CNN Center might be put up for sale

atlnews2

We have to gather more forces against Zucker- he ruins everything he touches! They can't do that, Atlanta is vital. Plus, it's also part of their communications backbone- in case HBO's uplink center on Long Island ever gets taken offline, they can reroute the signals of the HBO-MAX nets to Atlanta and uplink from there. It can also be reversed- something bad happens in Atlanta, they can uplink the Turner nets in Long Island. Removing that would be very costly.

It's hard to argue Jeff Zucker has ruined CNN. You might not like that it's not a 24-hour headline regurgitation machine anymore, but there certainly is little evidence to suggest he ruined it. He has turned CNN into the Breaking News location (which it still is) into a place for important discussions, analysis and interviews. People actually turn on CNN to hear what's going on in the biggest stories, not just turning it on when the world is ending. And it's not like CNN isn't covering ALL of the news as it used to, instead that has moved to digital, where they dominate the competition.

Time will tell, but CNN is definitely on an upward trend in terms of television ratings, web hits, social media interactions and overall success in terms of exclusive interviews earned, solid investigative reporting and popular anchors. I, too am sad to hear Atlanta may be shutting down, as I think CNN should make Atlanta's it's Bristol, Connecticut, with guests and talent flocking there. I also think if they're going to focus on the 3 or 4 biggest stories on CNN's television platform, they should probably have a "CNN News Desk" update from some reporter in the newsroom kind of like FBN's "FOX Business Brief" or the "360 Bulletin" on Anderson Cooper 360.

He has turned CNN into the Breaking News location (which it still is) into a place for important discussions, analysis and interviews. People actually turn on CNN to hear what's going on in the biggest stories, not just turning it on when the world is ending. And it's not like CNN isn't covering ALL of the news as it used to, instead that has moved to digital, where they dominate the competition.

FOX News Channel consistently beats CNN in times of breaking news on cable, and pretty much all the time.

CNN now trails MSNBC (and even HLN) in many timeslots.

I haven't seen the web traffic reports for cnn.com, but FOX News' facebook page has way more likes and activity than CNN's.

If Zucker hasn't hurt CNN, he sure hasn't helped.

We have to gather more forces against Zucker- he ruins everything he touches! They can't do that, Atlanta is vital. Plus, it's also part of their communications backbone- in case HBO's uplink center on Long Island ever gets taken offline, they can reroute the signals of the HBO-MAX nets to Atlanta and uplink from there. It can also be reversed- something bad happens in Atlanta, they can uplink the Turner nets in Long Island. Removing that would be very costly.

Master Control and other technical operations would be moved to the Turner "Tech Wood" facility also in Atlanta (technically, CNN would be moving *back* there, it's where the channel signed on) where TNT, TCM, Cartoon Network, etc. have their master controls...

He has turned CNN into... a place for important discussions, analysis and interviews.

You must be watching a different CNN than I am.

FOX News Channel consistently beats CNN in times of breaking news on cable, and pretty much all the time.

I haven't seen the web traffic reports for cnn.com, but FOX News' facebook page has way more likes and activity than CNN's.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information about ratings but let's straighten a few things out. As of right now CNN has 22,715,720 facebook likes, compared to Fox's 13,046,444. Twitter? 26.9M (CNN) vs 10.2M (Fox). If you take a look at the ratings on a daily basis, and read ratings releases, you will see that while CNN trails Fox and that MSNBC trails Fox and CNN in most time slots. In fact CNN has been beating MSNBC in total day viewership for 25 months in total viewers & demo. In the case of breaking news Fox & CNN normally split in the ratings. Fox will win total viewers, and CNN will win the demographic. Digitally CNN also wins. For example, in June CNN.com had 1.9 billion multiplatform views compared to Fox's 1.1 billion. CNN readers are also spending more time on their website, 3.8 billion minutes compared to Fox's 3.3 billion.

I honestly see nothing wrong with this.

Most of CNN is based in New York anyway, and their digial operations (which people go to most of the day, especially when not in front of a TV) are thriving.

The ratings prove it.

It's sad that the Atlanta Center is closing department by department, but the way I see it, Zucker is doing well in taking CNN into the information superhighway, and I think it's a good thing.

The 24-hour TV news wheel era is largely done for, but the Internet/social media news era is working wonders, especially for CNN. And that makes so much sense for the most part.

Cut the man some slack.

Anything that Jeff Zucker touches, he kills it. Turning CNN into a "channel shift" from 24-hour news coverage to now just "Breaking News" all the time and providing interviews instead of actual news stories.

If only One America News Network (OANN) had major coverage on satellite providers.

I should note that there is still a significant Turner presence at its Techwood Campus across the Connector from Midtown Atlanta. In fact, the old TBS and current Adult Swim studios are on the east side of the Connector, directly across from Techwood Campus. Time Warner isn't closing Techwood, so Turner will still be here. All Turner master control facilities are based out of Techwood.

That said, regardless of how much CNN output is (and isn't) produced there, CNN Center is a significant Atlanta landmark, an institution of sorts. Even if it will be replaced with commercial development tied into the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium, GWCC Hotel, and the Underground Atlanta redevelopment, it will still be sad to see it go.

Anything that Jeff Zucker touches, he kills it. Turning CNN into a "channel shift" from 24-hour news coverage to now just "Breaking News" all the time and providing interviews instead of actual news stories.

If only One America News Network (OANN) had major coverage on satellite providers.

If OANN had higher production values and less-amateur GFX, and didn't seem like such a Fox News ripoff in primetime (right down to the graphics), maybe I would watch it more often.

CNN typically wins the demo in breaking news situations. CNN comes in second in overall day ratings, MSNBC only beats them in a few hours of primetime. HLN does not beat CNN in any time slots. CNN is the number one news website. FOX News' Facebook page has 13 million likes compared to CNN's 22 million likes.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information about ratings but let's straighten a few things out. As of right now CNN has 22,715,720 facebook likes, compared to Fox's 13,046,444. Twitter? 26.9M (CNN) vs 10.2M (Fox). If you take a look at the ratings on a daily basis, and read ratings releases, you will see that while CNN trails Fox and that MSNBC trails Fox and CNN in most time slots. In fact CNN has been beating MSNBC in total day viewership for 25 months in total viewers & demo. In the case of breaking news Fox & CNN normally split in the ratings. Fox will win total viewers, and CNN will win the demographic. Digitally CNN also wins. For example, in June CNN.com had 1.9 billion multiplatform views compared to Fox's 1.1 billion. CNN readers are also spending more time on their website, 3.8 billion minutes compared to Fox's 3.3 billion.

Regarding social media, CNN spends more time posting fluff, celebrity gossip, and entertainment stuff than they do actual news. It has to be what their social media platform is. Granted they have multiple profiles for specific news types. However on their main page, they have a freaking post about the female orgasm.

I don't understand this obsession with New York at all. It's a very expensive city, and it also happens to be rather peripheral geographically and often psychologically to the rest of the United States. (Most Americans don't even live in the Eastern time zone anymore.) Yes, it's a media hub, but in these days in instant communications, does that even matter?

I don't understand this obsession with New York at all. It's a very expensive city, and it also happens to be rather peripheral geographically and often psychologically to the rest of the United States. (Most Americans don't even live in the Eastern time zone anymore.) Yes, it's a media hub, but in these days in instant communications, does that even matter?

As a New Yorker I admit I'm biased (although I have lived in Iowa for the past four years), but I disagree with your assertion that it's a rather peripheral city. It's right in the middle of the Bos-Wash corridor, which has over 50 million people in it. While it's obviously not in the center of our vast, largely low-density country, there's no other region with such a dense population. Logistically, it makes a ton of sense to have media in New York...DC is only 2.5 hours away by train, with cities such as Philadelphia and Baltimore even closer. This enables a wide array of flexibility for anchors, reporters, and guests. Watching MSNBC, it's not rare to find one anchor hosting in Washington in the morning, and have them appear in the New York studio a few hours later.

I agree that the Northeast is overrepresented in terms of media coverage, and there are a ton of totally valid reasons why that's not cool at all. I just don't think geography is really one of them, because I can't really think of a comparable region that is as interconnected and dense in the US.

As a New Yorker I admit I'm biased (although I have lived in Iowa for the past four years), but I disagree with your assertion that it's a rather peripheral city. It's right in the middle of the Bos-Wash corridor, which has over 50 million people in it. While it's obviously not in the center of our vast, largely low-density country, there's no other region with such a dense population. Logistically, it makes a ton of sense to have media in New York...DC is only 2.5 hours away by train, with cities such as Philadelphia and Baltimore even closer. This enables a wide array of flexibility for anchors, reporters, and guests. Watching MSNBC, it's not rare to find one anchor hosting in Washington in the morning, and have them appear in the New York studio a few hours later.

I agree that the Northeast is overrepresented in terms of media coverage, and there are a ton of totally valid reasons why that's not cool at all. I just don't think geography is really one of them, because I can't really think of a comparable region that is as interconnected and dense in the US.

Well, as for sheer population density, coastal California (SoCal and the Bay Area) comes close, but what about Chicago? I'm revealing my own biases here, since I happen to live in Chicago, but the Windy City is often called the most "American" big city and is essentially the capital of the country's heartland, as well as being a major communications hub, but its significance often gets overlooked because so much attention is directed towards the NE corridor. Yes, the population density of the Midwest is lower, but about 65 million people live there, and for the most part, they feel no particular connection to the NE corridor and its often specific priorities.

I imagine if they close up shop and move production to New York (the shows are produced I'm Atlanta - the beauty of fiber) they'll lose some great talent. Making a move to New York is expensive (even if they pay for relocation), the cost of living is higher let alone a complete culture shock. Sure Atlanta is a big city but it's nothing compared to New York.

The move to New York is a pet project for Jeff Zucker - I imagine he just doesn't like Atlanta. If CNN wanted to keep key staff and stay in Atlanta they should build a new modern newsroom and in addition to the planned/rumored technical facilities in the Tech Wood campus. I imagine the state of Georgia could give them some tax cuts for a new facility to keep their current operations in state.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, as for sheer population density, coastal California (SoCal and the Bay Area) comes close, but what about Chicago? I'm revealing my own biases here, since I happen to live in Chicago, but the Windy City is often called the most "American" big city and is essentially the capital of the country's heartland, as well as being a major communications hub, but its significance often gets overlooked because so much attention is directed towards the NE corridor. Yes, the population density of the Midwest is lower, but about 65 million people live there, and for the most part, they feel no particular connection to the NE corridor and its often specific priorities.

I definitely agree with this (it feels like networks do an occasional news broadcast from Chicago to keep the O&O's happy), though I would argue the west coast just has it the worst. Cable news and weather was supposedly set up in the 80's to finally allow the Pacific time zone to get their own primetime news that the networks only did grudgingly; I still remember the days when CNN and the Weather Channel had shows specifically focused on West Coast issues as the late local news unrolled in the east. Around 1998 though when the news wars got hot between them and FNC and MSNBC they seemed to tire of it and began pulling back those primetime west coast shows for rebroadcasts of earlier shows or for the Weather Channel, reality tripe.

At this point, the only true 'West Coast' networks are completely regional, or like the Pac 12 Networks, have to deal with providers looking at their 'primetime is at 11 ET' schedules and laugh off their carriage (and the sports complications; the Pac 12 is a good conference but even middling Atlantic conferences soak up ESPN's attention). If someone could finally crack the 'give the West Coast respect' conundrum, they'd get surprisingly positive coverage for sure (and it has to be more than car chases and TMZ regulars too).

I imagine if they close up shop and move production to New York (the shows are produced I'm Atlanta - the beauty of fiber) they'll lose some great talent. Making a move to New York is expensive (even if they pay for relocation), the cost of living is higher let alone a complete culture shock. Sure Atlanta is a big city but it's nothing compared to New York.

The move to New York is a pet project for Jeff Zucker - I imagine he just doesn't like Atlanta. If CNN wanted to keep key staff and stay in Atlanta they should build a new modern newsroom and in addition to the planned/rumored technical facilities in the Tech Wood campus. I imagine the state of Georgia could give them some tax cuts for a new facility to keep their current operations in state.

the on air talent wants to be in NYC, don't need master control to be in high priced in NYC

I still remember the days when CNN and the Weather Channel had shows specifically focused on West Coast issues as the late local news unrolled in the east. Around 1998 though when the news wars got hot between them and FNC and MSNBC they seemed to tire of it and began pulling back those primetime west coast shows for rebroadcasts of earlier shows or for the Weather Channel, reality tripe.

When I think about it, it seems like the late 90s would have been a prime time for a bunch of non-big-3 west coast stations to try to band together and co-produce something like KHON's world-focused newscast, with repackaged local stories from the participating stations mixed in. I'm kind of surprised that I didn't ever hear of anything like that happening. By the time they got KCPQ, Tribune could easily have done that within just their station group.

Archived