WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's 62.5. WNEU's PSIP is 60.

1080i or 720p?

WMFP is channel 62, NBC Boston will broadcast on .5, but will be mapped to channel 60.5. I don't know whether they will broadcast in 1080i or 720p - NBC Boston and Telemundo Boston both currently broadcast in 1080i on WNEU and WBTS - SonLife broadcasts in 720p on WMFP 62.1.

Could you add WMTW's coverage map for kicks and giggles, especially with the level of overlap between WMTW and WBTS?

This story is interesting:

FOX 25 News to Ditch 'FOX' Branding

Cox Media Group is planning on re-branding the newscasts for WFXT FOX 25 in its latest attempt at fixing the image of the struggling station.

http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local/boston/fox-25-news-to-ditch-fox-branding.html

Could Cox put WFXT out of its misery and sell it to NBC? Where would FOX go? WHDH?

Well, an update to the saga. TV Spy is reporting that NBC has reached an agreement with WMFP to act as a Translator for WBTS.

Why didn't NBC do this to begin with? WMFP, provides the same coverage that WHDH does, and would have avoided some of the negative press that NBC had gotten.

First, I think it's fairly safe to say (In my opinion at least) that the NBC/WHDH split leaked vary early on. Remember vary early on the rumors were NBC was moving the affiliation to NECN and going cable only. NBC likely had a plan (or, plans) and at least a rough outline then but nothing firm or finalized yet. They were kind of forced into acknowledging the shift way earlier than they likely anticipated because info was being leaked and some of it was incorrect (ie: moving to NECN) and needed to be refuted. So, they we're all ready behind the 8 ball from the start with regards to the negative press due to the erroneous info and having to comment before anything was finalized...plus, it's Comcast and some people have an negative view to start with.

Second, I think the plan all along has been to get "NBC Boston" on a second full power stick one way or another. The incentive auction was slow to get started. Remember its start was pushed back on a couple occasions. And, now that it is under way it has labored along with likely a couple more months (at least) to go. That hampers their ability to really do anything while it is on going. I'm sure when they made the decision a year or two ago go O&O in Boston the timing looked good. But, the timing didn't go their way.

So the long-term plan, it sounds like, is that through this spectrum auction (which NBC insists is their cure-all) they acquire a full-power station, shift their license to that station, and it stays, presumably WBTS? All this because they didn't wanna pony up to Eddy A.

Isn't it pretty much on record at this point they did offer to buy WHDH for $200M (or, there about) and Ed's asking price was extremely high ($500M)? Why would they overpay like that when all they need is a transmitter? It will all work out for them in the end so there's no need to waste money.

FWIW, I'll go on record now...I believe NBC will buy WMFP post-auction. The money being offered to WMFP likey fall below what NBC was offering pre-auction. NRJ isn't in business to run stations long term they bought them to flip for a profit. Given how the auction is playing out, flipping the station/transmitter to NBC post-auction might be more profitable.

There's a similar setup in Springfield MO, where FOX affiliate KRBK leases a subchannel on Daystar's KWBM to cover more of the market.

Since the main KRBK signal misses Springfield itself, KWBM leases its second digital channel to KRBK in order to provide coverage of the main portion of the market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRBK#Transmitters

The subcarrier remaps to KRBK's channel 49 via PSIP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KWBM#Digital_programming

Unless WFXT is bleeding money left and right, why would Cox sell?

That being said, the market can't support this number of news operations. Someone's going to cry UNCLE. Conventional wisdom says it's WHDH.

Yes, but I don't see Ansin folding easily. Not when the same thing essentially happened with WSVN in the 80s and he made a go of it.

Honestly, I don't see why WHDH can't take on the CW affiliation and WLVI goes indie...

You would think after what he went thru with WSVN in '88, the Leno 10pm debacle in 2010, he would be happy as hell NBC would drop off his ass eventually entirely. But NOOOO! Ol' cracky self had to go thru such litigation, because power, right? Reminded me of an old maya angelou favorite quote of mine that i'll leave it here: "When people show you who they really are, believe them".

[quote name='mrschimpf']I think this will eventually all work out, but as-is, with three different signals, this entire setup is making WBMA's arrangement look pretty genius in comparison, and they have to cover "all" of their landmass unlike NBC Boston, which only transmits to birds and fish east of Boston but is coming off more complicated than I ever imagined.[/QUOTE] Well fish like @Eat News need to watch NBC too.

FWIW, I'll go on record now...I believe NBC will buy WMFP post-auction. The money being offered to WMFP likey fall below what NBC was offering pre-auction. NRJ isn't in business to run stations long term they bought them to flip for a profit. Given how the auction is playing out, flipping the station/transmitter to NBC post-auction might be more profitable.

I think that's what will happen, too. Transfer all the channels at WNEU to WMFP and utilize WNEU as a repeater.

WMFP's RF is 18, is that PSIP channel ID available in the Boston market?

The best December surprise would be the one mentioned in these articles back in July:

https://radioinsight.com/community/topic/boston-herald-could-cox-sell-wfxt-25-might-it-mean-more-affiliation-changes/

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/inside_track/2016/06/is_fox_the_fix_for_local_tv_turmoil

1. Ansin stays in Boston by getting WFXT, and remains affiliated with a Big 4 Network (FOX), the network which his other major station (WSVN) is affiliated with. He could theoretically take his news team with him. WLVI could become a MyNet station creating a Fox/MyNet duopoly.

2. NBC gets WHDH, and more importantly the "7" spot. They don't have to worry about this mash-up of random never heard of before stations to get their signal out. People will not be confused in where to find NBC programming (with the soon to be setup, it may leave viewers wondering ... is is channel 8? Is it channel 10? Is it channel 16? Is it channel 60? Is it channel 62?).

3. Not mentioned in the articles, but I suppose Cox could get WVIT in Hartford (plus cash) in a three-way swap. I don't think NBC would have a problem parting ways that station.

I feel like this solution would cause the least amount of viewer confusion.

The promoted PSIP channel ID of 60.5 for "NBC Boston" on WMFP is not an accident.

Let's say that Comcast does acquire WMFP. Smart money is on the WNEU callsign, IP and PSIP channel ID of 60 moving to WMFP, with the current WNEU taking the WMFP calls and acting as a repeater (the current 60.1 becoming 60.5, 60.2 as 60.6, etc.).

WBTS 8.1 acts as the in-city relay for "NBC Boston," and the official market affiliate, while WNEU 60.2/WMFP 60.5 serves the entire market as the OTA home for NBC. Both Telemundo and NBC ultimately get a combined full-power signal located on the FM-128 Tower.

It all came together in the end.

I have to wonder if NBC ever considered the possibility of trying to purchase just WLVI. For that matter, would Ansin have been willing to sell it to them?

I would just caution everyone not to assume that WHDH is off the table by any means. I say that partially because the recent developments in the spectrum auction...and the business climate going into the new admin.

Nothing is predictable anymore....nothing.

I would just caution everyone not to assume that WHDH is off the table by any means. I say that partially because the recent developments in the spectrum auction...and the business climate going into the new admin.

Nothing is predictable anymore....nothing.

I would laugh if Comcast winds up buying WHDH's license for "NBC Boston," WLVI continues as a CW affiliate merged with WHDH's IP and the artifact "7 NEWS" brand, and Comcast buys WMFP to make that the new WNEU Telemundo 60.

I would laugh if Comcast winds up buying WHDH's license for "NBC Boston," WLVI continues as a CW affiliate merged with WHDH's IP and the artifact "7 NEWS" brand, and Comcast buys WMFP to make that the new WNEU Telemundo 60.

Like I said, the house always wins.

As I work for NBC I know for a damn fact that Corporate didn't think this out thoroughly.

You know, any time someone comes on here and very loudly proclaims to be a TV station employee, they almost never are. Unfortunately, you gave yourself away with this post and the new user account purporting to be an NBC employee (with a invalid NBCUni.com email address) that was registered from your IP and caught in the "unconfirmed users" group. That also revealed several other banned users from that IP. Oopsie!

You know, any time someone comes on here and very loudly proclaims to be a TV station employee, they almost never are. Unfortunately, you gave yourself away with this post and the new user account purporting to be an NBC employee (with a invalid NBCUni.com email address) that was registered from your IP and caught in the "unconfirmed users" group. That also revealed several other banned users from that IP. Oopsie!

Got 'em!!!

Tonight after The Voice: Is NewsBuffy an actual NBC Universal employee? NBC Boston investigates, tonight at 11.

There were some major red flags with this poster in the

San Diego WSD88 Radar failure thread.

It was pretty obvious to some of us, that this person had NO CLUE about the NBC radar and KNBC helo operations and practices....shit that just about any NBC/KNBC LA News employee would have knowledge of.

I played nice anyway....

Just say the word Weeters...and next time NewsBuffy goes near a beach...I will eat him...or her...or "it". I would offer to bring you a "Head on a stick"...but the head is the yummy part, and is akin to one of your tasty human "corn dogs".

Archived