WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

We got this card in the mail today:

xfinity-card-nov4.jpg.00706a3d96589bb7d625613dfb429a85.jpg

For the curious, 759 is HLN and 760 is CNN, so the move may prove to be to NECN's benefit.

On the SD side, channel 26 used to be WGBX but has been empty since WGBH took over the programming side of NHPTV.

Bloomberg's move feels kind of "hey, while we're at it, why not?"...but they used to be on 833, sandwiched between Viceland (nee H2) and BBC America.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's how they're filling the non-news time slots: Rachael Ray at 11a, Access Hollywood Live at 2p, Harry at 3p and Access Hollywood at 7:30p

Which should mean a 4pm-6:30pm news block on NBC8/NECN, NBC NN at 6:30pm on NBC8 and local news at 7pm on NBC8/NECN, right? (In lieu of not having Ellen, Extra or other standard O&O strips)

That's far more complete of a schedule than I was assuming.

Xfinity.thumb.jpg.dca6f20bcfb5ed43e355150f536fb59a.jpg

We got this card in the mail today:

[ATTACH]3486[/ATTACH]

For the curious, 759 is HLN and 760 is CNN, so the move may prove to be to NECN's benefit.

On the SD side, channel 26 used to be WGBX but has been empty since WGBH took over the programming side of NHPTV.

Bloomberg's move feels kind of "hey, while we're at it, why not?"...but they used to be on 833, sandwiched between Viceland (nee H2) and BBC America.

Hey, me too!

WKBW morning meteorologist Andy Parker has the "director of meteorology" title; while Aaron Mentkowski in evenings has the "chief meteorologist" title. I fail to see the difference between the two titles honestly.

When Bob Ryan moved to WJLA, he was given the title of "senior meteorologist" while Doug kept the chief title.

From Corporate:

WBTS TV, WBTS TV HD

Social Media platforms for NBC Boston are (But not limited to):

-Twitter: @NBCBoston

-FB: NBC Boston

-Snapchat: NBCBoston

NOTE: ALL OTHER NBC Boston Identities have not been verified by corporate. (NBCUniversal)

-FCC License is pending.

ybHjVegP.jpg.2b7542213775cfbefaccc4e963076c8c.jpg

So is it going to be branded NBC Boston because of all the different cable and broadcast lineups? Or is Comcast going to make it NBC 10 because of their cable position?

Right now corporate is going with NBC Boston and so is the station, probably because WCAU and WJAR already have NBC 10 and are in the same region.

When Bob Ryan moved to WJLA, he was given the title of "senior meteorologist" while Doug kept the chief title.

But who made more money???

Total ego stroking in Tv makes talent "forget" about that long forgotten pay increase that they really wanted.

Right now corporate is going with NBC Boston and so is the station, probably because WCAU and WJAR already have NBC 10 and are in the same region.

Which is what it was going to be all along, using WVIT and KNTV as precedent.

Which is what it was going to be all along, using WVIT and KNTV as precedent.

Is that a trend with more recent NBC O&Os? Some are still branded by channel number (i.e. WNBC is News 4 New York and I'm pretty sure WMAQ is NBC 5 Chicago) but those have been a part of NBC for a long time.

Is that a trend with more recent NBC O&Os? Some are still branded by channel number (i.e. WNBC is News 4 New York and I'm pretty sure WMAQ is NBC 5 Chicago) but those have been a part of NBC for a long time.

Not necessarily. WBTS did that for the sake of representing Boston.

Iirc, NBCU aborted a plan to rebrand all of the O&Os as NBC [LOCALITY]. I'm pretty sure WVIT and KNSD were the only O&O properties to change anything on-air, making the switch from NBC 30 to NBC Connecticut and NBC 7/39 to NBC San Diego respectively. NBC Bay Area was already that.

This was hand-in-hand with the websites -- which is why they're all nbcnewyork.com, nbcla.com, nbcchicago.com, etc. instead of their channel numbers. Though, I think WCAU advertises nbc10.com on-air, but it redirects.

The sale of WBTS-LD from ZGS to NBC was closed on Friday. Now the LP is officially an NBC O&O.

Again, NBC should've been upfront to the viewers and announce their OTA plans at the same time they'd announced that it won't renew its affiliation with WHDH, instead of waiting until almost the end of the year to do so.

The sale of WBTS-LD from ZGS to NBC was closed on Friday. Now the LP is officially an NBC O&O.

Again, NBC should've been upfront to the viewers and announce their OTA plans at the same time they'd announced that it won't renew its affiliation with WHDH, instead of waiting until almost the end of the year to do so.

I don't think that was possible given that they were still looking at other OTA options before settling on what is now WBTS. Why announce the move to one OTA channel only to find a different alternative a few months later? Would have led to more mass confusion... something they don't need more of. They'll be just fine in informing the public. They'll run a billion ads on tv, radio, internet, highways/roads, etc. To get the word out. Even when you give people enough warning, there's always a few dummies that will still not find the ew channel, no matter how long you've told them about the change.

They probably didn't have a plan when they decided they were pulling NBC from WHDH. They probably did it hoping Ansin would coem crawling back on their terms and when that didn't happen they were left in a bind.

Iirc, NBCU aborted a plan to rebrand all of the O&Os as NBC [LOCALITY]. I'm pretty sure WVIT and KNSD were the only O&O properties to change anything on-air, making the switch from NBC 30 to NBC Connecticut and NBC 7/39 to NBC San Diego respectively. NBC Bay Area was already that.

This was hand-in-hand with the websites -- which is why they're all nbcnewyork.com, nbcla.com, nbcchicago.com, etc. instead of their channel numbers. Though, I think WCAU advertises nbc10.com on-air, but it redirects.

IIRC, KNSD's change didn't translate well, so they added the cable position number back, and now go by NBC 7 San Diego.

Also, NBC Bay Area came with the name change of the website domains (in 2009). I believe they were the first to make the on-air change, after having gone with NBC 3 (referring to cable position) and NBC 11 (referring to its channel number). I still don't like the branding, and hoped that they'd do what KNSD did, and become NBC 11 Bay Area (along with a move from 3 to 11 on the local cable systems).

Back to the situation at hand, am I crazy to still have hope that something can still be worked out with 5, 7, or 25. This solution just seems crazy and confusing. So it's OTA Channel 8, Cable Channel 10, and branded as NBC BOSTON.

They probably didn't have a plan when they decided they were pulling NBC from WHDH. They probably did it hoping Ansin would coem crawling back on their terms and when that didn't happen they were left in a bind.

Or they hoped that Ansin would sell either WHDH or WLVI to them, if he didn't agree to their terms.

NBC knew they had a frosty relationship with Ansin and Sunbeam to begin with, and should have kept their partial stake in WWDP, when they sold off the remainder of Envine, if only for leverage.

Well, Ansin should have sold WHDH to NBCUniversal in the first place.

I am so curious to see what happens to WHDH when all is said and done. I really don't think its news operation is so beloved in the Boston market that it can survive on that and whatever syndication stuff it picks up.

Archived