WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

WMTW broadcasts from a greater height and has a larger coverage area than WGME, which would result in much greater overlap. As shown on this RabbitEars map, the overlap between WYCN/WGBX and WMTW would extend into Manchester, NH and a part of Northeast Massachusetts.

WMTW’s transmitter used to be on top of Mount Washington Back In The Day. It moved down into Maine proper when digital transmissions began.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’m waiting for when and if the FCC starts treating these Class A station’s that are now channel sharing with full power stations as a full power station. They could make more money for the “upgrade”.

But what about already full-power stations that's about to channel share with a class-A low power and that class-A is a "host" station? You're going turn those full-powers into low-powers and give up their must-carry status?

WWTO is about to channel share with a class-A low power and that class-A is the host.

But what about already full-power stations that's about to channel share with a class-A low power and that class-A is a "host" station? You're going turn those full-powers into low-powers and give up their must-carry status?

WWTO is about to channel share with a class-A low power and that class-A is the host.

Did anyone at the FCC not realize that this loophole was possible when the concept of channel sharing was introduced?

Here's WGBX's map. And here's a map for all stations using PSIP 3. WCAX won't get in the way, but WFSB will ... especially in Worcester.

But HERE'S the map for all stations using PSIP 13. Looking at WGBX's map side-by-side, the only overlap I can detect with WGME will be in Portsmouth NH... and that overlap already exists with WYCN in its current form as an LP.

By my naked eye, Comcast may legitimately have a shot at NBC on a "full-power" OTA signal in Boston by "buying" "into" WGBX. And in time for the Super Bowl.

Damn. That shark was onto something...

NBC may need to have something in place by the Super Bowl as a certain team that plays in the area could be one of the participants. Also, the Winter Olympics are shortly thereafter.

Looking at the map of WGBX and WGME, the overlap area appears to be relatively small enough that they could get by with it. The overlap also appears to be mostly in the Boston DMA, where it probably wouldn't cause that much of an issue since most probably watch CBS on WBZ.

However, in the event Sinclair did complain about it, a virtual channel close to VHF (like 14 or 15) could be doable.

That's what America need now, a pissed off Sinclair, WBTS has to use PSIP 8 and cable 10 as there would be overlap with WJAR, and may move to PSIP 13 with some overlap with WGME. I wonder what Hunt Valley is thinking.

This thread has 857 posts (not including this one) on a topic that seems to incite more moral outrage than almost any other. Maybe it's because NBC didn't do a Twitter Poll before they launched the station. There is plenty of speculation and attitude with an occasional dollop of pious indignation. The time stamps are from every day of the week, every hour of the day or night with a small group of relentless diehards trying to shout louder than anyone else. Doesn't anybody ever stop for dinner or an occasional rerun of Friends?

I really think you should turn off your computers and go outside to play.

That's what America need now, a pissed off Sinclair, WBTS has to use PSIP 8 and cable 10 as there would be overlap with WJAR, and may move to PSIP 13 with some overlap with WGME. I wonder what Hunt Valley is thinking.

Cable channel positioning for WBTS is because of external factors and doesn't have anything to do with covering up WJAR.

WYCN's overlap with WGME already exists in its current form, and is entirely in the Boston DMA... not Portland. And that signal overlap isn't changing at all once it moved to WGBX's spectrum.

There's little for Sinclair to get justifiably angry at. And even if they think about rattling sabers with Comcast... the nation's largest telecom provider, by far...

NBC may need to have something in place by the Super Bowl as a certain team that plays in the area could be one of the participants.

Ha. At the rate they're going, we'll have to see. Although (and saying this as a Bills fan, living in Atlanta at that), never count that QB of theirs out.

Still, going to be a lot of upset people if NBC can't figure something out if the Patriots do end up there.

Ha. At the rate they're going, we'll have to see. Although (and saying this as a Bills fan, living in Atlanta at that), never count that QB of theirs out.

Still, going to be a lot of upset people if NBC can't figure something out if the Patriots do end up there.

This CSA is totally dependent on Comcast closing the deal with OTA to buy out WYCN's license. Once the ink dries, that signal immediately can re-launch on WGBX's spectrum.

The only stumbling block might -- MIGHT -- be New Hampshire pols raising a stink to the deal. But how much of WYCN's current programming is unique and not H&I? And is it not something that WNEU 60 could run on a sub, if needed/pressured? I would assume a resolution to that has already been in the works for weeks/months while Comcast was negotiating with OTA and New Hampshire 1.

But bottom line: this relaunch of NBC Boston WBTS on this newly-acquired signal will happen much more quickly than we think.

So WYCN would channel share with WGBX rf 43 (on their present channel)? Presumably, WGBX can't move to their post-repack channel 32, until 2020, when it's vacated by WBPX. The rabbit ears dot info listings show all channel sharing stations in their post repack designations, including for ones like WBIN and WLWC which have already occurred. Note: Since WLWC has already vacated rf 22, could WBPX move early to 22, freeing up 32 for WGBX?

Cable channel positioning for WBTS is because of external factors and doesn't have anything to do with covering up WJAR.

WYCN's overlap with WGME already exists in its current form, and is entirely in the Boston DMA... not Portland. And that signal overlap isn't changing at all once it moved to WGBX's spectrum.

There's little for Sinclair to get justifiably angry at. And even if they think about rattling sabers with Comcast... the nation's largest telecom provider, by far...

Sinclair and Comcast need each other.

That's fine, Bostonians can take a weekend getaway to one the fine ski areas in Maine, Sunday River, Sugarloaf USA, and watch the Super Bowl on WCSH.

So WYCN would channel share with WGBX rf 43 (on their present channel)? Presumably, WGBX can't move to their post-repack channel 32, until 2020, when it's vacated by WBPX. The rabbit ears dot info listings show all channel sharing stations in their post repack designations, including for ones like WBIN and WLWC which have already occurred. Note: Since WLWC has already vacated rf 22, could WBPX move early to 22, freeing up 32 for WGBX?

WYCN can share with WGBX on 43. There are a number of other changes ahead for WGBX, WGBH, WBZ, WCVB, WFXT, and WSBK before they change channels. Wading through the 399 forms shows that WFXT will move from the "candelabra" tower to the "CBS" tower while a new master is installed. Then they will all move to the candelabra tower, while a new master is installed on the CBS tower, after which most will move back there and at that point to their new channels.

I mean NBC should’ve just had NBC:B on WNEU’s transmitter in the first place and put NEU as a sub. I mean that makes the most sense. Last time I checked only about 22.3% of the population in New England were Spanish speakers.

You know they couldn’t because of WNEU having massive overlap with WMTW, right?

However, this WYCN purchase is important because NBC now will have the rights to 13 and can use it for the market. 8 was a band-aid solution. 13 is permanent.

However, this WYCN purchase is important because NBC now will have the rights to 13 and can use it for the market. 8 was a band-aid solution. 13 is permanent.

I’m confused. I thought WBTS was already broadcast on WNEU 60.2?

I’m confused. I thought WBTS was already broadcast on WNEU 60.2?

It is, and also in standard def on WMFP 60.5. (WBTS 8.2 also runs WNEU's Telemundo Boston programming.) WBTS and WNEU run the same subchannels, just in a different order.

In theory, PSIP 60 is available to cover the entire Boston market. That WNEU hasn't been moved in to Needham (or close to Needham) has to be a more a case of aftereffects from the spectrum auction and repack than anything else. But the WMFP subchannel proved it could be a thing.

It is, and also in standard def on WMFP 60.5. (WBTS 8.2 also runs WNEU's Telemundo Boston programming.) WBTS and WNEU run the same subchannels, just in a different order.

In theory, PSIP 60 is available to cover the entire Boston market. That WNEU hasn't been moved in to Needham (or close to Needham) has to be a more a case of aftereffects from the spectrum auction and repack than anything else. But the WMFP subchannel proved it could be a thing.

I was referring to you saying they couldn’t do that because of the overlap with WMTW.

Woops. Forgot about that.

Here's my prediction of what the line up will be when the dust settles:

Broadcasting from RF 43 > 32

WYCN

13.1: NBC Boston 1080i HD

13.2: COZI TV (SD)

WGBX:

44.1: Create

44.2: PBS Kids

Broadcasting from RF 19 > 5

WGBH

2.1: PBS

2.2: World Channel