WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

Oh, right. I forgot about that -- probably because I was at a New Year's Eve party where we watched the Times Square ball drop via an online stream. There's a pretty good chance I'll be home this year and able to watch WBTS's coverage.

Actually, that brings up a question: The NBC affiliation officially switches to WBTS at midnight, right? How is that going to affect the network's New Year's Eve special? Will the special actually start on WHDH and end on WBTS?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, right. I forgot about that -- probably because I was at a New Year's Eve party where we watched the Times Square ball drop via an online stream. There's a pretty good chance I'll be home this year and able to watch WBTS's coverage.

Actually, that brings up a question: The NBC affiliation officially switches to WBTS at midnight, right? How is that going to affect the network's New Year's Eve special? Will the special actually start on WHDH and end on WBTS?

A: I'm not sure of the exact time of the switch, and B: I think the NBC NYE special will be on WHDH even after midnight since WBTS has FNB, regardless of the time of the switch.

I'll be back in NH for NYE so I'll probably be watching WBTS then.

Well, it looks like official channel numbers are just about filled out: http://www.nbcboston.com/contact-us/tv-listings/boston-channel-finder-400035841.html

Only oddball-ish one is Verizon at 16/516. But not outrageous I guess. Only one left in Greater Boston to not report is RCN.

Verizon will actually be moving to 10 in mid-January. This leaves the only holes being the Spectrum systems, Metrocast in central NH (which gets WCSH as it is), a couple small systems in NH, and the municipal systems in Norwood and Shrewsbury and the latter has played fast and loose with channels before.

Wouldn't they need a roof antenna? because sometimes getting signals inside can be a pain because they don't get as much strong signals outdoor antennas do. especially those tall ones from back in the day otherwise a majority of people that watch NBC usually use Directv unless WJAR can share with boston as their official station when using cable or satellite.

Wouldn't they need a roof antenna? because sometimes getting signals inside can be a pain because they don't get as much strong signals outdoor antennas do. especially those tall ones from back in the day otherwise a majority of people that watch NBC usually use Directv unless WJAR can share with boston as their official station when using cable or satellite.

Probably they will need a rooftop antenna. The distance between Boston and Providence is short (almost 50 miles), but not enough to receive signals with an indoor antenna.

The switchover happens at 3am.

A: I'm not sure of the exact time of the switch, and B: I think the NBC NYE special will be on WHDH even after midnight since WBTS has FNB, regardless of the time of the switch.

I'll be back in NH for NYE so I'll probably be watching WBTS then.

No big "Throw the switch" special???

No "Light the Peacock"?

Dang sad.

Well, an update to the saga. TV Spy is reporting that NBC has reached an agreement with WMFP to act as a Translator for WBTS.

Why didn't NBC do this to begin with? .

Because it was probably plan C or Plan D, E...or even F.

Just be amazed when it actually goes on-air....those first 72 hours should be priceless.

Yet I trust TVSpy more than I do FTVLive, but that should've been posted earlier on that thread expressing my disdain for FTVLive (which is as much as donald trump has for the mainstream media in general). Not to mention that the TV industry is full of surprises and the situation with WBTS is one of them

You all really got me wondering now...

Why no giant "Welcome NBC" special ???

You will have a giant local captive audience to exploit the hell out of.

I "get it" that NBC and Ed are not the best of Buds ,but get over it and have some fun.

You guys should check out the first comment on that TVSPY article. Don't know if it's our favorite TVNT troll or not...but LOL at the user name.

Oh, that's him. Seen it a couple of different times over there. I laughed quite a few times.

I think this will eventually all work out, but as-is, with three different signals, this entire setup is making WBMA's arrangement look pretty genius in comparison, and they have to cover "all" of their landmass unlike NBC Boston, which only transmits to birds and fish east of Boston but is coming off more complicated than I ever imagined.

Well, an update to the saga. TV Spy is reporting that NBC has reached an agreement with WMFP to act as a Translator for WBTS.

Why didn't NBC do this to begin with? WMFP, provides the same coverage that WHDH does, and would have avoided some of the negative press that NBC had gotten.

Which subchannel? And will it be in HD?

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/nbc-finds-short-term-fix-extend-boston-reach/161743

Also, this article gets WMFP's callsign wrong and says it's owned by a religious broadcaster. It's actually owned by NRJ TV and runs programming from Jimmy Swaggart's SonLife network.

Why didn't NBC do this to begin with? WMFP, provides the same coverage that WHDH does, and would have avoided some of the negative press that NBC had gotten.

So the long-term plan, it sounds like, is that through this spectrum auction (which NBC insists is their cure-all) they acquire a full-power station, shift their license to that station, and it stays, presumably WBTS? All this because they didn't wanna pony up to Eddy A.

Which subchannel? And will it be in HD?

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/nbc-finds-short-term-fix-extend-boston-reach/161743

Also, this article gets WMFP's callsign wrong and says it's owned by a religious broadcaster. It's actually owned by NRJ TV and runs programming from Jimmy Swaggart's SonLife network.

NBC Boston will be mapped on channel 60.5 through WMFP, and will broadcast in high definition.

Because, Comcast.

Archived