the Scripps-ification thread

atlnews2

More than a year after adopting the Scripps news graphics, KTNV has adopted the Scripps "Morning Blend" graphics package, replacing the Journal "Blend" package they've used since the show's launch.

The show's logo has also been updated to be localized ("Las Vegas Morning Blend") vs the generic "The Morning Blend" logo Journal used at all its Blends.

Now if only WTMJ would do the same...

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As of September 2017, WRTV is still using Chyron.

And except for the weather graphics, KGUN has not even switched yet. They are the WLUK of the group (although WLUK just got the Sinclair graphics and will eventually switch to the Sinclair music package).

I just checked KMGH. They are still using Chyron as of August 2017. I'm not sure about KERO, though. Has KNXV also switched?

Trust me, both WMAR and WCPO each had the same graphics for 7 years before standardization (both started using their legacy graphics in 2002). Even after WMAR switched to Target News in 2007 (due to the SESAC dispute--WMAR previously used Convergence) and WCPO went HD the same year, both stations used the same graphics, and WCPO also used the same music during the 7 years their legacy graphics were used. WCPO used the 2009 Scripps package the longest, as they were the first to switch to it and last to retire it, and WMAR was the last station to get the 2009 Scripps package (although since then they have bought out the McGraw-Hill stations, and WRTV--one of them, used the 2009 Scripps music package for their closes from January-September 2012).

I still don't know whether or not KNXV has switched. I watched KNXV yesterday, and like WKBW, they are using the updated L3s, making it hard to tell whether KNXV has switched or not. Is KERO still using Chyron?

More than a year after adopting the Scripps news graphics, KTNV has adopted the Scripps "Morning Blend" graphics package, replacing the Journal "Blend" package they've used since the show's launch.

The show's logo has also been updated to be localized ("Las Vegas Morning Blend") vs the generic "The Morning Blend" logo Journal used at all its Blends.

Now if only WTMJ would do the same...

Obviously, KGUN also still uses the Journal "Blend" graphics because their news graphics (except weather) are still status quo. Which ex-Journal stations (other than KTNV) are using the Scripps "Blend" graphics, and which (other than WTMJ and KGUN) are not?

• 2 weeks later...
Obviously, KGUN also still uses the Journal "Blend" graphics because their news graphics (except weather) are still status quo. Which ex-Journal stations (other than KTNV) are using the Scripps "Blend" graphics, and which (other than WTMJ and KGUN) are not?

WFTS uses the Scripps "Blend" graphics and it is called Tampa Bay Morning Blend. I did not know that Scripps was pushing "Blend" to its legacy stations. KMTV uses graphics that are different from any other "Blend". They got them in 2014 (when they were still a Journal station).

UPDATE: I just found out that KNXV's Sonoran Living is using the Scripps "Blend" graphics without the Blend name.

Stations not listed below do not have "Blend" or similar shows.

Stations using Journal "Blend" graphics:

WTMJ

WSYM

Stations using Scripps "Blend" graphics:

KTNV

WFTX

WFTS

KGUN

KNXV

Stations using other graphics:

KMTV

WKBW (AM Bflo; yellow Scripps news graphics)

WFTS uses the Scripps "Blend" graphics and it is called Tampa Bay Morning Blend. I did not know that Scripps was pushing "Blend" to its legacy stations. KMTV uses graphics that are different from any other "Blend". They got them in 2014 (when they were still a Journal station).

Stations not listed below do not have "Blend".

Stations using Journal "Blend" graphics:

WTMJ

KGUN

KIVI

WTVF

WGBA

Stations using Scripps "Blend" graphics:

KTNV

WFTX

WFTS

Stations using other graphics:

KMTV

WSYM

this list is full of mistakes...

KIVI, WTVF, and WGBA have never had the morning blend... and KGUN is in fact using the scripps morning blend pkg http://www.kgun9.com/morning-blend/ymca-military-breakfast-to-honor-local-veterans

WSYM is using the old journal package... http://www.fox47news.com/morningblend

hard to imagine why this site frowns on lists... ;):rolleyes::D

KIVI, WTVF, and WGBA have never had the morning blend... and KGUN is in fact using the scripps morning blend pkg http://www.kgun9.com/morning-blend/ymca-military-breakfast-to-honor-local-veterans

WSYM is using the old journal package... http://www.fox47news.com/morningblend

hard to imagine why this site frowns on lists... ;):rolleyes::D

I fixed it with your information.

KIVI, WTVF, and WGBA have never had the morning blend

WGBA technically had the Milwaukee Morning Blend when it launched, but like the "Bill Berra thinks Milwaukee morning news in Green Bay will work" idea from 2008-09, it was pulled a year later because no, Green Bay viewers don't watch Milwaukee news.

• 2 weeks later...

All Scripps stations are using VizRT, except the ex-MGH stations (including KERO), WEWS, and WKBW, which still use Chyron. As a bonus, KERO introduced a new logo last month, and KJRH is using a variation of the Scripps L3s in which the top bar is red. To see the new KERO logo, check their latest videos or go to www.turnto23.com

As a bonus, KERO introduced a new logo last month

It's actually pretty sharp looking, but I don't know about the flat ABC instead of the gradient logo, which seems like a perfect match for the '23'.

23_logo_RED.02.png

• 1 month later...

Non-Scripps-owned KNBN now has the Scripps graphics, which are now syndicated (but no Inergy).

Your turn, WNEM. And, of, course, Scripps' KGUN.

https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/knbn-new-graphics.16497

Maybe a sign of Scripps getting a new graphics package. They just have to wait until KGUN completely gets them and the last 6 stations (the ex-MGH stations, WEWS, and WKBW) get VizRT.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump a month-old thread, but it's 2018, and KGUN has STILL not been completely Scripps-ified yet. What's taking them so long?

I hope Scripps introduces a new graphics package in 2018. It would probably be next month at the latest, starting with their NBC stations. Next month will be a big month for NBC with BOTH the Olympics and the Super Bowl. TEGNA has started to roll out a new graphics package last month, starting with their NBC stations, and the same applied to Hearst a few days ago, also starting with their NBC stations.

(On a side note, in addition to the Scripps graphics on KNBN now, Cox's WJAX/WFOX launched a new graphics package last October that is very similar to Scripps'.)

Kjrh here in Tulsa, Oklahoma has been working on a new graphics package but haven’t debuted it yet and when I’ve asked a few people I know at channel 2 they wouldn’t tell me anything about it and they just recently updated the set to blue backdrops and more tv monitors in the studio.

Does WTMJ has the Scripps Morning Blend graphics now?

Anyways, here are pictures of the Scripps "Morning Blend" L3s on KNXV's Sonoran Living:

blend1.PNG.85289405de3e7c3d3e6e6375c4b14273.PNG

blend2.PNG.032c8c04de294f65095099d4588bff2e.PNG

Lower third from WKBW's AM Bflo using a yellow version of the Scripps graphics:

1091435054_ambflo.PNG.711f40493cee97c862a007b1ea72081c.PNG

Does WTMJ has the Scripps Morning Blend graphics now?

Anyways, here are pictures of the Scripps "Morning Blend" L3s on KNXV's Sonoran Living:

[ATTACH=full]5332[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]5333[/ATTACH]

Lower third from WKBW's AM Bflo using a yellow version of the Scripps graphics:

[ATTACH=full]5334[/ATTACH]

You could check their Youtube and figure it out for yourself...

Technically, the graphics were on Sonoran Living first, and recycled onto the Blend shows.

Sooooo there is a god!

Kjrh here in Tulsa, Oklahoma has been working on a new graphics package but haven’t debuted it yet and when I’ve asked a few people I know at channel 2 they wouldn’t tell me anything about it and they just recently updated the set to blue backdrops and more tv monitors in the studio.

WTMJ's "Blend" still uses the Journal "Blend" package.

Seems like Scripps will finally get a new graphics package! And since this is your first post, welcome to the site!

Hold up.

If we're talking about these graphics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn0FrgkP8D0

I find it hard to believe that the entire Scripps station group is going to launch a graphics package clearly ripped off from the Today show...

This is a one-off, nothing more.

And I honestly don't think I've ever seen that on-air yet either.

Of course, if there is a change, we'll most likely see it next week.

I doubt it will be next week they posted that back in November when they started upgrading the studio to all blue background but it would be interesting to see if they do go to that graphics package fully

A largely obscured duratran that looks similar to a random YouTube video posted months ago is a bit of a stretch for a new graphics package... Especially since similar round elements appear in other Scripps graphics (i.e. The Now) and they’re no stranger to recycling graphics elements.

All I’m saying is don’t expect much, if you expect anything at all.

I don't think that KJRH open will ever air. It looks to me like a Today Show-inspired concept that would be just for the morning show. It is interesting to me that the traditionally red 2 logo is blue, like the new one on their desk. Again though, I doubt the concept ever makes it to air. I hope it does, though.

important thing to know here is that the scripps graphics hub is not as strict as the other groups with hubbed graphics... when it comes to having different looks, at least...

news itself has several looks: news, breaking news, sports, political/elections...

there's a variation of the news look for don't waste your money...

weather and traffic have a look, and each station implements those a little differently...

there's the infotainment show look (sonoran living/the morning blend) which itself comes in orange and another station was using a blue version, but i can't remember which one that is...

there's a lot of little customized looks for different stations, like this comic book look for a segment in cleveland... or could it be the new company gfx package?????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

there's the now look...

there's the in focus/wisconsin tonight look (note the glass box on the wisconsin tonight bug seems to still have the infocus branding ghosted inside it)..

and there's plenty more different looks at all of their stations that i don't have the time or effort to track down... like how wfts has the yellow bar in the lower third in the mornings...

so all this might be is another look...

I don't think that KJRH open will ever air. It looks to me like a Today Show-inspired concept that would be just for the morning show. It is interesting to me that the traditionally red 2 logo is blue, like the new one on their desk. Again though, I doubt the concept ever makes it to air. I hope it does, though.

Plus, that was posted in September of last year. It surely would have launched by now if it was going to.

That cut of iNergy seems totally out of place given the graphics. Nothing in it implies it's on an NBC affiliate, and the dark, serious look clashes with the kind of upbeat, positive sound.

Archived