WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

Just caught a bit of their live stream and they need to figure out how to put up a slate or at the very least turn off the anchors mics during the commercial break. You could hear them trying to figure out someones phone number. The anchors weren't on screen but the camera was directed to the stage.

I thought their stream was inoperative; I had to resort to using IE to stream it. Very rough. On the basis of this amateurish presentation, it doesn't appear that WHDH has much to worry about.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NBC Boston just updated its Facebook cover photo - it now indicates that Charter will carry the station on Channels 10 (SD) and 787 (HD). I'm guessing Spectrum and NBCUniversal just reached a new contract agreement not only for NBC Boston, but for all of its stations, including E!, Bravo, NBCSN, etc..

Not yet; they've extended talks so they won't affect tomorrow night in any way (and both Charter and NBC have been HORRID at making clear that NBC affiliates will not be blacked out), though maybe they've done a side-deal to get NBCB launched without a problem for now; it's such a small problem with such a small base that it was probably easier to just get that done on the side than later on.

So how classic is this? NBC has even set-up a toll-free hotline for the confused folks that can't find the new channel.

1-855-NBC-BOSTON (622-2678)

Hotline was also a thing when 1995's big switch occured.

Philadephia: http://articles.mcall.com/1995-09-07/features/3046302_1_cbs-eye-nbc-peacock-affiliate-switch

Baltimore:

Wonder if WHDH might make a play for New England Revolution TV rights

Their primary media connection seems to be with Les Moonves and CBS. 98.5 The Sports Hub has the radio rights to the Pats and is the flagship of the Patriots Radio Network, WBZ-TV is the flagship of the preseason Pats TV network, CBS holds the broadcast TV rights to the AFC, and the CBS Scene restaurant is located at Patriot Place in Foxboro. The Sports Hub has the radio rights to the Revolution as well. If the rights went to broadcast TV, I think WSBK would have first dibs. But really, how much of a draw are the Revs?

Better yet, strike a deal with NESN to carry some Red Sox and Bruins games.

Why would a network like NESN that extracts substantial fees from cable and satellite operators want to put Red Sox and Bruins games on free TV?

Why would a network like NESN that extracts substantial fees from cable and satellite operators want to put Red Sox and Bruins games on free TV?

Fox SportsTime Ohio has 20 of their Cleveland Indians telecasts simulcast on WKYC. It does happen.

Because the games are usually simulcast on both stations where NESN gets extra money for a game they'd be producing anyway. At least here in Baltimore some of the ads that MASN airs are aired on WJZ (WJZ) so they'd be able to charge more. Finally it serves as an advertisement for the rest of their package and channel (assuming it's a straight simulcast).

Not sure if anyone else has pointed this out, but it's cute that NBCBoston.com has an FAQ tab at the top with 15 questions that have been reputedly asked frequently, though it's missing the one that will be asked the most today by most people — "why the hell is this happening?" And Bostonians would phrase it that way too, give or take an f-word or three.

The set looks good with the expansive video wall. They have another small vertical LED wall to the right of the desk showing three different maps and perpendicular to that is another wall like WNBC has for Weather. They kept the 6x3 monitor wall in another corner from the prior NECN set.

Some set photos:

[MEDIA=twitter]815509203611713536[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]815508358119694336[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]815506291271626752[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]815505165247807488[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]815504897210798081[/MEDIA]

I'm not sure if you noticed but it looks that they commissioned a custom theme. When I first heard it I thought it was 615's "The Tower".

It was chock full of chimes wasnt it? I guess they want to reinforce it and match their promotional branding as "Same chimes new channel".

It was chock full of chimes wasnt it? I guess they want to reinforce it and match their promotional branding as "Same chimes new channel".

It wouldn't surprise me if the theme is named "A Mouthful of Peacocks and NBC Chimes everywhere!"

Comcast has already removed the peacock from Channels 7/807 in its X1 guide. Verizon, however, still has the peacock next to Channels 7/507 (this is on the Fios mobile app), with Channels 16 and 516 simply listed as "WBTS" and "WBTS HD".

When I get back home tomorrow I'll check the guide on my Verizon Fios DVR. Side note - the one NBC show that I regularly record (Superstore) is still in my list of "scheduled recordings" (on Ch. 516), so that's a bit of a relief.

Comcast has already removed the peacock from Channels 7/807 in its X1 guide.

I spoke prematurely. The Xfinity TV app removed the Peacock from Chs. 7/807, but the actual X1 guide on a TV set at the place I'm at right now still shows the NBC logo next to these channels. How many people will get confused from this?

Is it just me or is their live stream a rehearsal of graphics? Literally nobody on set or speaking, only the SFX of graphics and "tossing" it over to reporters, some missing...

uqz8ang89lnrljnzg.jpg

I'm not the only one who noticed the graphics rehearsal.

Screenshot_2017-01-01-10-40-19.png.55c2b23b0b09eb6de517552d8af6596f.png

Archived