ESPN and other Disney-owned properties leaving go.com

mre29

I can't believe I'm the first person to post about this here:

ESPN.com has finally replaced espn.go.com, and a newish SEO rule means it won’t lose Google juice

It isn’t quite our-long-national-nightmare-is-over level, but one of the significant daily reminders of the early web just disappeared. ESPN’s website, which had been hosted at espn.go.com since 1998, is finally now just at espn.com.

I just checked and can confirm that the sites for at least three of the ABC O&Os have also left the go.com domain; I'm assuming the other four have as well.

ABC and ABC News are still at their go.com URLs, but I imagine they'll switch over the weekend.

Your turn, cbslocal.com.

I'd be fairly certain that, once CBS completes spinning off their radio division, the CBSlocal.com domain will also be retired.

That being said... Disney's used GO.com since 1998??? Wow.

About as long as I have been using Netscape ver 3.1

Your turn, cbslocal.com.

I'd be fairly certain that, once CBS completes spinning off their radio division, the CBSlocal.com domain will also be retired.

That being said... Disney's used GO.com since 1998??? Wow.

I guess it's time to see the return of WJZ.com....

Ironically, typing in just go.com directly takes you to The Walt Disney Company's website where all of its properties are listed.

Not all of them. Missing from the list are the websites for Marvel, Star Wars...and the individual O&O stations.

• 1 month later...
Not all of them. Missing from the list are the websites for Marvel, Star Wars...and the individual O&O stations.

The rotting caucus of Infoseek is a weird place. Whoever at Disney who is running Go.com saw to it to put up links to Moana and Rogue One, but not to update the name of ABC Family to Freeform. Odd.

Still, as long as http://abc.abcnews.go.com still redirects to ABC's website (because for whatever reason, for about a week in 1999, ABC was moved to a subdomain of ABC News, and for all those poor souls who bookmarked ABC in that week, the redirect must live on), I'll continue to chuckle at it.

Archived