WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

NBC Boston needs a Number next to their bug to show where their main station is like "NBC 8 Boston". a lot of people say its confusing to where they are on. perhaps at least show an ID showing where they can be watched. KNTV does it.

Because of the spectrum auction, they're stuck with WNEU, their low-power repeater, and leasing a subchannel from WMFP. That's why they advertise as "NBC Boston" when NYC and DC goes by "NBC4" and Philly (and Providence, although no longer an O&O) goes by "NBC10".

Eventually they will get a single full-power station that (hopefully) transmits from one of the Needham towers. They won't be able to use virtual channel 8 when the time comes, however, because it would overlap with other existing "Channel 8's" - WTNH in New Haven and WMTW in Portland, ME.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because of the spectrum auction, they're stuck with WNEU, their low-power repeater, and leasing a subchannel from WMFP. That's why they advertise as "NBC Boston" when NYC and DC goes by "NBC4" and Philly (and Providence, although no longer an O&O) goes by "NBC10".

Eventually they will get a single full-power station that (hopefully) transmits from one of the Needham towers. They won't be able to use virtual channel 8 when the time comes, however, because it would overlap with other existing "Channel 8's" - WTNH in New Haven and WMTW in Portland, ME.

NBC does use NBC Connecticut for WVIT, NBC San Diego, NBC Bay Area as their station identifiers in those markets, so it is consistent with other O&Os. I think everyone needs to give WBTS a little time as they no doubt will continue to tinker (WNBC did this with the launch of the new graphics, eliminating the top white bar during the newscast) as well as the issues with spectrum. The news product I saw online is fine, similar to other NBC O&Os, and like NY, will focus more on investigations than other stations. Just give it time. Like any anchor changes on any channel, it takes time to get used to the new person, in this case the new team. At some point, when the spectrum situation is fixed, I'm sure you will see changes to what OTA signals will be used for the what, 2-5% of the DMA that isn't using cable or satellite. I'm sure NBC had hoped Ansin would eventually agree to a sale, he didn't (and will probably regret it - how many repeats of Family Feud can a person tolerate?). Remember, he bought WLVI as a defensive strategy to prevent NBC buying WLVI and was aware for years NBC desired to own their own station in Boston.

Like a full screen graphic or legal TOTH IDs that are text/small image overlayed on top of programming.

The closest I've seen to this is during Sunday Night Football on 1/1 they displayed "WBTS-LD Boston" and "WMFP Boston/Lawrence" at the bottom in small letters for like 15ish minutes.

I'm sure NBC had hoped Ansin would eventually agree to a sale, he didn't (and will probably regret it - how many repeats of Family Feud can a person tolerate?). Remember, he bought WLVI as a defensive strategy to prevent NBC buying WLVI and was aware for years NBC desired to own their own station in Boston.

I'm sorry, but THAT part is absolute conjecture.

Yes, it's probable back in 2006 that NBC wanted a Boston O&O, but they were in cutback mode at THAT specific point in time. Moreover, Tribune wanted out immediately of Boston, and NBC was not going to buy a station set with a long-term CW affiliation deal (and damned if Ansin would let WHDH out of their contact early... AGAIN).

Ed Ansin bought WLVI in 2006 so as to set up a duopoly, not to prevent NBC from buying a station 11 years later. Let's just stop with assuming this ridiculous supposition as fact, please?

Ed Ansin is a rebel, not a freaking clairvoyant.

Yes, it's probable back in 2006 that NBC wanted a Boston O&O, but they were in cutback mode at THAT specific point in time. Moreover, Tribune wanted out immediately of Boston, and NBC was not going to buy a station set with a long-term CW affiliation deal (and damned if Ansin would let WHDH out of their contact early... AGAIN).

Ed Ansin bought WLVI in 2006 so as to set up a duopoly, not to prevent NBC from buying a station 11 years later. Let's just stop with assuming this ridiculous supposition as fact, please?

I get what you're saying, but I think you owe NowBergen an apology. From Scott Fybush's NERW, September 18, 2006:

Boston is the largest market where NBC doesn't own its affiliate, and for the last few months, there's been a growing buzz that the network wants to change that. Since Ansin's not selling, the rumor mill quickly settled on Tribune's struggling WLVI (Channel 56), the WB-turned-CW affiliate whose "Ten O'Clock News" was once the premiere prime-time newscast in the market. The growth of Fox's WFXT over the last few years has damaged WLVI's ratings, and Tribune has made no secret about its desire to sell some of its weaker outlets. (It's already parted with stations in Atlanta and Albany.)

With NBC openly sniffing around the market, and Ansin in danger of losing the lucrative affiliation, the next step was obvious: Ansin announced last week that he'll pay Tribune $113.7 million to bring WLVI under the Sunbeam umbrella. (Tribune paid $25 million when it bought WLVI from Gannett in 1994.)

Ansin 100% bought WLVI to block NBC from doing same. This is not conjecture.

Gayle Fee and her probably fake news was the tipping point, especially given the bargain prices Tribune sold WATL and WEWB (WCWN) for at the same time. Especially in hindsight that those two ended up in better places under succeeding ownership than WLVI did or ever would have. I think that if that rumor never surfaces, the sale price is a lot less, possibly Hearst gets in there with a waiver to attempt to have three stations given WMUR's unique position and beats Sunbeam to the punch. Perhaps Tribune holds onto it and we end up with them going down the WPHL/WDCW/WSFL/KDAF/KIAH path which is only a bit better than they are now. The Ten O'Clock News maybe makes it to 2010 or so and the station gets caught up in NewsFix or whatever.

There are so many what-ifs here that it would make a good Speculatron post.

Rumor alert: A little birdie told me that Cox may be about to bail on WFXT, possibly through a trade with Fox for KRIV/Houston. But would Fox want WFXT back after what Cox did to it and the much more competitive landscape?

If Comcast wants to buy WFXT....instant duopoly with WNEU! WBTS being low-powered makes it irrelevant in the eyes of the FCC.

And WHDH could use a network affiliation if "NBC 25" becomes a reality...

The question is IF such a deal would happen...would NBC go for any of the non-license assets or merely use WFXT as a full-powered stick for NBC Boston...

Rumor alert: A little birdie told me that Cox may be about to bail on WFXT, possibly through a trade with Fox for KRIV/Houston. But would Fox want WFXT back after what Cox did to it and the much more competitive landscape?

So when the going gets tough after a couple of years they just want to sell the station and give up on it? Please, Cox is better than that.

If Comcast wants to buy WFXT....instant duopoly with WNEU! WBTS being low-powered makes it irrelevant in the eyes of the FCC.

And WHDH could use a network affiliation if "NBC 25" becomes a reality...

The question is IF such a deal would happen...would NBC go for any of the non-license assets or merely use WFXT as a full-powered stick for NBC Boston...

No, such a deal will not happen.

So when the going gets tough after a couple of years they just want to sell the station and give up on it? Please, Cox is better than that.

How will the going get any easier for them?

WFXT is now to Cox what KRON is to NexStar/MG, KDNL is to S!nclair and what WGCL is to Meredith. Their incompetence will drive WFXT into the ratings basement and establish WHDH as a dynamo in mornings and 10pm.

That trade, though, is wishful thinking.

WFXT is now to Cox what KRON is to NexStar/MG, KDNL is to S!nclair and what WGCL is to Meredith. Their incompetence will drive WFXT into the ratings basement and establish WHDH as a dynamo in mornings and 10pm.

That trade, though, is wishful thinking.

I think that's wildly overstating it. WFXT's news department merely suffered from a poorly-executed repositioning strategy from a bad management team at the same time it changed ownership. That's something that Cox can easily recover from. WFXT is still a major network affiliate in a major market. This situation is common and nowhere close to approaching KRON or KDNL. Any talk of Cox selling WFXT or shutting down the news department makes no sense. Despite losing marketshare and declining ratings, the station is still making money.

I think that's wildly overstating it. WFXT's news department merely suffered from a poorly-executed repositioning strategy from a bad management team at the same time it changed ownership. That's something that Cox can easily recover from. WFXT is still a major network affiliate in a major market. This situation is common and nowhere close to approaching KRON or KDNL. Any talk of Cox selling WFXT or shutting down the news department makes no sense. Despite losing marketshare and declining ratings, the station is still making money.

THANK YOU. This site absolutely needs more common sense posts like this.

When WFXT starts having layoffs, then feel free to drum up some more bullshit speculation.

I don't see NBC puchasing it at this point. The cost on the channel would be high. I don't see cox just selling the channel itself and not the building staff etc. that would be a Pr nightmare with that many people without jobs. But whdh would become a fox station again

Archived