WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will NBC Boston use a station ID along the lines of their call letters, WBTS, or channel 8, their virtual (PSIP) over air channel # ? Unlike WBIN 50, who is known as channel 18, their # on many cable systems, NBC Boston is on many different #'s depending on the cable carrier.

No, I think just NBC Boston.

No, I think just NBC Boston.

I assume they mean the legal ID for the FCC; that'll probably either in-show mouse type along the bottom of the screen with the trimulcast calls/cities of license or a news promo with the same mouse type. I don't expect repeating "WBTS 8"'s in the background of news graphics though.

I assume they mean the legal ID for the FCC; that'll probably either in-show mouse type along the bottom of the screen with the trimulcast calls/cities of license or a news promo with the same mouse type. I don't expect repeating "WBTS 8"'s in the background of news graphics though.

The legal ID is pretty straightforward:

WBTS-LD 8.1 Boston

WNEU 60.2 Merrimack NH

WMFP 60.5 Lawrence

Well technically that's not true because I have Verizon and they still carry NECN. But I do agree with your larger point that it feels redundant in a time where local news in the market is so competitive.

Somewhere I read that NECN is going to focus on all of New England while WBTS will focus on Greater Boston (ie like the other three broadcast channels).

NECN has been dropped from the basic tier of some Spectrum cable systems, so perhaps they are reading the tea leaves (or else this is an example of them playing hardball in their dispute with NBCU.) One of their Portland, ME bureau reporters has a NBCBoston Twitter handle - make of that what you will.

It will be interesting to see if WBZ picks up any viewers

I don't see how WBZ is better positioned to pick up viewers over WCVB or WFXT honestly. Any viewers WHDH loses will probably be spread out over the remaining local channels.

I don't see how WBZ is better positioned to pick up viewers over WCVB or WFXT honestly. Any viewers WHDH loses will probably be spread out over the remaining local channels.

Given the reverse Midas touch Cox has had with WFXT, I would NOT rule out WHDH in morning drive.

Given the reverse Midas touch Cox has had with WFXT, I would NOT rule out WHDH in morning drive.

I think WHDH will have more viewers than WFXT from 7-9 AM. Personally, I can't see Boston supporting 5 local news outlets. WFXT will probably fold up within the next few years, and WHDH will acquire the Fox affiliation (even if it means losing a 9 PM news, although time will tell if they are successful competing against ABC/CBS/Fox prime time).

I think WHDH will have more viewers than WFXT from 7-9 AM. Personally, I can't see Boston supporting 5 local news outlets. WFXT will probably fold up within the next few years, and WHDH will acquire the Fox affiliation (even if it means losing a 9 PM news, although time will tell if they are successful competing against ABC/CBS/Fox prime time).

Although it doesn't matter as much these days, it'd be a nice feather in Fox's cap to get another (virtual) VHF affiliate in top-ten market.

Had WFXT remained in Fox control or not installed management intent on reinventing the wheel, WHDH would be in a perilous position. Instead they could be poised to dominate in mornings (especially post-7am) and at 10pm (with the WLVI simulcast).

Unless the station starts bleeding money left and right, I don't think that WFXT will fold up shop. But any other unnecessary tinkering (like a rebrand from "Fox 25") could put them in a world of hurt, so much so that NBC Boston scoots past them in early evening and 11pm...

If San Diego can support six, then Boston can certainly support five.

In San Diego news operations are like our surfboards...

*One is your regular daily rider, dependable for most surf. KFMB-8

*Next to that is your long board made out of wood that is heavy and lunky...it looks ok for it's age. The ride is bland .. not too exciting. KNSD-39/7

* The next 2 boards are your Baja Boards..2 ratty but fiesty riders...expect one to get stolen in Mexico. KBNT and that Telemundo station.

*You also have The Not Board...

That is the surfboard your high school girlfriend gave you for Christmas 1983. It was a pretty cool board at the time, sexy ride...nice lines...but over the years it got fat, ugly and cheap...just like her. You only ride it out of guilt, and to see what stupid tricks you can still get away with while drunk. KGTV-10 Scripps

*Then you have your Hand Made, Hand Me Down. ..

It's the board you got from your moms first boyfriend after the divorce. You two smoked pot together, and he always bought you beer for your friends. KUSI /John Coleman

*Also there is that broken board that corner of you room that used to be cool...until it flew off your car and got run over by some asshole in a landscaping truck. Say-La-Vie...bitches... CW6 XETV

* Crissy...

Naming a surfboard is real personal. I used to love riding Crissy...she was hot, hip, wild and we learned some great moves together. But then Crissy got married and moved to the suburbs to hang out with a bunch of soccer mommies. I saw her a few years ago, and she made me take off my shoes when I went in her house. Her friends Kathleen and Barbara Lee made some cupcakes and we drank white wine. I wanted to have sex with all three but they all had to leave for carpool. KSWB-FOX

If San Diego can support six, then Boston can certainly support five. Then again, Detroit and St. Louis can't support four...

Boston has already been supporting five news departments if NECN is counted as one. NBC Boston, Telemundo Boston and NECN are pretty much one and the same.

In San Diego news operations are like our surfboards...

Those descriptions are bang on lol.

Regarding Canadian viewers of the Boston stations, one of them (Telus) is outright replacing WHDH with NBC Boston at 1 AM MT.

NBC Boston just updated its Facebook cover photo - it now indicates that Charter will carry the station on Channels 10 (SD) and 787 (HD). I'm guessing Spectrum and NBCUniversal just reached a new contract agreement not only for NBC Boston, but for all of its stations, including E!, Bravo, NBCSN, etc.

Also of note - the only pay TV providers not carrying the station within the Boston DMA are Argent Communications (southwest New Hampshire), and Duncan Cable in Vermont. Looks like at least 95% of the market will have NBC tomorrow.

NBC Boston just updated its Facebook cover photo - it now indicates that Charter will carry the station on Channels 10 (SD) and 787 (HD). I'm guessing Spectrum and NBCUniversal just reached a new contract agreement not only for NBC Boston, but for all of its stations, including E!, Bravo, NBCSN, etc.

Also of note - the only pay TV providers not carrying the station within the Boston DMA are Argent Communications (southwest New Hampshire), and Duncan Cable in Vermont. Looks like at least 95% of the market will have NBC tomorrow.

Also via NBCBoston.com.

And a follow-up on that, Here's Leung's piece NBC preps on Sunday's O&O launch.

What's shown of the studio looks impressive. I like the large LED wall that's being fed by a 4K camera - but is the wall anywhere near that resolution? Using the Leyard calculator 4K resolution would require a wall 27 feet wide by 17.8 feet tall.

One of a kind nbc boston Ice sculpture just unveiled at Copley Plaza

[MEDIA=twitter]815327210328518656[/MEDIA]

Duncan is the far western fringe of the market and doesn't even carry WCVB (the sole ABC they have is WTEN) so they'll be fine as they carry WNNE and any antenna in their area can get WNYT just fine.

Argent is in a similar boat. Some of their headends are screwed but an antenna could get WNEU or WNNE fine and at least one system has WNNE.

Just caught a bit of their live stream and they need to figure out how to put up a slate or at the very least turn off the anchors mics during the commercial break. You could hear them trying to figure out someones phone number. The anchors weren't on screen but the camera was directed to the stage.

Archived