now "NBC CT."

This new logo for NBC Boston is HORRIBLE! Don’t they already know there’s another NBC 10 about forty miles away in Providence! This will certainly create confusion for viewers in SE Mass. If you use an antenna, you get WJAR on Ch. 10, but if you use cable, it’s NBC Boston on Ch. 10. Whereas for CBS, ABC, and FOX, they still advertise their OTA (virtual) channel numbers.

I wonder if this was done to piss off Bristol County MA residents, who are still stuck with an out-of-state NBC station.

This new logo for NBC Boston is HORRIBLE! Don’t they already know there’s another NBC 10 about forty miles away in Providence! This will certainly create confusion for viewers in SE Mass. If you use an antenna, you get WJAR on Ch. 10, but if you use cable, it’s NBC Boston on Ch. 10. Whereas for CBS, ABC, and FOX, they still advertise their OTA (virtual) channel numbers.

I wonder if this was done to piss off Bristol County MA residents, who are still stuck with an out-of-state NBC station.

I doubt it, it's to piss off Sinclair.

That new NBC 10 logo made me do one of those involuntary eye twitches. Good lord that looks awful.

Would it have been that hard to just take WCAU's existing NBC 10 logo, fix the unnecessary "NBC" text, and use that on both stations? (Then again, we have three different takes on the same "4"...)

EDIT: Saw the version on the website which uses the Olympic rings and thus separates the peacock from the "10". That version looks much better but it's still not great.

That new NBC 10 logo made me do one of those involuntary eye twitches. Good lord that looks awful.

Like I said:

That picture Georgie posted, jesus, is that supposed to be for smaller sizes? The serifs and terminals aren't sharp enough, the peacock is kinda blobby...

Just jack it up to "1500XD" or faceplant15.com...

Better yet..

I suggest you all start deciding on your station "symbol" and "signature audio wav."

Just like at cash registers at Mcdonalds...we will pick our channels and food by the little symbol or picture on the screen.

Channel selectors as we know them are goners. I predict they will be gone within 10 years or less.

Just little square pictures avatars that will be competing against all the other little square avatars on the little screen.

Those poor kids are doomed.

Happy News Year!

Wonder why the sudden switch all of a sudden? KNTV and WVIT both identify as NBC City/Area and no number. I’m inclined to think it’s because of low ratings.

On a side note, is KNTV still found on channel 3 in most cable lineups, or is it found on Channel 11 (it's OTA number)?

It's still on 3 for all cable systems. KCRA is still available on channel 23 on Comcast in Contra Costa County and probably places up north too.

The woman is Audrey Asistio.

Thanks. They looked familiar but I couldn’t tell

So WVIT was simulcasting First Night Boston. That’s a bit surprising as I would imagine most of their viewers would associate with New York.

Also when NECN simulcasts NBC Boston’s newscasts is it a straight simulcast with the same graphics and all or does NECN have a seperate package? I ask because I noticed that NECN’s lower thirds don’t go all the way across. The bugs probably easy as that’s likely inserted at master control.

Although I wish WBTS would have been rebranded as "NBC 8," I love the new "NBC 10," brand. The "10" part refers to the cable channel number.

All about that cable penetration!

Man that sounds dirty...

The transmitters of the Providence stations are in Bristol County, MA.

EDIT: Except one (two, rather): WPXQ/WLWC share a stick in Hopkinton, in southwestern Rhode Island.

Not exactly.[ATTACH=full]4976[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4977[/ATTACH]

Here's a gallery of the other logos of NBC Affiliates on channel 10 from across America! 146146821_160KTEN.png.592c2669682793f606d6527e89b0e700.png

Which one do you like best?

1. WAVY - Hampton Roads, VA - Nexstar

2. WJAR - Providence, RI - Sinclair

3. WBIR - Knoxville, TN - TEGNA

4. WSLS - Roanoke, VA - Graham

5. WHEC - Rochester, NY - Hubbard

6. WIS - Columbia, SC - Raycom

7. WILX - Central Lower Peninsula, MI - Gray

8. KTVE - El Dorado, AR - Mission/Nexstar

9. WALB - Albany, GA - Raycom

10. KTEN - Lake Texoma, OK/TX - Lockwood

1795810892_47WAVY.png.d635374c20f9244302abd107b9eaea99.png

223143687_52WJAR.png.4bf22519ce7f00f5702b13af10217dfe.png

821675865_61WBIR.png.d7369e6a185b3e910202a9697ada6ef2.png

304261863_70WSLS.thumb.png.2f7e88419d37ae867ee9fb2396e863ad.png

1440728815_76WHEC.png.6de19603e22b1d1dfaa090fd8587278e.png

852301936_115WILX.png.24ff8a590861160db9753526c6714022.png

1683166912_137KTVE.png.49f9ae7eab237cbca127dacb3d3936e6.png

1912913751_154WALB.thumb.png.7fde9808744f4fcf7ad02556715b3bf8.png

773930467_77WIS.thumb.png.a7b7f38daa8f5ca600da98dbebde55b0.png

Although I wish WBTS would have been rebranded as "NBC 8," I love the new "NBC 10," brand. The "10" part refers to the cable channel number.

The 8 (8.1) only applies to the current over the air signal of low power WBTS-LD 8.1. 8 can never be used on a full power station in Boston due to slight overlap with the Portland, ME market (their intent is to get WBTS on a full power station). Without repeating all of the gory details, they will eventually have to use either 15.1 or 60.x over the air. Phasing out the mention of 8 now is logical.

Archived