FCC Eliminates UHF Ownership Discount

The Frog

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Discount officially eliminated (although Free Press, et. al. may appeal the three-judge decision to the full court but that hasn't been decided as of yet) I expect a lot more mergers and acquisitions to take place over the next 3 months if not, much longer than that

With the Discount officially eliminated (although Free Press, et. al. may appeal the three-judge decision to the full court but that hasn't been decided as of yet) I expect a lot more mergers and acquisitions to take place over the next 3 months if not, much longer than that

You’re under the assumption that the current M&A spree has let up, whereas it never has in any way. Just look for more of the same and a gradual decline in the amount of legacy “nameplates” that grace the broadcasting landscape. That would have continued even had the “discount” not been reinstated or if it had been thrown out.

The “discount” reinstatement was only meant to help one company and one company alone, and they single-handedly blew it. So it truly serves no purpose now, not when Paid Off’s actions last week helped his cause with pushing additional dereg (after all, he can cite Sinclair-Tribune as an example of “bad dereg”) and making this all a moot point.

You’re under the assumption that the current M&A spree has let up, whereas it never has in any way. Just look for more of the same and a gradual decline in the amount of legacy “nameplates” that grace the broadcasting landscape. That would have continued even had the “discount” not been reinstated or if it had been thrown out.

The “discount” reinstatement was only meant to help one company and one company alone, and they single-handedly blew it. So it truly serves no purpose now, not when Paid Off’s actions last week helped his cause with pushing additional dereg (after all, he can cite Sinclair-Tribune as an example of “bad dereg”) and making this all a moot point.

Wrong, I clearly said that I expect a lot more mergers and acquisitions to take place meaning that Gray/Raycom and whoever buys Tribune and Cox won't be the only mergers were going to be discussing in here

Wrong, I clearly said that I expect a lot more mergers and acquisitions to take place meaning that Gray/Raycom and whoever buys Tribune and Cox won't be the only mergers were going to be discussing in here

Looking at the broadcast landscape, especially in the top 50 markets, I also expect more mergers and acquisitions. Investors reacted favorably to acquisition announcements as evident in stock prices. We will see more of the same.

Looking at the broadcast landscape, especially in the top 50 markets, I also expect more mergers and acquisitions. Investors reacted favorably to acquisition announcements as evident in stock prices. We will see more of the same.

And so far since the ruling, we've seen 2 companies in the past few weeks (Cox and Cordillera) have gone on the block so yeah this ruling is having a impact on the companies that were thinking about going on the block but waited until the ruling came down before deciding whether to sell or stay in the business long term

• 1 month later...

Chris Ruddy (Newsmax) published this interesting commentary regarding ownership caps. Never thought I'd see myself in agreement with him.

https://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2018/09/11/tv-station-mergers-fcc-000697?utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Close+The+TV+Mega-Merger+Loophole&utm_campaign=More+Fallout+From+CBS+And+Moonves

Archived