the Scripps-ification thread

atlnews2

4 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Heard new music on WTMJ this morning..could be related to above (or just Daybreak-centric), but it looks like other parts of the day still have Inergy, along with the 7-day cue. WGBA is sticking with Inergy full-time for now at least.

Any video caps of the new AM Open?

EDIT 4:35am/CT: Just watched to the open. It sounds like a variant of that morning cue from Inergy, without hearing the theme's logo.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/13/2019 at 12:21 AM, kcnewsjunky said:

I had a chance to see parts of the new package the other day. A very sharp contrast from where they are now. Flat with a little texture. Didn’t get too see wx graphics though. Should be a good package. 

Saw pieces of it, too, this week. Very very blue. And very flat. Weather graphics use the cartoon-like icons, similar to Sinclair stations. Looks modern and clean. I’m happy with what I’ve seen so far. They’ve sent the style guide out to stations already. We won’t launch it until spring 2020, but others will launch well before that. 

54 minutes ago, newsguy22 said:

Saw pieces of it, too, this week. Very very blue. And very flat. Weather graphics use the cartoon-like icons, similar to Sinclair stations. Looks modern and clean. I’m happy with what I’ve seen so far. They’ve sent the style guide out to stations already. We won’t launch it until spring 2020, but others will launch well before that. 

Scripps has one of the oldest looks out there right now. If they've been smart they've analyzed the other companies' looks and determined what worked well and what didn't. I'm also curious how they determine which stations will get the look when? If you're not until next spring (which could be as late as May), how were others prioritized?

24 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Scripps has one of the oldest looks out there right now. If they've been smart they've analyzed the other companies' looks and determined what worked well and what didn't. I'm also curious how they determine which stations will get the look when? If you're not until next spring (which could be as late as May), how were others prioritized?

My station, and a few others, have to be changed over from the legacy Tribune graphics system to Chyron. That’s where the delay comes from in our case. I’d imagine most other stations will launch before then because there is no need for a technology upgrade. They’ll most likely roll out the new look when it works best for them. 

12 minutes ago, newsguy22 said:

My station, and a few others, have to be changed over from the legacy Tribune graphics system to Chyron. That’s where the delay comes from in our case. I’d imagine most other stations will launch before then because there is no need for a technology upgrade. They’ll most likely roll out the new look when it works best for them. 

Probably a lot of them after November sweeps or quietly before or after the holidays me thinks. 

I hope more customization is possible with them and that damn flying box on the left is toast.

8 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Probably a lot of them after November sweeps or quietly before or after the holidays me thinks. 

I hope more customization is possible with them and that damn flying box on the left is toast.

From what I have seen, that horrible box on the left is gone. And there will be *some* customization. I’ve been told our look will be what most of the CBS and ABC stations will use, which leads me to believe there may be some variations, albeit maybe subtle, in versions for NBC, FOX, etc. 

I think that flying box was a cool feature by 2012 standards, but now it's just distracting...especially when it has a glitch. 

Hopefully the new gfx builds on what worked in the 2012 pkg.  As long as it doesn't go full on boring and generic like Tegna did in their 2018 pkg, I'm happy.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:54 PM, newsguy22 said:

From what I have seen, that horrible box on the left is gone. And there will be *some* customization. I’ve been told our look will be what most of the CBS and ABC stations will use, which leads me to believe there may be some variations, albeit maybe subtle, in versions for NBC, FOX, etc. 

Is there going to be new music, too, or is Inergy here to stay?

8 hours ago, KCActionNews said:

A new music package is coming from Stephen Arnold 

I'm a little surprised by that.  Given the new cuts of INERGY being used by WJXT (or at least they sound new), I thought Scripps would've used that.   I look forward to hear what the new Scripps' package sounds like.  Stephen Arnold never disappoints.

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

I'm a little surprised by that.  Given the new cuts of INERGY being used by WJXT (or at least they sound new), I thought Scripps would've used that.   I look forward to hear what the new Scripps' package sounds like.  Stephen Arnold never disappoints.

They were probably pitched to Scripps and rejected. I don't think those cuts would work well with the new graphics.

5 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Honestly, those cuts of Inergy are the best I've ever heard from that package.

43 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Honestly, those cuts of Inergy are the best I've ever heard from that package.

21 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

I agree, they are very good, but they probably don't work in a flat/clean design.

I like it, as well.  I can definitely see a lot of stations using that "iNERGY" update.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:54 PM, newsguy22 said:

So going the Nexstar route where each affiliate has a unique look, or the Tegna route where it's the same package but with features that identify it as whatever affiliate?

On 11/17/2019 at 11:17 AM, KCActionNews said:

A new music package is coming from Stephen Arnold 

That's disappointing to hear. iNergy is a good pack and has aged well. I could envision it being like Impact or Tower where there's 100 different versions of it. As long as there's an NBC variant with the chimes, I'll get over it.

14 hours ago, Weeters said:

They were probably pitched to Scripps and rejected. I don't think those cuts would work well with the new graphics.

Oh, have you seen them too? I need to expand my network lol.

Word is they are launching tomorrow (Tues) on the first station.  

It is a very flat look with simple blue. It is VERY much like TEGNA. Words over a simple color or photo. They are even making the stations use an all-white version of their logo like TEGNA.  Inside Scripps, they are calling it TEGNA lite.  A few elements look nice but very limited and unprofessional as a whole package.

The rollout is such a mess with miscommunication. The person in charge is so desperate to have a station on before the end of the year that they had to scrap plans and launch first with Tallahassee because they use such a low number of graphics.  This is so unlike the Scripps of just a couple years ago. Sad.

Archived