the Scripps-ification thread

atlnews2

This thread is to talk about the Scripps graphics being rolled out to the former Journal stations.

KTNV is now the 3rd ex-Journal station to get the graphics

here they are in action

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's really petty, but I wish Scripps had just taken the time to have a new package built and launched it across all of their stations, new and old.

Absolutely. The package is already 4 years old, and by the time the other Journal stations get them, and they finish upgrading the existing stations to Viz... It could be, what, another year?

Absolutely. The package is already 4 years old, and by the time the other Journal stations get them, and they finish upgrading the existing stations to Viz... It could be, what, another year?

It may be not long after the last station is switched to VIZ that they roll a new package out... This may just be a placeholder in the meantime.

It may be not long after the last station is switched to VIZ that they roll a new package out... This may just be a placeholder in the meantime.

Do you know how many stations still need to upgrade to VIZ? And is there a time frame as to when Scripps wants everyone switched over?

Then there's the question of how long Scripps plans on keeping the package around once all of the Journal stations make the switch. 4 years minimum? If that's so, the existing Scripps stations would have had the package for 8 years. I get that Scripps is ridiculously cheap, but geez. My hope is that they'll allow the old stations to upgrade and the new ones keep the current.

I shudder at the thought of V1 still being around. The only reason why they got rid of that was because of the NBC affiliates needing everything upped to 1080 right?

Do you know how many stations still need to upgrade to VIZ?

And is there a time frame as to when Scripps wants everyone switched over?

Quite a few. Remember, there's an easy way to see who still has Chyron and who has Viz:

chyron.PNG.4bcd53d36b65c75b2e7790ac6294947b.PNG

Bright top bar, fatter font = Chyron

Viz.PNG.dc4f0e3af5c10b76879f24e0a9cdb87c.PNG

Darker top bar and thinner, stretched font = Viz

The Chyron example came from WMAR, so they're one of the many left to convert.

Then there's the question of how long Scripps plans on keeping the package around once all of the Journal stations make the switch. 4 years minimum? If that's so, the existing Scripps stations would have had the package for 8 years. I get that Scripps is ridiculously cheap, but geez. My hope is that they'll allow the old stations to upgrade and the new ones keep the current.

I shudder at the thought of V1 still being around. The only reason why they got rid of that was because of the NBC affiliates needing everything upped to 1080 right?

They probably won't get a new graphics package until everyone is on Viz, which could take a few years. Not everyone has old Chyron equipment (WKBW comes to mind) so some may be more hesitant to spend a lot of money on Viz when they current Chyron systems are still working fine.

It's probably time to accept the fact that a new Scripps graphics package is about two or three years away.

Quite a few. Remember, there's an easy way to see who still has Chyron and who has Viz:

[ATTACH=full]3157[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]3158[/ATTACH]

They probably won't get a new graphics package until everyone is on Viz, which could take a few years. Not everyone has old Chyron equipment (WKBW comes to mind) so some may be more hesitant to spend a lot of money on Viz when they current Chyron systems are still working fine.

It's probably time to accept the fact that a new Scripps graphics package is about two or three years away.

How exactly could you tell the difference between the installations? Is there some sort of way each system handles the animations or is it just the subtle difference in things like the top bar?

so some may be more hesitant to spend a lot of money on Viz when they current Chyron systems are still working fine.

Why wouldn't Scripps help with the cost? Are you saying that they're telling everyone "hey we want all of our stations to use Viz for our graphics so go drop a few grand on it. We're not gonna help though so if you're a poor station then lol good luck."?

Why wouldn't Scripps help with the cost? Are you saying that they're telling everyone "hey we want all of our stations to use Viz for our graphics so go drop a few grand on it. We're not gonna help though so if you're a poor station then lol good luck."?

I imagine they'd have to drop atleast $100K on hardware then God knows how much on the software licenses to get the best use out of it. They'd likely have to spend a million just to get all their stations the tools necessary then how ever much training will cost.

Do you know how many stations still need to upgrade to VIZ? And is there a time frame as to when Scripps wants everyone switched over?

I assume many of the original Scripps stations do... WXYZ still does but they seem to be the last to do everything. Maybe it's alphabetical...

Heck, 1/2 of WXYZ's weather graphics are from the previous "golden" package.. Mix & match of fonts and the weather banners at the top aren't all the same either...

Only the red first alert thingy actually is from that package... The rest is WSI graphical updates for all the maps and stuff. They would happened independent of the stations weather graphics...

[ATTACH=full]3157[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]3158[/ATTACH]

The Chyron example came from WMAR, so they're one of the many left to convert.

It should be noted that WKBW's master control is still out of the Atlanta facility Granite leased with back in 2011 (when the station's HD conversion took place). It would be safe to assume that their Chryon equipment is that old... or maybe it isn't (we ARE talking about Granite, after all).

Which makes me wonder now: how are the master controls for the legacy Journal stations handled? Are they already hubbed or still run at their respective studios?

• 6 months later...

Looks like the Scripps GFX pack, Inergy and an uninspired set has landed on

KGUN could be the closest one to implement the new GFX next. You would think after KTNV implemented theirs that KGUN would fully switch to the new GFX (It's been months since they've been using it for weather). That would leave KIVI & KMTV. Not sure if WSYM would get it (since Gray's WILX produces WSYM's 10pm show).

Which makes me wonder now: how are the master controls for the legacy Journal stations handled? Are they already hubbed or still run at their respective studios?

WGBA/WACY are still hubbed out of WTMJ, and I wouldn't expect that to change at all.

WGBA/WACY are still hubbed out of WTMJ, and I wouldn't expect that to change at all.

not the first time i've heard this, but this is wrong... the only stations in TMJ's master are WTMJ and it's subchannels, the Milwaukee radio cluster, and the sports radio networks... no other station has run out of 720 E. Capitol since WPXE was briefly operated by Journal.

WGBA (and WISC for some reason) are connected to WTMJ via fiber for news sharing, and GBA has the capability to rebroadcast WTMJ if that is necessary... the fiber works both ways so this could be reversed (WTMJ airing WGBA) in an emergency.

journal had hubbing plans but never really got anywhere with them (surprise...) the extent of TMJ's hubbing is doing daily news graphics for KTNV (this position is open right now, must have burned out another designer...) and some infrequent work for other ex-journal stations that the scripps hub doesn't want to deal with.

WFTX is another scripps stations with a virtual set joining KIVI and WGBA.

The last poster is correct WGBA and WACY was never hubbed out of Milwaukee. There might have been talk of hubbing but in was never serious and there where some people at Journal that were totally against it. Before Journal owned WGBA, WTMJ had a news sharing agreement with WFRV also, most likely because they were all number 1 or 2 in the ratings and had more resources. WITI sill might a news sharing agreement with WMTV and still does with WLUK, WISN has one with WBAY and WKOW and WDJT didn't have one with any Green Bay or Madison station.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Lansing, Boise, and Tucson are currently due for Scripps-ification. (The weather graphics on KGUN have already been Scripps-ified)

Don't hold your breath for Lansing -- they barely have a news program as it is.. plus their meteorologists also work for Gray-owned WILX... Also their weather graphics are the "Gray-ified" graphics that WILX uses... So yeah not happening

Don't hold your breath for Lansing -- they barely have a news program as it is.. plus their meteorologists also work for Gray-owned WILX... Also their weather graphics are the "Gray-ified" graphics that WILX uses... So yeah not happening

Yeah since their news is outsourced this is a nonstarter...

Archived