the Scripps-ification thread

atlnews2

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't hold your breath for Lansing -- they barely have a news program as it is.. plus their meteorologists also work for Gray-owned WILX... Also their weather graphics are the "Gray-ified" graphics that WILX uses... So yeah not happening

However, WSYM could get the option to switch production of their news to their Detroit sister station they recently got, WXYZ. They could get the Scripps graphics soon if they switch production. You might have not known that in Detroit, Graham Media Group's WDIV now has Scripps-ish news opens but WXYZ still keeps living with the Scripps graphics. In Phoenix, KNXV also still keeps living with the Scripps graphics, but until they rebranded lately, Meredith's KPHO used Scripps-ish lower thirds. This had begun around 2016. As for Tucson, with KGUN now having the Scripps graphics for their weather graphics only, they're most likely going to be the next station to be Scripps-ified. KNIN might get WFLX's version of the Scripps graphics, with Extreme by SAM and colors from an old Raycom graphics package.

However, WSYM could get the option to switch production of their news to their Detroit sister station they recently got, WXYZ. They could get the Scripps graphics soon if they switch production. You might have not known that in Detroit, Graham Media Group's WDIV now has Scripps-ish news opens but WXYZ still keeps living with the Scripps graphics. In Phoenix, KNXV also still keeps living with the Scripps graphics, but until they rebranded lately, Meredith's KPHO used Scripps-ish lower thirds. This had begun around 2016. As for Tucson, with KGUN now having the Scripps graphics for their weather graphics only, they're most likely going to be the next station to be Scripps-ified. KNIN might get WFLX's version of the Scripps graphics, with Extreme by SAM and colors from an old Raycom graphics package.

There would be absolutely no reason to outsource the Lansing News to WXYZ...

WXYZ got new opens to mimic WDIV's not the other way around.

• 4 weeks later...
At this rate, they should just have a duopoly of WILX/WSYW make it 10.1 for WILX and 10.2 for WSYW since they're using WILX-esque graphics... Have Scripps give Gray WSYW -- if they are going to outsource news & weather, might as well go all the way...

Sorry for bumping a discussion that's almost a month old; but it's WSYM, not WSYW. Speaking of graphics, after the current Scripps graphics are completely rolled out in Tucson and Boise, it might be about time for the Scripps graphics to change, considering that WXYZ has a new, flat live bug and a new, flat style of promos is being used at Scripps' stations in Phoenix, Detroit and Buffalo.

• 3 weeks later...

Do those stations also have the graphics? The current package is coming up on 5 years old now. While the Journal stations have only had them for a year or two, the original Scripps group has had them for five. It's stupid to expect "fairness," but let's assume they keep this look for another two years. It's not really fair that a minority of stations is forced to keep a dated look for 7 or 8 years while others only get it for like, 3, before upgrading.

Do those stations also have the graphics? The current package is coming up on 5 years old now. While the Journal stations have only had them for a year or two, the original Scripps group has had them for five. It's stupid to expect "fairness," but let's assume they keep this look for another two years. It's not really fair that a minority of stations is forced to keep a dated look for 7 or 8 years while others only get it for like, 3, before upgrading.

Probably. Tucson now is the only market due for Scripps-ification (the weather graphics are already Scripps-ified). I was expecting KNIN to get the WFLX version of the package and Extreme.

UPDATE: Lately, I found out that like with WFLX, KNIN uses Extreme, not Inergy (according to the NMSA). They may be using WFLX's version of the graphics; however, I currently don't know. KIVI, but not KNIN, uses Inergy. That means for music (and maybe graphics), Boise has a similar situation to West Palm Beach regarding Scripps.

and many of the journal stations are switching off graphics they have used for 7 or 8 years...

i know it's on this forum somewhere but i will repeat it here: there is more going on than switching the journal stations to the new graphics... scripps is converting all the "legacy" stations to VizRT too, which is a huge undertaking... they have bigger things to focus on than getting new graphics because some kids on this website think they should... i think the plan was to finish the conversions by the end of this year...

i would say a new graphics package is at least a year away... maybe longer... they're not going to support two graphics packages just to be "fair"... this is local tv... nothing is "fair"... plus scripps still likes these graphics, and like hearst, slapped them on everything they own...

and many of the journal stations are switching off graphics they have used for 7 or 8 years...

i know it's on this forum somewhere but i will repeat it here: there is more going on than switching the journal stations to the new graphics... scripps is converting all the "legacy" stations to VizRT too, which is a huge undertaking... they have bigger things to focus on than getting new graphics because some kids on this website think they should... i think the plan was to finish the conversions by the end of this year...

i would say a new graphics package is at least a year away... maybe longer... they're not going to support two graphics packages just to be "fair"... this is local tv... nothing is "fair"... plus scripps still likes these graphics, and like hearst, slapped them on everything they own...

Yes, I understand that, hence why I said it's "stupid to expect 'fairness'".

Which of the legacy and ex-McGraw-Hill stations still use Chyron and not VizRT?

• 3 months later...
Which of the legacy and ex-McGraw-Hill stations still use Chyron and not VizRT?

Sorry for bumping a 3 month old thread, but I haven't seen a response yet; has WKBW also switched to VizRT? Once all the legacy and ex-MGH stations as well as WKBW switches to VizRT and KGUN completely rolls out the Scripps graphics, Scripps could start thinking about a new package, considering a new, flat promo style is now being used on KNXV, WXYZ, and WKBW, the use of a new, flat live bug on WXYZ, and new opens on KMGH that are nothing like the Scripps graphics.

Sorry for bumping a 3 month old thread, but I haven't seen a response yet; has WKBW also switched to VizRT? Once all the legacy and ex-MGH stations as well as WKBW switches to VizRT and KGUN completely rolls out the Scripps graphics, Scripps could start thinking about a new package, considering a new, flat promo style is now being used on KNXV, WXYZ, and WKBW, the use of a new, flat live bug on WXYZ, and new opens on KMGH that are nothing like the Scripps graphics.

Have you consulted their YouTube channel and the Viz/Chyron key?

Quite a few. Remember, there's an easy way to see who still has Chyron and who has Viz:

[ATTACH=full]3157[/ATTACH]

Bright top bar, fatter font = Chyron

[ATTACH=full]3158[/ATTACH]

Darker top bar and thinner, stretched font = Viz

Saw a clip from KGTV that still used the brighter top line the other day, so there's still at least one station that hasn't switched... probably a few more but I'm too lazy to look (and also completely uninterested)

Have you consulted their YouTube channel and the Viz/Chyron key?

Saw a clip from KGTV that still used the brighter top line the other day, so there's still at least one station that hasn't switched... probably a few more but I'm too lazy to look (and also completely uninterested)

I checked WKBW. I'm not sure what they're using because they switched to updated lower thirds which are completely white with a blue top line. Are they still hubbed out of their Atlanta master? I know all the ex-Journal stations and some of the legacy stations (i.e. WFTS, WXYZ, WCPO) are using VizRT while KGTV is still using Chyron. Scripps also might want to add WKBW and the ex-Journal stations to their Tampa graphics hub and Indianapolis master control hub, as well as closing the secondary graphics hub at WTMJ used for creating graphics for themselves and KTNV. The connection from WTMJ to WGBA via fiber won't go away.

I checked WKBW. I'm not sure what they're using because they switched to updated lower thirds which are completely white with a blue top line. Are they still hubbed out of their Atlanta master? I know all the ex-Journal stations and some of the legacy stations (i.e. WFTS, WXYZ, WCPO) are using VizRT while KGTV is still using Chyron. Scripps also might want to add WKBW and the ex-Journal stations to their Tampa graphics hub and Indianapolis master control hub, as well as closing the secondary graphics hub at WTMJ used for creating graphics for themselves and KTNV. The connection from WTMJ to WGBA via fiber won't go away.

As of a month ago, the yellow top bar was still the Chyron variant.

Master control and the secondary Milwaukee "hub" really don't have anything to do with this conversation so I'm not sure why you're mentioning them, but ok.

KGTV is such a train wreck right now, I doubt they're even worried about getting on-board the VizRT system.

Hell, they still have the glossy ABC logo plastered all over the set's monitors and they haven't used that logo in almost 3-4 years... So fixing graphics is probably the least of their worries.

I think these are KABCesque graphics that aired this AM on Good Morning Maryland. Maybe I haven’t paid attention but I don’t recall seeing this before.

[ATTACH=full]4607[/ATTACH]

Probably just a custom package for the special. The glass box around the logo is from the current news package, so...

There's a strong desire for Scripps to get a new package it seems lol

It is 5 now so it’s getting long in the tooth... it’s impressively versatile and has aged well though... I think there’s a certain interest in what’s new... I fear 100% flat will be it though...

It is 5 now so it’s getting long in the tooth... it’s impressively versatile and has aged well though... I think there’s a certain interest in what’s new... I fear 100% flat will be it though...

I think it's time to accept that we won't be seeing a new Scripps package for at least two more years. These Journal stations just got the look.

As of September 2017, WRTV is still using Chyron.

I think it's time to accept that we won't be seeing a new Scripps package for at least two more years. These Journal stations just got the look.

And except for the weather graphics, KGUN has not even switched yet. They are the WLUK of the group (although WLUK just got the Sinclair graphics and will eventually switch to the Sinclair music package).

I just checked KMGH. They are still using Chyron as of August 2017. I'm not sure about KERO, though. Has KNXV also switched?

Trust me, both WMAR and WCPO each had the same graphics for 7 years before standardization (both started using their legacy graphics in 2002). Even after WMAR switched to Target News in 2007 (due to the SESAC dispute--WMAR previously used Convergence) and WCPO went HD the same year, both stations used the same graphics, and WCPO also used the same music during the 7 years their legacy graphics were used. WCPO used the 2009 Scripps package the longest, as they were the first to switch to it and last to retire it, and WMAR was the last station to get the 2009 Scripps package (although since then they have bought out the McGraw-Hill stations, and WRTV--one of them, used the 2009 Scripps music package for their closes from January-September 2012).

Archived