WNEP new graphics? Soon to be.

news89

I do like the new graphics, and I know I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for saying this, but someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, take the disc of MCTYW out and destroy it. I don't care what package they go with just something other than that cheesy, dated "package"... I'm also talking to you to WPVI...

Actually, on WPVI MCTYW is life. It's TIMELESS. If WPVI stops using it, there will be heavy criticism. For WNEP, sure this is better than no music, but I'm not sure what to say here.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the thing...I don't have a problem with WPVI using MCTYW. In fact I'm right there with those saying it would be sacrilege for them not to use it. It's Cliff Schwarz's cheesy, 90s dance remix that I have such a problem with...that does need to go, or at least get an update.

I wonder of KFOR will get some kind of new graphics package when they move into their new building soon.

Those graphics won't be there for long. Once Sinclair takes over Tribune, expect the "Curves/Glass" graphics and music package to be phased in.

Here's a video of a WNEP open from 1979. I think it's safe to say they're the 6ABC of NEPA .... multiplied by 10 at least.

The other stations up there don't even deserve the air space they take up. WNEP can do anything they want and people will still watch. I have a feeling a music change at WNEP would be way worse than WPVI's attempt to change the music in the 90s.

WNEP needs to let this Cliff Schwartz 90s version of MCTYW die in peace. Unlike the original MCTYW, it just doesn't sound as timeless as the Philly version. Granted, the Sinclair music is meh but at least isn't dipped in layers of 90s and 70s cheese.

I wonder of KFOR will get some kind of new graphics package when they move into their new building soon.

I doubt it because there's really no need to switch graphics when KFOR-KAUT will be sold to either a new owner or to Sinclair (with KOKH-KOCB going to new owners)

You're mostly forgetting that Dreamcatcher still "owns" WNEP, not Tribune. After the Tronc split, WNEP was never taken into the Tribune fold, I presume for then-existing cap reasons.

Allegedly Wilkes-Barre was one of the very few "markets" tabbed for "divestitures" by Sinclair. That's all a bunch of hooey, but it might not be shocking to see WNEP effectively run as a separate entity until either someone comes to buy it, or until the ownership caps are eliminated by Altji PaiD Off.

Point being, the Borging of WNEP into the Sinclair Monolith may not be that immediate.

Moreover, Sinclair DOES NOT own WOLF as they're owned by New Age Media as Sinclair only manages that station. I wonder if Sinclair can purchase WNEP, turn over WOLF's operations to New Age, and allow WNEP to produce news for WOLF as it would bring that product back to SWB from South Bend.

You're mostly forgetting that Dreamcatcher still "owns" WNEP, not Tribune. After the Tronc split, WNEP was never taken into the Tribune fold, I presume for then-existing cap reasons.

Allegedly Wilkes-Barre was one of the very few "markets" tabbed for "divestitures" by Sinclair. That's all a bunch of hooey, but it might not be shocking to see WNEP effectively run as a separate entity until either someone comes to buy it, or until the ownership caps are eliminated by Altji PaiD Off.

Point being, the Borging of WNEP into the Sinclair Monolith may not be that immediate.

. This graphics package is more similar to Norfolk VA stations WTKR/WGNT (Also owned by Dreamcatcher Broadcasting due to Tribune also owning the Daily Press).

• 1 month later...
One year ago in January 2015, WNEP refreshed their graphics. In fact one person called the station "you bunch of jerks" for changing the graphics.

Speaking of which. There was another Talkback segment on the new Tribune graphics.

Bonus: One of the callers complained about them still using MCTYW.

(Credit to NEPA Media Tube for the video)

I think that's the job of the creative department, not the engineers.

Well I mean in the essence of making it look better. I wasn’t talking about the engineering department specifically but they do work in the same building as eachother and can refer it.

If they're watching the SD feed on their cable provider, then likely the sides were cut off due to the new graphics not being 4:3 safe. Likely, they're now forcing the SD feed to be letterboxed.

And the next slew of Talkbacks will be people complaining about the black bars on the screen!

The current "standard" version of the theme used by WPVI in 2017 is still a remixed version, so saying that they keep it is moot unless they want to bring back older-sounding mixes.

Nah. They use a remastered version of the original. All they've done is restore the sound quality of the original recordings and update it for stereo playback (not sure if they made it full 5.1). A remix would imply wholesale editing, reorchestration, adding bits that weren't there before, etc.

Nah. They use a remastered version of the original. All they've done is restore the sound quality of the original recordings and update it for stereo playback (not sure if they made it full 5.1). A remix would imply wholesale editing, reorchestration, adding bits that weren't there before, etc.

Nope. The orchestration in the modern versions of the opening sounds not quite the same as it once did in the past.

• 2 weeks later...
Nope. The orchestration in the modern versions of the opening sounds not quite the same as it once did in the past.

As part of the remastering process, they're able to bring out different instruments, lower the volume of others, etc. Notice how the current open is also slightly faster than the "original"? It's not a remix, but rather a different set of cuts composed by Al Ham himself.

I feel like WNEP would be the perfect station to use the MCTYW "Cue" package by 615. Suitable, modern-day replacement.

Archived