KUSA replacing 6pm news with "Next with Kyle Clark"

C Block

Oh my god TEGNA can we please let the 2010 graphics die already!! I saw this from the on the 9/2 "Next":

[ATTACH=full]3308[/ATTACH]

How are these the 2010 package? Gannett only started rolling out the G3 (or whatever it's called) in late 2012.

• 3 weeks later...
This could definitely work on WKYC for its 7pm newscast. It would definitely beat the fluff that's sometimes in the timeslot for channel 3.

WKYC's 7pm newscast has seen different iterations of the more-conversational format (by virtue of the different anchors that have helmed it). It wouldn't be that hard to flip to this format.

They ought need to get a 5pm newscast first IMHO. Dr. Phil is starting to show some wear after all these years in that timeslot...

Oh my god TEGNA can we please let the 2008 graphics die already!! I saw this from the on the 9/2 "Next":

[ATTACH=full]3308[/ATTACH]

For whatever reason, weather graphics computers always seem to be where old graphics stick around. I know WSI has a convoluted process for switching graphics packages that ultimately encourages old graphics to not get replaced. It's not an automatic process, every single scene and map needs to be manually updated with new colors, fonts, and backgrounds.

• 2 months later...

So how are the ratings going? Apparently not great. Ratings for "Next" are down almost 40% compared to the traditional 6pm format. Perhaps not so amazingly, KUSA is still #1 at 6pm despite such a steep drop.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/12/01/next-with-kyle-clark/

KCNC is seeing some modest gains, but KUSA is still #1 at pretty much all timeslots. In other words, nothing has really changed between #1 and #2 in this market for the last three decades.

I really do like the Next format. It's definitely different and quirky, but it's still a high quality show. It's great to see that KUSA seems committed to it, but my original suspicions about the timeslot seem to be true. I think it would have been safer to put it on say KTVD at 7pm or 9pm instead of getting rid of the holy grail 6pm news. The show probably wouldn't have had the same splash, but I'm not sure alienating traditional viewers in favor of an on-air laboratory is the best execution of a long-term strategy. Maybe viewers will grow to like it, and maybe Tegna is happy with letting the show grow organically, but to paraphrase a line in Network, television is a volatile industry in which success is determined week by week. There's only so much time a show can be afforded in which it can grow slowly.

• 3 weeks later...
For whatever reason, weather graphics computers always seem to be where old graphics stick around. I know WSI has a convoluted process for switching graphics packages that ultimately encourages old graphics to not get replaced. It's not an automatic process, every single scene and map needs to be manually updated with new colors, fonts, and backgrounds.

this is what KTXL is still doing and yet they still didn't get the ones from WXIN.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread to point out that as of last week, Next is now being rerun at 9:30 on KTVD, shortening the 9pm news back to 30 minutes.

Makes sense really. The last time I watched the 9pm show, the back half hour routinely reran at least one or two packages from Next. The Next format is fairly evergreen too, so rerunning it three hours later following a live newscast likely won't be a problem except for on really big breaking news nights, in which case they'll probably ditch the rerun and do a full hour on the fly anyway.

I think it would have been safer to put it on say KTVD at 7pm or 9pm instead of getting rid of the holy grail 6pm news

This. Or a time period where KUSA and KTVD didn't already do news. I could have totally understood doing this if they were doing it as a way to counter the KDVR/KWGN newscasts because it wouldn't have just been another newscast. It would have been done in a different format and would capture viewers who wanted to see their newscast done in this way. But for a station that's the number one station to do this on their 6pm newscast is just asking to lose viewers.

The same can be said in Seattle with that 4pm newscast. That would have worked better for KONG than KING. But this is Tegna so they're going to make dumb decisions like this. Just hope that one day, they'll understand the value of their duopoly partners and use those for stuff other than reruns and stuff like that.

This. Or a time period where KUSA and KTVD didn't already do news. I could have totally understood doing this if they were doing it as a way to counter the KDVR/KWGN newscasts because it wouldn't have just been another newscast. It would have been done in a different format and would capture viewers who wanted to see their newscast done in this way. But for a station that's the number one station to do this on their 6pm newscast is just asking to lose viewers.

I initially said that I thought it would have been a better fit for an off-peak timeslot on KTVD, and I remember reading an interview with Kyle Clark in which he said he thought that's where the show would end up when he first pitched it as an idea.

Now that it's been on the air for nearly two years, it really seems to have stuck, surprisingly. Sure, they had a huge viewer dropoff when they switched away from the traditional format, but the Denver Post's writeup of the November book says not only are Next's ratings up and attracting new viewers, but it's still handily beating the competition at 6 p.m., and 6 p.m. is back to being a three-headed race in Denver again. Meanwhile, KUSA's 10pm, which is still very much a traditional newscast, is down 28% year over year.

Tegna doesn't get much appreciation on here, and they certainly have tried some boneheaded ideas on plenty of other stations. But you have to hand it to them for sticking to their guns with Next by putting it in such a flagship timeslot and giving it the time to grow. The natural inclination would have been to launch Next on KTVD in an off time where it would have never had a chance to attract any eyeballs and then kill it off after one or two books. That didn't happen in this case.

What puzzles me is that WVEC killed off their version of this format (which replaced their 11 p.m.) literally after the debut broadcast on a Friday night after social media backlash. It really goes to show that giving new concepts the time and space to develop can pay off.

• 2 weeks later...
It really goes to show that giving new concepts the time and space to develop can pay off.

OT, but the same thing happened with an ABC sitcom way back in the day by the name of Barney Miller. It started in 1975 and had shaky ratings at the top, but ABC gave it the room to find its voice, and over the remaining seven seasons (all the way to its end in 1982), it found its groove and was very highly rated, IIRC, and became one of the classics of not just the 70s, but ABC, and television in general.

OT, but the same thing happened with an ABC sitcom way back in the day by the name of Barney Miller. It started in 1975 and had shaky ratings at the top, but ABC gave it the room to find its voice, and over the remaining seven seasons (all the way to its end in 1982), it found its groove and was very highly rated, IIRC, and became one of the classics of not just the 70s, but ABC, and television in general.

ABC was willing to take a lot of chances that really paid off by 1978. Barney Miller was really funny then...but even funnier now.

networks don't have that patience anymore, now they need instant ratings

Archived