Gretchen Carlson Out at FOX News; Suing Roger Ailes

nynewslover

From this article, some of Ailes conversations with the women might've been recorded.

Meanwhile, 21st Century Fox has begun discussing a settlement in the Gretchen Carlson lawsuit against Ailes, according to two people familiar with the negotiations. The company is requesting that Ailes, who has denied all Carlson’s allegations, fund at least a portion of the settlement, which is expected to reach eight figures, these people said. At issue in the settlement talks is the existence of audio tapes recorded by multiple women in conversation with Ailes, two people familiar with the tapes said. Ailes' lawyers have argued that any negotiation with Carlson should take place in private arbitration, but the specter of a public trial looms. “If they litigate the case, all the tapes will become public, directly and through others,” this person said. “Then you will have a parade of women come in. Nobody wants that.” (Ailes, through his lawyer, denied all allegations.)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New pieces about Ailes, as some are speculating that a settlement for the women coming forward could be near.

I wouldn't be surprised if 21CF is trying their damndest to avoid going to trial on this. But something has got to give. Giving them settlement money just to let this scandal go away is not enough. They need to expose this man for everything he's done, and the ones that helped him.

Also, from the Politico article, one "tipster" said 21CF was unaware of $3.15M settlement of former Fox News booker. Could this scandal become criminal?

Hush money: A media executive and Morning Media reader got in touch regarding Monday’s Financial Times article (http://on.ft.com/2aKiWlL) about the $3.15 million severance payment made to Laurie Luhn in 2011. The gist: “Corporate governance experts have questioned how Roger Ailes was able to use Fox News funds to buy the silence of a woman who complained about him, without it coming to the attention of Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox, owner of the news network.”

Our tipster points out, “The parent company said they didn’t know about the settlement. That means the auditors didn’t know. Willful manipulation of financial documents [within] a publicly audited company is a crime. It’s a violation of securities law pretty clearly.” Translation: Will this shady payment, which Ailes reportedly directed in his former role as Fox News CEO, come back to haunt 21st Century Fox?

I think it's safe to say that we're at a point where this is far worst than the News of the World scandal.

• 3 weeks later...

Gabriel Sherman does it again.

His latest piece absolutely takes Ailes to the woodshed, kicks butt and takes names.

But there's one specific section that could make the "News of the World" phone-hacking scandal look like small potatoes.

Fox News also obtained the phone records of journalists, by legally questionable means. According to two sources with direct knowledge of the incident, (Dianne) Brandi, Fox’s general counsel, hired a private investigator in late 2010 to obtain the personal home- and cell-phone records of Joe Strupp, a reporter for the liberal watchdog group Media Matters. (Through a spokesperson, Brandi denied this.) In the fall of that year, Strupp had written several articles quoting anonymous Fox sources, and the network wanted to determine who was talking to him. “This was the culture. Getting phone records doesn’t make anybody blink,” one Fox executive told me.

Of course, conservatives hate Media Matters. But what Ailes did is... uhhh... illegal. Very illegal. VERY VERY ILLEGAL.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154511716144628

Needless to say, Media Matters is having none of this, and I can't blame them.

Gabriel was also interviewed by The Guardian a few days ago about his previous exposes, and I strongly urge you to read all of it.

This is a watershed moment. Fox News may be unrecognizable - if not unrecoverable - after this election. In many ways, Gretchen Carlson and Megyn Kelly initiated the self-destruct sequence.

Gabriel Sherman does it again.

His latest piece absolutely takes Ailes to the woodshed, kicks butt and takes names.

But there's one specific section that could make the "News of the World" phone-hacking scandal look like small potatoes.

Of course, conservatives hate Media Matters. But what Ailes did is... uhhh... illegal. Very illegal. VERY VERY ILLEGAL.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154511716144628

Needless to say, Media Matters is having none of this, and I can't blame them.

Gabriel was also interviewed by The Guardian a few days ago about his previous exposes, and I strongly urge you to read all of it.

This is a watershed moment. Fox News may be unrecognizable - if not unrecoverable - after this election. In many ways, Gretchen Carlson and Megyn Kelly initiated the self-destruct sequence.

Unrecoverable? Highly, highly doubt that. The faitihful viewers of FNC are generally what, 55+? They'll stick around as long as Hannity and O'Reilly are there.

Unrecoverable? Highly, highly doubt that. The faitihful viewers of FNC are generally what, 55+? They'll stick around as long as Hannity and O'Reilly are there.

Unrecoverable in its current state, I mean. O'Reilly's at that point where he can retire of his own volition. Hannity's current behavior makes him a scapegoat in the event of a (highly probable) Trump loss.

Again, if Ailes were still there, this would not be an issue. But with him gone, the PR nightmare surrounding his departure, and the spectre of most of his hand-picked talent likely suffering a humiliating ideological defeat, all bets are off.

I, for one, welcome the eventual conversion of Fox News into Sky News America.

Same here- hopefully some people from Sky can head over here and begin to rehabilitate FNC. It's too bad that Murdoch's attempts to get Sky satellite service operating in America never happened. He tried, but twice his efforts were foiled. First there was the "Sky Cable" attempt with him, Hughes, NBC and Cablevision. The reasons that failed were A: BSkyB being a money drain, and B: Broadcast networks (including NBC and Fox themselves) were unwilling to provide their schedules for fear of upsetting the affiliates, and cable networks weren't gonna sign up either because of pressure from cable ops. The next attempt, ASkyB (American Sky Broadcasting) was a joint venture with MCI- they even had an uplink facility in Arizona prepped. But the FCC and Congress interfered over the plans to include local TV stations. So Murdoch decided to merge ASkyB with Echostar and Dish Network (with the latter taking the Sky name). But Charlie Ergen didn't get along with other News Corp execs, and the whole deal got scuttled.

Whoever said that the conversion to Sky News US isn't gonna happen? Yeah--after all this, I have bigger belief that it will a year from now, if not really soon (their audience of former/current CBS watchers be damned).

I, for one, welcome the eventual conversion of Fox News into Sky News America.

Me too.

Ohio University has publicly returned a $500K gift from Roger Ailes and has removed his name from the WOUB Radio/TV newsroom.

And when I say publicly, I MEAN publicly.

[MEDIA=twitter]775485500404752384[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]775488933140566017[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]775500056069828610[/MEDIA]

OU is also working to remove Ailes' name from their communications scholarship program...

[MEDIA=twitter]775480057418620928[/MEDIA]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived