NBC's Storm Rangers, Weather Expansions and NBCU Model

rkolsen

Here’s something @CaptainNews pojnted out it appears that the Orange County Radar data is appearing on KABC and KCBS newscasts. The radars in the same spot where KNBC has it on their map. Wonder what’s up with that. [attachment=4465:name] [B]Edit: It’s the KSOX radar from the NWS which is in the Santa Anna Mountains. [URL]https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=sox&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no[/URL][/B]

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='rkolsen']Here’s something @CaptainNews pojnted out it appears that the Orange County Radar data is appearing on KABC and KCBS newscasts. The radars in the same spot where KNBC has it on their map. Wonder what’s up with that. [ATTACH=full]6282[/ATTACH] [B]Edit: It’s the KSOX radar from the NWS which is in the Santa Anna Mountains. [URL]https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=sox&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no[/URL][/B][/QUOTE] Interesting how they brand it exclusive when it isn’t. Not that it matters to the public but it does to us news junkies. Thanks for the info rk!

• 4 weeks later...
KNSD San Diego radar is up and running...

The biggest winner in this is......

Tijuana Mexico.

lookie at all that coverage in mexico....dang!

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/weather/?zipCode=92101

[ATTACH=full]6430[/ATTACH]

Wonder who will control it KNBC or KNSD. Given how close it is to the border could explain why it took so long for it to get approved and built. Cross border, cross language frequency coordination must be a pain.

Wonder who will control it KNBC or KNSD. Given how close it is to the border could explain why it took so long for it to get approved and built. Cross border, cross language frequency coordination must be a pain.

Don't get us started on the freq coordination, with Mexico.

The required nextel / 2ghz microwave and public safety rebanding of the 800mhz spectrum is going into year 15 here....and it's just finally getting underway.

We can coordinate all we want with Mexico...but they still pop-up on just about ANY frequency they wish.

The Mexicans will buy surplus public safety radio systems from the USA...and the sellers of those systems don't bother to de-program the radios and the repeaters.

So the State Department Of Forestry sells 500 radios to Tijuana Fire Department...and then when Tijuana fire starts transmitting on the CDF channels they all scratch heads and say "How the hell did that happen?"

Duh...

Don't get me started about Mexico...and why they are on the 450mhz RPU broadcast channels with TAXI dispatching...

I know a few "guys" that love spending Saturday nights near the border....jamming the Taxi's in TJ during the bar rush hours.

Adalante!

Diez Quatro!

I imagine that KNSD would be the one controlling the San Diego radar (while KNBC controls the Los Angeles radar)

[quote name='oknewsguy']I imagine that KNSD would be the one controlling the San Diego radar (while KNBC controls the Los Angeles radar)[/QUOTE] The FCC still lists [URL='http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=4039556']KNBC as the controlling site[/URL]. It could be something as simple as they could remotely control it at KNSD through a VPN. All the Storm Buggies™ * registered control points are in Philly, LA, Boston and Dallas - regardless of which station operates them. * Storm Buggies is a registered trademark of @Eat News the proprietor of KBEX-TV, a independent TV station, mini golf course and go cart facility. [IMG]https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?media/kbex-studios.1018/full[/IMG]

The fact that that Radar looks directly down at the border...and offers pretty much 100% coverage into Baja makes that radar a huge tool for.....Mexico.

The economic impact of this thing is actually pretty huge. The Mexican goverment sure does not seem to care about placing their own civilian(non military) radar unit in TJ.

Mexico is gonna be lovin on KNSD this winter when the floods and landslides hit Tijuana and Baja.

The fact that that Radar looks directly down at the border...and offers pretty much 100% coverage into Baja makes that radar a huge tool for.....Mexico.

The economic impact of this thing is actually pretty huge. The Mexican goverment sure does not seem to care about placing their own civilian(non military) radar unit in TJ.

Mexico is gonna be lovin on KNSD this winter when the floods and landslides hit Tijuana and Baja.

The radar specs say it maxes out at 100 miles, but I heard from meteorologists that operate the Storm Buggies (which are the same model as the fixed installation ones) say the data’s only useful from 30-50 miles.

Plus how would Mexico get the data? They’d literally have to use the NBC website and or apps. Those surely don’t give out the full dataset.

If Mexico wanted data they could easily buy it from the federal government which gives it away for free. They just have to provide the data connection and equipment to receive it in Maryland. The government also has downlinks for their GOES satellites.

The radar specs say it maxes out at 100 miles, but I heard from meteorologists that operate the Storm Buggies (which are the same model as the fixed installation ones) say the data’s only useful from 30-50 miles.

Plus how would Mexico get the data? They’d literally have to use the NBC website and or apps. Those surely don’t give out the full dataset.

If Mexico wanted data they could easily buy it from the federal government which gives it away for free. They just have to provide the data connection and equipment to receive it in Maryland. The government also has downlinks for their GOES satellites.

This will be superior to what they get from the WSD-88. Location, Location, Location.

If I'm with the GOBC folks in TJ I would want access to that radar...and I would be happy to pay for it.

This will be superior to what they get from the WSD-88. Location, Location, Location.

If I'm with the GOBC folks in TJ I would want access to that radar...and I would be happy to pay for it.

GOBC? I could see NBC selling data at a delay (maybe faster than the NEXRAD and higher resolution). All the data is shared with all the O&Os.

Also I saw that on twitter someone I followed, Nate Johnson, a while back based in Raleigh (formerly of WRAL) is NBC’s Director of Weather Operations for NBC Owned Stations. Does NBC have a base down there?

Also they have their own weather model that’s used up in NBC 10 Boston, Telemundo Nueva Inglattera and NECN. I wonder what goes on to creating that model and how long.

So I think the only nbc stations without their own stationary radar within their DMAs are WCAU, WRC and KNTV.

Out of scientific interest could NBC get one of those long range 300 mile S band radars, plop it somewhere equidistant in Maryland between Philadelphia and Washington and have it cover most of their DMA?

So I think the only nbc stations without their own stationary radar within their DMAs are WCAU, WRC and KNTV.

Out of scientific interest could NBC get one of those long range 300 mile S band radars, plop it somewhere equidistant in Maryland between Philadelphia and Washington and have it cover most of their DMA?

It's actually kinda what WCAU does now. They tap into WNBC's radar all the time (unbranded), usually as part of a mosaic of the local NWS radars. The radar site is in New Brunswick which is just about halfway between New York and Philly and it covers us pretty well; only western Chester County in PA and Sussex County in DE get left out. In Sussex County's case the NWS' KDOX radar is located in the heart of it so it gets the job done. If NBC were to do what you propose, WCAU would come out the big winners as they could boast that they have their own market exclusive radar network. NBC could also let WBAL use it since this radar site would probably be located somewhere in Baltimore County to ensure both Philly and DC are well covered.

[quote name='WCAUTVNBC10']It's actually kinda what WCAU does now. They tap into WNBC's radar all the time (unbranded), usually as part of a mosaic of the local NWS radars. The radar site is in New Brunswick which is just about halfway between New York and Philly and it covers us pretty well; only western Chester County in PA and Sussex County in DE get left out. In Sussex County's case the NWS' KDOX radar is located in the heart of it so it gets the job done. If NBC were to do what you propose, WCAU would come out the big winners as they could boast that they have their own market exclusive radar network. NBC could also let WBAL use it since this radar site would probably be located somewhere in Baltimore County to ensure both Philly and DC are well covered.[/QUOTE] I should add Baltimore and DC is in a pretty sweet spot when it comes to radar coverage 3 or 4 NWS radars and 2-3 TDWR (airport radar) covering our region. Something you don’t see often. So data is constantly updated and likely why WMAR and WJZ decommissioned their radars and none in DC. In fact the reason why WBAL branded the radar as HD Doppler back in the mid to early aughts was because they were the only station receiving five different radar sources. Also, they deployed a Storm Buggy ™ in to the east Norfolk off of 264 and a block or two off the beach. It’s picking up the northern most bands. I imagine they’ll move it as it progresses. [attachment=4643:name] [SIZE=1]Storm Buggies™ is a registered trademark of KBEX-TV a division of @Eat News Industries. [/SIZE]

[quote name='rkolsen'] Also, they deployed a Storm Buggy ™ in to the east Norfolk off of 264 and a block or two off the beach. It’s picking up the northern most bands. I imagine they’ll move it as it progresses. [ATTACH=full]6487[/ATTACH] [SIZE=1]Storm Buggies™ is a registered trademark of KBEX-TV a division of @Eat News Industries. [/SIZE][/QUOTE] Yeah that's StormRanger 10. They sent WRC's David Culver to man it. He did a live shot for WCAU this afternoon.

[quote name='WCAUTVNBC10']Yeah that's StormRanger 10. They sent WRC's David Culver to man it. He did a live shot for WCAU this afternoon.[/QUOTE] For a while it was naked (no magnets): [MEDIA=instagram]BnuLhOgFuxB[/MEDIA] And @Eat News is right they played it very safe. Positioned it in Norfolk where they expected heavier bands and stronger winds but in the end got very little. They (meaning camera lady) drove it back and arrived at WRC at 11:20 Friday night.

• 2 weeks later...
Today should be a very good time to compare the units side by side.

Hurricane Rosa is sending rain into Socal from Mexico.

San Diego WSD88 https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=NKX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

KNSD radar https://www.nbcsandiego.com/weather/?zipCode=92101

Does KNSD promote them?

Maybe KNSD just forgot to plug in the new wx radar...or maybe it's batteries are low.

2 scans at about the same time of Hurricane Rosa rain....

KNSD scan...

useless1.thumb.JPG.2a675eb40e19f86c414228f32e704d62.JPG

And the WSD-88 San Diego NWS scan...

useless2.thumb.JPG.f3f5606780803d4c3c4e1da4a4a9331c.JPG

The KNSD radar should be seeing this stuff also, but it's not.

• 1 month later...

I don’t think it’s worth it’s own thread but when NBC Boston launches they promoted an exclusive NBCU Model. I noticed it on WCAU had the same for a minute with the current storm briefly.

So what goes into creating their own model and processing it?

I don’t think it’s worth it’s own thread but when NBC Boston launches they promoted an exclusive NBCU Model. I noticed it on WCAU had the same for a minute with the current storm briefly.

So what goes into creating their own model and processing it?

In Socal the NBC WX sites only show company radar in the sweep. Would that mean they are not using the NWS sites/sweeps?

I'm probably not using the proper terminology but I don't see the NWS radar sites 'pinned" on the NBC wx maps.

We haven't had any real weather here for the last 6 months, so I still can't tell which radar I like better...but the NBC radar has prettier colors ...if that matters.

Archived