KBJR has a new set...

TheRolyPoly

A new set doesn't always mean a new logo, but thanks to the recent purchase of KBJR by Quincy Media, a new logo was given.

The logo looks very ugly now but I guess this is for a possible August 1st relaunch of KBJR and KDLH as KBJR gets NBC on 6.1, CBS on 6.2 and MyTV on 6.3 with The CW on KDLH 3.1

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154466913631337

The logo would've worked much better if that diagonal slice was in line with the diagonal of the 6 rather than corner to corner. It looks off otherwise. And that little, tiny slice of white within the 6 is maddening.

I'm sorry, but that's a crap logo for KBJR. The brick does look a little clunky but I understand that they did it to give the set a "Northland" feel. I have a million-dollar question: Did KBJR FINALLY go HD?

I'm sorry, but that's a crap logo for KBJR. The brick does look a little clunky but I understand that they did it to give the set a "Northland" feel. I have a million-dollar question: Did KBJR FINALLY go HD?

Looks like they wanted to go the WTVJ route. I think the WTVJ logo looks really nice and they could have done something similar if they ditched the triangle.

The set looks nice for the market size. I wonder if the background on the screens is a live feed?

Another case of fixing what isn't broken; at least using one of the Peacock feathers as the focal point of their former logo was pretty unique and not another case of Gotham Abuse (which has quickly gotten even more terrible than the Bank Gothic Plague of the 90's and Bell Centennial/Roadsign Font Overuse Syndrome of the 2000s in news graphics design). And I'm getting the feeling that Range 11 is going to disappear pretty quickly as any branding and will only be mentioned in the legal ID from hereon out. Meanwhile, WDIO over there is like 'nothing wrong with our logo from 1975...we're keeping it'.

At least with Quincy KBJR is finally leaving their time-warp they've been stuck in no thanks to Granite; they've always seemed to be ten years behind the times.

The logo looks very ugly now but I guess this is for a possible August 1st relaunch of KBJR and KDLH as KBJR gets NBC on 6.1, CBS on 6.2 and MyTV on 6.3 with The CW on KDLH 3.1

More info from NorthPine:

MINNESOTA/WISCONSIN:

Quincy Newspapers has begun to implement changes at its recently-acquired TV operation in Duluth, with changes to newscasts and a longtime network affiliation set to move in a few weeks.

Announcements are now running saying that CBS will move from KDLH/3.1 (Duluth) to KBJR/6.2 (Superior-Duluth) at 10 a.m. on Aug. 1, though CBS will retain its channel 3 position on cable and satellite. KDLH, originally KDAL-TV, has been the Northland's CBS affiliate since 1955. Quincy is making the change because it agreed to stop selling ads on KDLH as a condition of its purchase of KBJR from Granite Broadcasting. KBJR is a primary NBC affiliate and also carries MyNetworkTV on 6.2, which will presumably move to 6.3. KDLH, owned by SagamoreHill, will become a primary CW affiliate.

The changes that may actually be more noticable to viewers deal with newscasts. KBJR debuted a new news set, Quincy's graphics package, a new evening co-anchor, and a second morning anchor this week. Meanwhile, the CBS channel is taking a two-week break from airing local news. The CBS Evening News has returned to the traditional 5:30 timeslot, and program listings indicate the new CBS lineup will include local newscasts at 6 and 10 p.m. and from 5 to 7 a.m. Up until last week, KDLH had aired live newscasts at 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. and a recorded newscast at 10 p.m.

KBJR also dropped the "Northland's NewsCenter" slogan and has stopped mentioning "Range 11," which referred to satellite station KRII/11.1 (Chisholm). (7/19/2016)

EDIT: Also I read this from Dave Anderson's FB:

As of Friday here, KDLH news is no more. But come Monday, August 1, the new CBS-3 news at 6 and 10 will start with a new set. And, a new sports anchor will join me, Tara Terregeno and Edward Moody. Please tune in then!

So could there be a separate set for the CBS-branded broadcast from this?

Duluth-Superior isn't my home market, but I live close enough to occasionally receive the stations from there when the weather cooperates, like tonight.

Anyway, KBJR's studio cameras are sharper than they used to be, so I would say they've been upgraded to HD after being in widescreen SD for over 5 years. Nevertheless, there's some reasonable doubt in my mind there, as the picture still appeared a bit on the soft side, almost as if the cameras were outputting 720p video that was being upconverted to 1080i for broadcast. Maybe they're secondhand or something.

Meanwhile, the station definitely still does not have the ability to air all local news video in HD. Most of the local news stories continue to feature video showing obvious interlacing artifacts ("jagginess") due to the upconversion process from 480i to 1080i. Frankly, this is something that should have been fixed a long time ago, as most video really doesn't look good at all.

The image seen behind the main desk in the first photo of this thread is, indeed, a live shot from a camera mounted on the exterior of the station's studios (you can see the camera in this Google Street View imagery). However, I'm pretty sure the old studio also had the capability of incorporating live images from this camera into the background if such was desired. In reality, most of the time the image behind the anchors will be a non-live beauty shot of the Duluth Lift Bridge and harbor.

KBJR has unveiled it new (uninspired) logo for the CBS side.

13681063_297612907259500_3676213782926409141_n.jpg?oh=4f3040d68416a125ad0fead1b5ec7ed5&oe=5817D4C9

Take a look at all that room upper left....

I could put a sponsor logo, smiley face, kittens, or even some gang graffiti up in there.

Who is gonna pay to remove the winter snow from that giant space?

Archived