Philadelphia DNC coverage thread

Newstudent

Thought I would create a thread for Philadelphia TV news coverage of the DNC. The country is focused on philly for the next week. Its arguably the most high profile event the city has had in a long time. (I think even more than the papal visit). Intrested to see how our local stations cover it, and posdibly how the nation looks at the city.

I think the Pope was more high profile ... at least, it seemed that way, with the amount of hype / traffic closures / preparations for MONTHS before. It was a huge security operation (not that the DNC isn't,but that's at least in an enclosed building). All the papal stuff happened outside. And I-76 and I-95 were both closed entirely for the pope.

Lucy Noland was doing a facebook live stream last night and she turned the camera around and you could see that the CBS3 studio was next to theirs. Also, when the news at 10 was on last night on FOX29, It was funny because you could hear CBS3's 10pm news.

I think the Pope was more high profile ... at least, it seemed that way, with the amount of hype / traffic closures / preparations for MONTHS before. It was a huge security operation (not that the DNC isn't,but that's at least in an enclosed building). All the papal stuff happened outside. And I-76 and I-95 were both closed entirely for the pope.

In addition the Pope was in the city where as the convention is 20 minutes south of center city.

I guess WFMZ couldn't afford a studio, Wendy and Rob are broadcasting live from the "media tent" -- it's hard to hear them what with all the noise in the background.

They've also had, though, at least 2 reporters in Philly all week.

Jim & Melanie are anchoring the broadcast from the studio.

Maybe it's been this way all week, but I'm just tuning in now.

Rob's gushing over the convention is more than enough all the way from Allentown. With his vacation occurring during the RNC, Rob could turn it down a little. Thankfully the rest of WFMZ is doing a better job than WPVI's coverage. They mention Trump more this week than last week. And like national converge, they don't have much to say about Wikileaks, but they have provided allot of coverage of Trump's reaction.

I would hope that people who are still undecided use much better source material than their local news. WPVI has been doing their local market a great disservice with their unapologetic devotion to Hillary Clinton and the DNC. With every negative development that comes from the DNC, WPVI throws Trump under the bus. But with every "positive view point" on Hillary, they have no positive view point on Trump or his supporters. I want to think my fellow Americans and Deleware Vallites want to do what's right for the country. But there is nothing right about the coverage of the DNC and Hillary Clinton. The facts are not all out there, but "the feels" and the spin is always right around the corner, especially on WPVI.

Rob's gushing over the convention is more than enough all the way from Allentown. With his vacation occurring during the RNC, Rob could turn it down a little. Thankfully the rest of WFMZ is doing a better job than WPVI's coverage. They mention Trump more this week than last week. And like national converge, they don't have much to say about Wikileaks, but they have provided allot of coverage of Trump's reaction.

I would hope that people who are still undecided use much better source material than their local news. WPVI has been doing their local market a great disservice with their unapologetic devotion to Hillary Clinton and the DNC. With every negative development that comes from the DNC, WPVI throws Trump under the bus. But with every "positive view point" on Hillary, they have no positive view point on Trump or his supporters. I want to think my fellow Americans and Deleware Vallites want to do what's right for the country. But there is nothing right about the coverage of the DNC and Hillary Clinton. The facts are not all out there, but "the feels" and the spin is always right around the corner, especially on WPVI.

Agree, although it may just be because it's "home" and they have to be all-hands-on-deck.

I'd be surprised if Rob was voting for Hillary; I've always assumed he was fairly conservative since his entire family used to be a Christian singing group, and he is very religious.

The media just does not want Trump to be president -- all the more reason I want him to win! #MakeAmericaGreatAgain!

/end political rant.

I'm pretty sire NBC 10 is also really liberal and supportive of Clinton as well, but I dont think they do it without admitting she has her faults like WPVI does.

Agree, although it may just be because it's "home" and they have to be all-hands-on-deck.

I'd be surprised if Rob was voting for Hillary; I've always assumed he was fairly conservative since his entire family used to be a Christian singing group, and he is very religious.

The media just does not want Trump to be president -- all the more reason I want him to win! #MakeAmericaGreatAgain!

/end political rant.

Only Fox News and Sinclair (who has a really good relationship with Fox) would want him to win. Other than that, I dont think much of the media wants Trump to win. However, I think both candidates are nutjobs.

The media just does not want Trump to be president -- all the more reason I want him to win! #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Yeah I agree even though either way we're screwed. Although he'd give them a lot more interesting stories to cover lol

I'm pretty sire NBC 10 is also really liberal and supportive of Clinton as well, but I dont think they do it without admitting she has her faults like WPVI does.

Only Fox News and Sinclair (who has a really good relationship with Fox) would want him to win. Other than that, I dont think much of the media wants Trump to win. However, I think both candidates are nutjobs.

Actually NBC10 has been surprisingly tame. They've covered both conventions pretty evenly. There's more to actually cover with the DNC being here so that's the only real difference which really nice seeing that their parent company is one of the major corporate sponsors of the event and owns the building it's being held in.

I guess WFMZ couldn't afford a studio, Wendy and Rob are broadcasting live from the "media tent" -- it's hard to hear them what with all the noise in the background.

They've also had, though, at least 2 reporters in Philly all week.

Jim & Melanie are anchoring the broadcast from the studio.

Maybe it's been this way all week, but I'm just tuning in now.

Rob & Wendy mentioned they were reporting from the media center due to weather conditions in Philly at the time. I assume, as like many others, their intention was to do an outdoor broadcast but Mother Nature disagreed.

WFMZ's faith-based ownership, Maranatha Broadcasting Company, surely sets the tone for their commentary, however I give them great credit for trying to deliver a REAL "Fair and Balanced" news product. On a side note, not DNC related - I am curious to see what impact Maranatha's pending purchase of KJWP in Wilmington, DE will have on the news/commentary product of Larry Mendte & Dawn Stensland-Mendte. Larry Mendte and Dick Dean don't seem to make for good bedfellows.

Rob's vacation was touring Italy as a guest member of a choir singing in churches including within Vatican City. Let's see Cleveland or Vatican? Right choice Rob on multiple levels.

WFMZ's faith-based ownership, Maranatha Broadcasting Company, surely sets the tone for their commentary, however I give them great credit for trying to deliver a REAL "Fair and Balanced" news product. On a side note, not DNC related - I am curious to see what impact Maranatha's pending purchase of KJWP in Wilmington, DE will have on the news/commentary product of Larry Mendte & Dawn Stensland-Mendte. Larry Mendte and Dick Dean don't seem to make for good bedfellows.

Mendte is quite conservative (remember his stint at the failed Merlin Media news radio station here?) so I'm sure they'll feel right at home.

Does CBS News even have a booth? Both CBS Evening News and their special tonight have been introduced from a small floor box.

I wondered the same.

CBS did have a booth at the RNC...but in Philly I guess they decided to be more embedded on the floor. http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/cbs-news-democratic-national-convention-coverage-scott-pelley-sky-box-1201824876

And this time, CBS This Morning broadcast outdoors, on a patio the National Constitution Center.

However, I swear I saw a booth for CBS at Wells Fargo Center, and I was right, but It appears it was used for CBSN.

[MEDIA=instagram]BIbYm6_DXvf[/MEDIA]

/end political rant.

I don't know anything about Rob personally. I met him in person and when we talked, he was a down-to-Earth guy. I might be out of line in thinking these conventions are a bigger news story than they are, I just thought perhaps they would have been something to schedule time off around. I'm glad to have WFMZ and I watch regularly. Their convention coverage was night and day over their partner station. There was just something about Rob's presentation of the DNC convention that was putting me off. Perhaps he had a bounce from his vacation and was making up for his time away.

WPVI and most of the rest of the media have been terrible in their coverage of the conventions. They parrot the talking points of the left and cover none of it remotely balanced. It's Trump's worst reaction in a speech played many times over vs the most positive, heart warming comments from Clinton, with commentary from the reporters and anchors. I love politics and my country. I'm so disgusted with the media that it's CSPAN or nothing at this point.

I'm curious how the stations sent back the video to the control room. Did they run a line of SDUI or fiber cable to their trucks or did they use a LiveU or something similar connected to a hard wired internet connection? I don't imagine cellular would be feasible for a broadcast in an arena where so many people were likely streaming. I could see them using a cellular as a backup as the Internet connection (not provided by Comcast) was reportedly spotty.

I'm curious how the stations sent back the video to the control room. Did they run a line of SDUI or fiber cable to their trucks or did they use a LiveU or something similar connected to a hard wired internet connection? I don't imagine cellular would be feasible for a broadcast in an arena where so many people were likely streaming. I could see them using a cellular as a backup as the Internet connection (not provided by Comcast) was reportedly spotty.

WPVI yesterday interviewed someone from the electrical union that wired the event and he said most of the broadcasters ran fiber. He said some of the runs up to the suites used thousands of feet of fiber.

WPVI yesterday interviewed someone from the electrical union that wired the event and he said most of the broadcasters ran fiber. He said some of the runs up to the suites used thousands of feet of fiber.

that would make sense, because the live hits back and forth seemed pretty flawless. Rick Williams was at the convention and Sarah Bloomquist was at the studio at noon, for example, and they were conversing as if they were next to each other. Fiber is pretty amazing like that.

Archived