Ailes Resigns From Fox News

MidwestTV

Due to recent sexual harassment allegations from women former and present at the network. Started a new thread about this per the suggestion of @mre29. What do you think this means for the future of the network, in addition to those rumors that Hannity and O'Reilly would consider leaving if Ailes left? It will be interesting to see how FNC reports on it [URL]http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/roger-ailes-resigns/299899[/URL]

Fox News reported on the story at the top of the 5pm (cst) hour before going into convention coverage. They said the resignation was effective immediately and came due to the results of the internal investigation of other female employees.

I wouldn't expect anyone to leave right away given there really isn't another viable cable news network they can go to other than CNN or MSNBC. As far as FNC/FBN is concerned, they likely will stay the course until James and Lachlan decide what the next steps are.

I think after this scandal, IMO, the network will gradually revamp it's programming, schedule and political stance. Just a bit.

-After the MANY ridiculous moments of racism, sexism, xenophobia, stupidity and and yelling (aka "pandering to it's audience") over the years, it's time to gradually shift it's leaning.

--Also, if some of the personalities walk out with Uncle Pervy like it was reported, just find new anchors and reporters [either from within or from outside] to replace them. (it'll take a while, but yeah.)

-Remove some hour-long programming on the mornings or between 12 and 3 and put in America's News HQ in weekdays.

-Those on the evening drive who want to stay with the network can keep their shows.

-Pre-recorded newshours or a simucast of Sky News after midnight (outside of Red Eye, of course ;-) ).

-LET THE LADIES WEAR PANTS SHOULD THEY CHOOSE TO.

-Bring in desks that cover the anchors'...assets.

And...-Less Oliver North. (Oh, no reason...)

So...basically an Americanized Sky News of a sort. That's just my thoughts.

I think after this scandal, IMO, the network will gradually revamp it's programming, schedule and political stance. Just a bit.

-After the MANY ridiculous moments of racism, sexism, xenophobia, stupidity and and yelling (aka "pandering to it's audience") over the years, it's time to gradually shift it's leaning.

--Also, if some of the personalities walk out with Uncle Pervy like it was reported, just find new anchors and reporters [either from within or from outside] to replace them. (it'll take a while, but yeah.)

-Remove some hour-long programming on the mornings or between 12 and 3 and put in America's News HQ in weekdays.

-Those on the evening drive who want to stay with the network can keep their shows.

-Pre-recorded newshours or a simucast of Sky News after midnight (outside of Red Eye, of course ;-) ).

-LET THE LADIES WEAR PANTS SHOULD THEY CHOOSE TO.

-Bring in desks that cover the anchors'...assets.

And...-Less Oliver North. (Oh, no reason...)

So...basically an Americanized Sky News of a sort. That's just my thoughts.

I would add former UN Ambassador John Bolton to the list too. The sooner he's gone, the better.

Any changes will not happen until after the election, especially with incredibly iron-clad non-compete agreements and Fox News's domination making any move to another network laughable. Not talking CNN or MSNBC, but 'competitors' One America News or NewsmaxTV; those networks have no reputations (much less budgets) and very limited audience reach (even RSBN online has at least gotten some respect and props). And judging from Glenn Beck's stance on the election talent moves to The Blaze would be full of drama of all kinds.

Fox Business though, that's a bit more open now. Their primetime outside of Kennedy is pretty dull and without Ailes there to keep his preferred people in, I could see that getting a few changes soon.

Any changes will not happen until after the election, especially with incredibly iron-clad non-compete agreements and Fox News's domination making any move to another network laughable. Not talking CNN or MSNBC, but 'competitors' One America News or NewsmaxTV; those networks have no reputations (much less budgets) and very limited audience reach (even RSBN online has at least gotten some respect and props). And judging from Glenn Beck's stance on the election talent moves to The Blaze would be full of drama of all kinds.

Fox Business though, that's a bit more open now. Their primetime outside of Kennedy is pretty dull and without Ailes there to keep his preferred people in, I could see that getting a few changes soon.

No real reason to change anything given the solid #1 rating across the board.

Now if anyone wants to have a real discussion about "sleeping your way to the top" then consider all the female and male talent that HAS/have traded sexual favors in order to advance.

They are at every network...and Ailes is just the tip if the iceberg.

Does the industry REALLy want to go down this road?

We could have a real juicy start with Male anchors/ reporters and Male News Directors and GM's.

How about disclosing the names of the females that DID sleep with Ailes for advancement?

There are plenty out there...and it's not just Ailes or FOX.

Fascinating article from The New York Times on how prevalent sexual harassment is over at Fox News. The article mentions that it was just not Roger Ailes committing offenses but producers and other managers as well. One woman was pressured to go on a date with a producer, after two dates cut it off and suddenly wasn't booked on the persons show anymore. Apparently managers have tried setting up dates with their employees for their supervisors. One person walked into a dark office to find a junior level employee performing oral sex on a superior. Another employee asked to be put on assignment but was given the condition of performing oral sex but she laughed it off and left.

I think Fox News needs to find out every employees experiences with sexual harassment with out fear of reprisal and clean house from there. It will be tough but they need to get out the bad apples and try to instill a new corporate culture. It will be tough but they not only have an HR problem they have a PR problem and action needs to be taken.

Wow. No wonder Fox News is what it is. I mean I guess that explains why Stacey Dash is a contributor.

But seriously, this is a very shocking read there. I mean, I've read about reporters getting desperate for a big scoop in some news stories before, but this is certainly jaw-dropping.

I hope Rupert and the Murdoch sons clean house after the Ailes resignation and hire competent serious and eruodite higher-ups and producers. For once, I actually want it to stop looking like the laughingstock of cable news for a change (even if that's not gonna happen anytime soon).

Wow. No wonder Fox News is what it is. I mean I guess that explains why Stacey Dash is a contributor.

But seriously, this is a very shocking read there. I mean, I've read about reporters getting desperate for a big scoop in some news stories before, but this is certainly jaw-dropping.

I hope Rupert and the Murdoch sons clean house after the Ailes resignation and hire competent serious and eruodite higher-ups and producers. For once, I actually want it to stop looking like the laughingstock of cable news for a change (even if that's not gonna happen anytime soon).

The very same problems exist at ABC,CBS, NBC and CNN at about the same level.

It's nothing new...and it's existed since TV was born.

FOX is not unique by any stretch of the imagination.

Remember one thing...

The same people bounce around all 5 networks equilly . The casting couch is everywhere still because both sides participate as equals....male and female.

Very insightful show this morning on Reliable Sources. The claims are this could spread to other top executives who were well aware of the allegations against Ailes and chose not to speak up but however cover up for him. Also, many of them could have been involved in the same activities as Ailes.

Very insightful show this morning on Reliable Sources. The claims are this could spread to other top executives who were well aware of the allegations against Ailes and chose not to speak up but however cover up for him. Also, many of them could have been involved in the same activities as Ailes.

Cue Gloria Allred

gloria.jpg.b5844040e51ac02ee26e7260dfa7cd4e.jpg

Let's be real it goes on anywhere and everywhere.. It's happened where I work (not even in TV) and nothing happened until the lower level employee didn't get what they wanted and reported everything. TV news in general is infamous for this and the only reason it's all coming out is because Carlson let it be known. If people like what they see on TV (which remember, FOX is in 1st place) things aren't going to change. As long as on air names aren't released they'll still have jobs. It's sad, but the people most affected will be those we don't see and they are the families

• 2 weeks later...
Any changes will not happen until after the election, especially with incredibly iron-clad non-compete agreements and Fox News's domination making any move to another network laughable.

Apparently (and sadly), that's what will happen.

The Brothers Murdoch have announced in a conference call to WSJ that the Fox News brand will not change for the foreseeable future, during the search for a replacement for the outgoing Ailes.

“There’s no desire or need to shift the position that it has in the market,” said Executive Chairman Lachlan Murdoch. “It’s a very successful business and we’re just undergoing a transition to new leadership.”

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-fox-news-murdochs-20160803-snap-story.html

I get it now. The ratings are huge (bigger than ever) and they need to keep them that way even after the Election. I thought they wanted a revamp though.

Apparently (and sadly), that's what will happen.

The Brothers Murdoch have announced in a conference call to WSJ that the Fox News brand will not change for the foreseeable future, during the search for a replacement for the outgoing Ailes.

“There’s no desire or need to shift the position that it has in the market,” said Executive Chairman Lachlan Murdoch. “It’s a very successful business and we’re just undergoing a transition to new leadership.”

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-fox-news-murdochs-20160803-snap-story.html

I get it now. The ratings are huge (bigger than ever) and they need to keep them that way even after the Election. I thought they wanted a revamp though.

TBH, they would be nuts to immediately do anything at this point in time. It's only when the election ends and the expected drop-off in viewership takes place...

Yes, Fox News dominates the ratings. But they skew old... Bill O'Reilly's demos average in the mid-to-late 60s. It's as bad as talk radio.

Archived