NBC's Storm Rangers, Weather Expansions and NBCU Model

rkolsen

17 hours ago, rkolsen said:

They briefly touched on their advances in radar technology including their seven fixed radars and six mobile units. He mentions that radar that radar data does not “enhance” their forecasts as it’s only really useful in the immediate short term “from five minutes to an hour or two.”

Nate is based in Raleigh and the models are based in the corporate networks however he does have a WSI computer to use. 

I paraphrased parts of the interview.

Thanks for posting that.

The WSR-88D in San Diego is down for a few weeks because of some scheduled "maintenance"...

zradardown.thumb.JPG.9b3f1f9e04101b325200bb14a3a2b31c.JPG

Why isn't KNSD promoting the hell out of their own radar while the NWS system is tanked?

It should be a talking point in every wx-cast while the problem persist.

Do promo departments even exist anymore?   

Or did that get outsourced to New Deli also?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Here’s a article from TVNewsCheck entitled “NBCU Stations’ Weather Forecast: Top Notch” where they interview NBCU’s Director of Weather Operations Nate Johnson (formerly of Capitol Broadcasting Group).  

I previously wondered how they use their NBCU model and how it was developed. In simplified terms they take all the weather models and make a composite of it.  In a bit more detail they take all the models, determine “and pull them in under one umbrella and evaluating them on a day-by-day basis to see which ones are performing well, which ones are performing poorly. Then we can weigh all of that in an automated fashion and in a manual fashion to determine what our final NBC forecasts might be for a given spot at a given time.”

Typically they don’t talk about the models but “how is it going to affect your life?” but they do if it’s an event such as a hurricane. They gave an example of how weather affects your life is when there was a significant dry spell in Texas but there was a week of rain.  A Telemundo chief meteorologist explained explained rather than the total rain amount but when you will have to water your plants again. 

They briefly touched on their advances in radar technology including their seven fixed radars and six mobile units. He mentions that radar that radar data does not “enhance” their forecasts as it’s only really useful in the immediate short term “from five minutes to an hour or two.”

Nate is based in Raleigh and the models are based in the corporate networks however he does have a WSI computer to use. 

I paraphrased parts of the interview.

Don't mean to go off topic but there's this credit union here in New Bedford and when you put the whole name in an acronym, it comes out to NBCU = New Bedford Credit Union.

I'm surprised NBCUniversal hasn't sued them for that.

nbcu-logo-color.png

On 3/8/2019 at 9:09 PM, Eat News said:

Thanks for posting that.

The WSR-88D in San Diego is down for a few weeks because of some scheduled "maintenance"...

zradardown.thumb.JPG.9b3f1f9e04101b325200bb14a3a2b31c.JPG

Why isn't KNSD promoting the hell out of their own radar while the NWS system is tanked?

It should be a talking point in every wx-cast while the problem persist.

Do promo departments even exist anymore?   

Or did that get outsourced to New Deli also?

They should be promoting it, the San Diego last status message was from March 4 at 17:55 UTC.  The other stations are probably covered by KSOX (Santa Ana Mountains, CA) and KYUX (Yuma, AZ) and satellite radar (which updates about every 10 minutes).   The Yuma radar looks like it barely reaches the coast.  

3 hours ago, SFTV said:NBC Bay Area Storm Ranger a top San Bruno Mountain

13F68FEE-D720-40E8-98CF-E531A47A7687.jpeg

I think KNTV has there own Storm Ranger with the other west coast one based in LA (probably is a pain to drive it from LA to SF). I’m surprised NBC isn’t considering putting a permanent X Band radar up at that site (it’s parked there frequently enough). All the KNBC/KNSD radars are the same ones that are on the back of the Storm Rangers.  

• 8 months later...
15 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Just saw a fresh FCC approval, WCAU was just approved days ago for a new radar site. It will have a million watt output power with a ERP with over 2.6 million watts.  It will be located in Aston, PA in Delaware County.

DOPPLER 10 MILLION

GET ME JOHN BOLARIS AND A BOXING RING STAT

1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

DOPPLER 10 MILLION

GET ME JOHN BOLARIS AND A BOXING RING STAT

1 hour ago, HulkieD said:

You forgot to add COUNT ON IT to the name. 

I’d be afraid to recreate that spot as WPVI’s meteorologists Cecily and Adam frequently go boxing during the dinner break.  

Also there now are a total of six Storm Rangers. 

• 4 months later...

The type of wx that a storm ranger is built for simply doesn't exist in the Bay Area, at least not in the frequency where such a tool is needed.  Need to move it elsewhere.

On 4/12/2020 at 4:51 PM, DWW said:

The type of wx that a storm ranger is built for simply doesn't exist in the Bay Area, at least not in the frequency where such a tool is needed.  Need to move it elsewhere.

They seem to have just parked at a receive site during weather events in lieu of having a fixed radar.

I believe there’s a permit for them to install a new radar controlled from KNTV/KSTS.

Archived