Linda Yu retiring

cbs2worksforyou

From the station: http://abc7chicago.com/careers/linda-yu-abc-7-chicagos-veteran-anchor-announces-retirement;-judy-hsu-named-4-pm-anchor;-tanja-babich-named-new-morning-anchor/1500535/

So, that's the official announcement strategy for ABC 7 anchors hanging it up. I do like their opportunity to speak at greater length about the move, so good on them. Either way, all the best to her, and Judy is a deserving replacement. Rob and Judy should be good together, based on their fill-ins together. And yes, Tanja has been named morning co-anchor, which is the worst-kept secret in town. Interestingly, Judy will shift to a contributing role at 4 starting next week, with Tanja beginning on the 12th, as well.

With that, Jim Rose is now the tenured guy at 4, and it should be interesting to see what happens in the ratings. At any rate, I can't wait for Linda to pop up at a Sox game with a beard.

(And yes, after the anchor herself and the station, we've broken the story before Feder. #winning)

Congrats to Linda. A very nice lady whom I met briefly a couple of times. She came to my high school once to do I story and I got to show her around and talk a bit. I was surprised to see her 'out in the field' at 2 in the afternoon knowing she had to get back for the 4P newscast.

Off topic... What's with the photo of Hosea on the wall in her office? Seems somewhat odd, but whatever...

Congrats to Linda. A very nice lady whom I met briefly a couple of times. She came to my high school once to do I story and I got to show her around and talk a bit. I was surprised to see her 'out in the field' at 2 in the afternoon knowing she had to get back for the 4P newscast.

Off topic... What's with the photo of Hosea on the wall in her office? Seems somewhat odd, but whatever...

It looks like a newspaper article... Maybe it has to do with the 7pm...

A quick footnote on the discussion until the retirement comes closer, I got a kick out of this line from Feder in April:

"The only unanswered question in ABC 7’s succession plan announced Thursday was the future of the top-rated 4 p.m. weekday newscast, currently co-anchored by Krashesky and Linda Yu. Next month Krashesky will move to 5, 6 and 10 p.m., while Yu has taken the first step toward eventual retirement from the station. Insiders say reporter and fill-in anchor Rob Elgas is the odds-on favorite to get the 4 p.m. slot. Elgas joined ABC 7 last July from NBC-owned WMAQ-Channel 5, where he anchored late afternoons. Judy Hsu, who’s been morning news anchor at ABC 7 since 2001, could be in line to succeed Yu at 4 p.m. — but that’s still a long way off."

...or 5 months (7 til succession). Close enough. :D

Archived