Robotic Cameras - Vinten Radamec vs Cam Bot

rkolsen

I've noticed in BTS Instagram videos stations have been replacing their first generation robotic pedestals for newer models and CamBots seem to the the replacements.

I'm curious what are the fundamental differences between the Vinten Radamec Fusion Pedestals and the Ross CamBots? I imagine the CamBots are easier to integrate to the Ross OverDrive automation as they are the same manufacturer.

However just to show how much of a news tech nerd I am I noticed a lot of the CamBots appear to damage the floor as they spin on their axis as it begins to move.

However just to show how much of a news tech nerd I am I noticed a lot of the CamBots appear to damage the floor as they spin on their axis as it begins to move.

Im guessing you never saw a brand new floor after a Vinten SP-2000 XY spun it's wheels...or just rolled across the floor. Small circles and paths...everywhere...

Allegedly, Vinten is notoriously bad at stocking replacement parts or getting things fixed in general. I have heard several horror stories about Vinten robotic peds being out of service/stuck in manual mode for weeks until a part can be obtained and a technician can come install it. Sometimes this part has been part of the control system, rendering all the pedestals useless and stations scrambling to find camera operators.

Allegedly, Vinten is notoriously bad at stocking replacement parts or getting things fixed in general. I have heard several horror stories about Vinten robotic peds being out of service/stuck in manual mode for weeks until a part can be obtained and a technician can come install it. Sometimes this part has been part of the control system, rendering all the pedestals useless and stations scrambling to find camera operators.

Could it be because Vinten's HQ in the UK while Ross is Canadian (I think CamBot was from California prior to their acquisition).?

Side note: KSL got those furio cameras.

[MEDIA=instagram]BGcX-hNqGDE[/MEDIA]

Im guessing you never saw a brand new floor after a Vinten SP-2000 XY spun it's wheels...or just rolled across the floor. Small circles and paths...everywhere...

Here are the floor skids I've seen from KCAL:

[MEDIA=instagram]BD86fPlrIiO[/MEDIA]

You can kind of see the circular marks from the new set at KCBS:

https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?media/img_9717.913/full&lightbox=1&update=1469247759

• 4 weeks later...

The Vinten SP-2000s are heavy. The lower shrouds are metal, and if you're taking one apart, it's wise to have at least two people around. I've worked with a "fleet" that actually wore holes into the studio floor at heavy-turn areas.

I remember chatting with Miles Spellmen, one of the founders of Cambotics (now CamBot). The Cambotics guys used to work for Vinten. They spun off onto their own project. Their peds were very, very accurate; hardly any drift, which I couldn't say about the aforementioned Vinten units. The Cambotics peds operated with an internal cable pulley for the vertical movement (as opposed to a gas pressure system). This had a critical flaw, however, where it would wear down on some internal piece and slowly shred itself until..... BOOM. I was on the air several times when the cable snapped and the whole thing crashed down to minimum height. They may have fixed this by now.

In my experience, Vinten wore holes in the floor in places, actual damage, but the Cambotics left more circles and trails, which wasn't damage, but you need a really hard wax and cleaning to fix.

I was looking around Instagram and it turned out that WPVI swapped out their heavy SP-2000 for the simple Vinten height drive units with a PTZ head on top.

I guess they could spend $100,000/robot to replace the five or six pedestals or you could get a few height drive units and add an extra camera or two.

I remember chatting with Miles Spellmen, one of the founders of Cambotics (now CamBot). The Cambotics guys used to work for Vinten. They spun off onto their own project. Their peds were very, very accurate; hardly any drift, which I couldn't say about the aforementioned Vinten units. The Cambotics peds operated with an internal cable pulley for the vertical movement (as opposed to a gas pressure system). This had a critical flaw, however, where it would wear down on some internal piece and slowly shred itself until..... BOOM. I was on the air several times when the cable snapped and the whole thing crashed down to minimum height. They may have fixed this by now.

How much damage was there to the PTZ head and equipment attached?

Archived