WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

To me it appears that January 16 will be when WYCN's license moves to WGBX's stick at RF 43 > 32 and will use PSIP 15. My best educated guess is that they chose PSIP 15 as to not interfere with WGME, Sinclair, also, RF 15 will be WGME's home once the repack is complete. I also wonder if this will be the date, January 16, when WMFP moves to WWDP's stick.

The info on the pending change was on WYCN's website.

They don't seem to have applied yet to the FCC to use 15. But that may be planned as the final permanent number for NBCBoston, with virtual 15.1 used first on WYCN until the WNEU transmitter is moved to Needham (assuming that is approved) and then moved to the WNEU signal, remaining virtual 15.1.

WGME can continue to use virtual 13.1 even though their real RF channel will move to 15.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The info on the pending change was on WYCN's website.

I only see the sale information posted, not the PSIP of 15 reassignment claim that is on the wiki article.

The PSIP of 15 makes perfect sense, I just want to see the details. And proof. Wiki editors can claim anything and everything, ya know.

They don't seem to have applied yet to the FCC to use 15. But that may be planned as the final permanent number for NBCBoston, with virtual 15.1 used first on WYCN until the WNEU transmitter is moved to Needham (assuming that is approved) and then moved to the WNEU signal, remaining virtual 15.1.

I really like the PSIP of 15 (if that is definitive). It's a unique, clean number with little chance of interference from adjacent markets. NBC Boston WBTS can hype up this new number all the way to the Super Bowl.

WNEU's signal is indeed movable, although would a facility switch between it and WYCN (WBTS) really be necessary? Or do 60.1 and 15.1 wind up on WNEU, with WYCN (WBTS) taking all of the 15.x and 60.x subs?

WGME can continue to use virtual 13.1 even though their real RF channel will move to 15.

In theory, 13.1 would have been workable for both signals, as there already existed an slight signal overlap between WYCN and WGME (where both signals are in fringe areas) that really would not have been changed with WYCN's move to Needham, so leaving 13 actually improves WGME's signal.

I really like the PSIP of 15 (if that is definitive). It's a unique, clean number with little chance of interference from adjacent markets. NBC Boston WBTS can hype up this new number all the way to the Super Bowl.

WNEU's signal is indeed movable, although would a facility switch between it and WYCN (WBTS) really be necessary? Or do 60.1 and 15.1 wind up on WNEU, with WYCN (WBTS) taking all of the 15.x and 60.x subs?

In theory, 13.1 would have been workable for both signals, as there already existed an slight signal overlap between WYCN and WGME (where both signals are in fringe areas) that really would not have been changed with WYCN's move to Needham, so leaving 13 actually improves WGME's signal.

WYCN will be shared on WGBX, and may be limited to 720p, and somewhat limited bandwidth, as 60.5 on WMFP is. WBTS-LD is 1080i. Once they move WNEU to Needham, a single WBTS 1080i using virtual 15.1 on the WNEU transmitter seems most logical. They may not want to continue to pay WGBX for bandwidth and could move WYCN (no longer carrying NBCBoston) to the WNEU transmitter, shut it down, or perhaps donate it to WGBH/WGBX.

Here's the official FCC filing for ch 15:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076ff3604b50a80160555d59d800cd

WYCN will be shared on WGBX, and may be limited to 720p, and somewhat limited bandwidth, as 60.5 on WMFP is. WBTS-LD is 1080i. Once they move WNEU to Needham, a single WBTS 1080i using virtual 15.1 on the WNEU transmitter seems most logical. They may not want to continue to pay WGBX for bandwidth and could move WYCN (no longer carrying NBCBoston) to the WNEU transmitter, shut it down, or perhaps donate it to WGBH/WGBX.

Here's the official FCC filing for ch 15:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076ff3604b50a80160555d59d800cd

Well if they get on their hands and knees...and beg real hard...maybe they will give them enough bandwidth for a black and white 4:3 picture with mono sound.

Ya know the "budget bargain, basement rate".

They can run "Sea Hunt", "Leave it to Beaver...and other B/W classics.

Commercials too!

That's basically what I've been saying for months. :cool:

That's basically what I've been saying for months. :cool:

It needs to be imperative that WBTS deliver a strong signal to Boston viewers on February 4, 2018 as there's still a strong possibility that the Patriots will be playing in Super Bowl LII. You cannot underestimate Kraft, Belichick, and Brady.

It needs to be imperative that WBTS deliver a strong signal to Boston viewers on February 4, 2018 as there's still a strong possibility that the Patriots will be playing in Super Bowl LII. You cannot underestimate Kraft, Belichick, and Brady.

It's the biggest TV event of the year. Plus there's a level of expediency with getting channel sharing and facility relocations up and running ASAP. The performance of the Patriots actually matters very little here.

NBC would be working quickly to get this set up regardless of the local team's performance on field. They would be doing this if the Patriots were on their way towards an 0-16 season with Jimmy Haslam as owner and if the team had 27 different starting QBs in the past 18 years.

Yup, you have. And you were 100% on the money.

It just makes me wonder why Comcast just didn't use 15 as the PSIP for WBTS all along.

I doubt they thought, at the time they chose ch 8, that if the station ever became full power, there would be overlap with ch. 8 in the Portland market. The original choice of 8 almost definitely was to get a virtual number grouped with the other network stations, right next to what was to become the former NBC affiliate, Ed Ansin's WHDH on ch. 7.

I doubt they thought, at the time they chose ch 8, that if the station ever became full power, there would be overlap with ch. 8 in the Portland market. The original choice of 8 almost definitely was to get a virtual number grouped with the other network stations, right next to what was to become the former NBC affiliate, Ed Ansin's WHDH on ch. 7.

It was clearly simply a stopgap move until a workable solution could be had... and that it was right next to WHDH was a bonus. The signal overlap with WMTW was unavoidable from the start.

Not only that, VC 8 in nearby Connecticut too (WTNH).

So apparently they updated their logo online. They're now NBC 10 Boston...

I'm guessing they hope a little WJAR magic rubs off, because that's the first thing I thought of when I saw it, too.

If I were a Sinclair exec, between this and Elko, I'd be fuming.

I'm guessing they hope a little WJAR magic rubs off, because that's the first thing I thought of when I saw it, too.

If I were a Sinclair exec, between this and Elko, I'd be fuming.

WBTS is moving to PSIP 15 in two weeks! They couldn’t wait until then to introduce a “NBC 15” logo? Of course, in order for that to work, NBC would probably use a logo close to WPMI’s and just piss off Sinclair even more.

Has 30 Rock declared war on Hunt Valley?

The logo looks similar to WJAR’s Someone may soon be hearing from Hunt Valley.

It’s very similar but a different font. I’m almost thinking the numbers maybe they maybe using the corporate font Rock. I never seen the numbers but the way the serif on the 1 and the 0 seem to my untrained typography eyes like it could be from the same font. It appears the font is online only so far.

I went to the WJAR website to see their Olympic version but it appears they don’t have one. When stations use their Olympic bug’s they have to have the peacock and the rings stacked and placed next to the number. With the Olympic logos many just seem to mash together especially if they use common font and number without any distinction.

Since the 10 refers to NBC Boston's primary cable position and not any OTA position, is it probable that the 10 will be the primary identifier regardless of the over the air location? Since the market has more than 95% cable & satellite penetration, that could be the thinking. It would be a total reversal of the one time tradition of identifying with a channel number, then leaving it up to cable viewers to figure out where they are. Since NBC Boston has no channel number history, they might feel this is their best option to identify who and where they are. Wherever they eventually land over the air might be irrelevant to them. If 95% of the market has cable, then they'll use that address and let the other 5% figure it out.

The possible issue they could eventually face would be if one or more major cable providers juggled line-ups and moved them to another channel. However cash and carriage agreements could prevent that.

WJAR's logo goes back to when they were owned by NBC and was a duplicate of NBC O&O WCAU (Philadelphia). Sinclair has modified it slightly once they bought the station :( from Media General/Nexstar. The logo on the NBCBoston website uses a different font for the 10 and, like WCAU, moved the peacock logo to the left, rather than the right in old WCAU/WJAR logos. Note WNBC, WMAQ, KNBC etc. have retained the peacock logo to the right of the numeral. Sinclair would have no cause for a lawsuit or even an attorney's letter other than showing what a crappy company they are. And if NBC was going to use PSP 15, then I would think they would have waited.

Wonder why the sudden switch all of a sudden? KNTV and WVIT both identify as NBC City/Area and no number. I’m inclined to think it’s because of low ratings.

On a side note, is KNTV still found on channel 3 in most cable lineups, or is it found on Channel 11 (it's OTA number)?

Archived