Philadelphia DNC coverage thread

Newstudent

Now that the National Conventions have finally ended for another Election-ad (a way of saying 4 years), I'm curious as to what are your thoughts on the stations'/networks' coveage as a whole? Which station (or network) was the best and worst? Which net's booth looked the best (and worst)?

And, side note: which Convention had the best stage design & usage?

I feel that it is finnaly time for me to give some input. I would have commented before, but i spent the entire convention filming the protests that were going on in the city, in doing this i learned a few things. I also went to morning joe on monday since they were broadcastimg from a philly resturant. While there i learned this: segments are shorter than they appear, anchors extremely often go off script/teleprompter and kind of re write the script as they see it, everything is last minute - during commercial breaks a swath of people come on set and everything isnt normal agian till about 2 seconds to being on air, the teleprompter sometimes randomly goes out. I also learned other things.

The big story concerning the protests was that, with the exception of fox buisness news and local newspapers, it was treated as a non story. To illustrate, on night 2 an NBCNews cameramen captured what is likely the only truly professional video of the former 2012 green party presidential pick being arrested, multiple people scaling a fence, and most notably, police using pepper spray on protesters, he was the only one to get clear video and yet the newsworthy video he shot went absolutely knowwhere, never to be seen by the public. This was just one example of it being ignored, i am sure you have heard about cnn, cutting away from coverage of the protests after 20 seconds to view a boyz to men peformace. In addition i thought i had video of the pepper spray and i told this too walter perez of 6abc as i was leaving and to my surprise he had np clue how big the protest had gotten but he wanted to see my video, i told him i wasnt sure if i got it as in the choas that occurred when we all ran away from the pepper spary i thought it had stopped recording (i was right) they couldnt transfer video from my sd card onto any of the truck computers so i went to a second 6abc truck and it was transferred using a labtop, he also interviewed me. It seemed like the story would make it to air, expecially after seeing walters face in the, who we have on the ground after the show opened but of course, the piece never aired. Side note: 6abc had security for all reporters. I alluded before to how only fox buisness was there, that was intersting as the camera went on me for a second so i whipped out my phone to see if i got on tv (live stream) i did, the cameraman though told me that they dont actually tell him when video is being broadcast. Thats enough of my storu for now, if you want to see what i filmed go to youtube.com/rickyreports

WPVI yesterday interviewed someone from the electrical union that wired the event and he said most of the broadcasters ran fiber. He said some of the runs up to the suites used thousands of feet of fiber.

Yes. Massive amounts of fiber were put into the Wells Fargo Center for the convention. They were installing it for over a month before. It was a huge project.

It would appear, according to TVspy, that as usual WPVI is blowing everyone else put of the water with DNC coverage, especially on digital where they put the same same effort into digital platforms as they did for on air.

Philadelphia Station Sees Big Returns From Digital Focus at DNC | TVSpy

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/philadelphia-station-sees-big-returns-from-digital-focus-at-dnc/175471

Yes. Massive amounts of fiber were put into the Wells Fargo Center for the convention. They were installing it for over a month before. It was a huge project.

You can never have too much fiber...

For everyday colon health.

(Public service Announcement from TVNT)

Archived